Is There A Golden Era Of 10/22 Production ? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:32 PM
moparclan
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

My oldest 10/22 was made in 1968 and is in excellent condition. The anodizing on the trigger guard has lightened up some but the receiver still looks great. I have a stainless international that has the clear coated receiver and trigger guard, both have and almost rainbow/iridescent sheen to them. Really awesome looking.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:08 PM
staff3704
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
I think Sturm and Ruger both set out to manufacture as cheap as possible from the get go. Just look at their casting side gig, been casting and plastic injecting for long time.
I think the period between late 60s maybe into the very early 80s where maybe the peak. The wood and metal finish always looks better? But hey what do you want for -$250 rifle.

What do you mean $250? My first 10/22 was $49.95 brand new (in the 60s).
Old 01-22-2018, 06:46 AM
Silver78
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I think today is the golden age of 10/22 production.

Yes my first 10/22 had a factory walnut stock and only cost $89. But look at all of the options available from Ruger today. Would you trade the nicer receiver finish for no TDs? Not me. What about the new Target Lite? I think it's an awesome design. Want the old style rifle? Get the sporter. Or better yet go get a Kidd receiver/barrel/trigger set up and have lbjennings make you an awesome custom stock.

These are the good old days.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:07 AM
OleFreak
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Prior to ~ 1971, instead of only one there were dual bolt guide rails cast onto the 10/22™ receivers’ ceiling. The raised rib on the bolt’s topside was supposed to closely track up in betwixt the dual bolt guide rails preventing the bolt from a zigzag motion and/or venturing off to either side during its travels, off of the barrel’s chamber and bore centerline.

The dual guide rails can work very well but only provided the bolt fits closely enough between the dual rails, which I understand was more often not the case with the rib on OEM bolts running way too skinny. I fixed that pesky problem on my 1970 dual guide rails receiver by running a Kidd bolt with its near perfect fit.

The receiver is a build’s foundation. When its foundation is somewhere a little off then so is every other part mounted within or hung from that foundation, no matter how closely machined those other parts might be.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:33 AM
SgtH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recently purchased a used 50th Anniversary DCW. It looks as though the previous owner shot it very little. I took it apart and cleaned it up and was impressed with the finish of the receiver. No casting flaws or flash and reasonably smooth. bolt looks a little different and not finished as well as my 20 year old one and one from the 70's. trigger pull was about 5.5lbs and a little gritty. I shot it first with the factory sights and found it was still shooting a little high at 25yds with the elevation bottomed out. Hitting center on a 2.5" bull with a 6 o'clock hold. With it zeroed for windage the rear sight was almost perfectly centered between the sight wings so the barrel hole is not crooked in the receiver as some have found on newer models. Accuracy wise it is better than I remember the older ones. I managed about 1" @ 25 with bulk Federal with the irons which I think is pretty good given my 60 year old eyes and bifocals. With a 4x scope and CCI SV it shot groups in the .3's and low.4's. Have not shot it at 50. Maybe I got a good one or Ruger paid more attention to the anniversary model.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:10 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've seen or heard about good and not so good 10/22s from every decade. It's just luck of the draw, and personal preference.

I had an early 80s model carbine, if I remember right a blued barrel and anodized receiver; walnut stain on birch stock. I sanded it to bare birch and a spray can polyurethane finish. Looked better than fake walnut, to me. It shot well, typical 10/22 accuracy and function.

I now have a 2009 DSP, walnut stock (standard), black oxide barrel and crinkle paint receiver. The black oxide has done well, just a couple of scratches that Birchwood-Casey Super Blue made disappear. The crinkle paint is almost like new. A few dull spots from the scope mount that flat black Testor's paint on a toothpick undid. I don't mind it as it's easy to repair, compared to anodizing.

I guess I'm pretty careful, the stock is unblemished so far.

The 2009 shoots okay, no function issues, and I can do inside three inches at 50 yards. I'm sure my shooting ability is below the gun's.

Last edited by bearcatter; 01-22-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:35 PM
langss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two 74' vintage, (walnut stock metal, butt plate)both bought new, a few weeks apart. Both shoot about the same. I bought an 80's vintage from a co-worker for $80 with case and ammunition. Considering it was splattered with house paint and probably was never cleaned, it turned out to be a really good shooter. The last one I bought is the Tact-e-cool model. I got it NIB again from a co-worker, nice but not as nice as the older models.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:27 AM
mac1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by staff3704 View Post
was referencing todays prices new, seems like they average $250 depending on saes and specials.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:55 PM
Roadrat

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by staff3704 View Post
$49.95 in 1964 is $398.51 in 2017 dollars..........getting cheaper all the time!!