Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-04-2020, 12:21 AM
Poper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile T1X ammo tests

I have had my T1X for almost a year. I have done a little plinking and have shot a Small Bore Silhouette Match with it. So far, I have been impressed with the function and accuracy of the little gun. Still, I had not done any serious ammo testing as I wanted to get at least a couple hundred rounds downrange first. The trigger has been adjusted to a consistent measured 1lb 6oz. The scope is a Weaver 36x Target scope with a target dot reticle and adjustable objective with 1" tube and set in medium-high airgun rings.

ETA: Fired distance was 50 yards. Outdoors. Winds light and variable from rear-right and from rear-left. Temperature was 95+; Humidity 20%+/-; location = Rio Salado Shooting Range. This was purely a data gathering exercise and not intended to show my prowess (or lack thereof) or to acquire or imply bragging rights of any kind. I enjoy the shooting sports and have competed in a modest way at indoor NRA 4 position (as a youngster in the late 60's) and recently in Rifle Silhouette. I claim bragging rights in nothing.

I have accumulated a variety of ammunition over the last year plus I had already purchased a case of SK Rifle Match for my Sako P04 and a case of Aguila Rifle Match Competition for general purpose use because the ARMC has yet to fail to fire and its accuracy isn't bad. (Actually, it's pretty darn good for the price and I find it more than adequate for the old Remington 572 and the Browning Buckmark rifle.)
Over the last few months I was able to acquire at least 100 rounds of 10 different ammos to try: RWS Rifle Match, RWS R100, Lapua X-Act, Eley Target, Eley Practice, Eley Team, Eley Club, Sellier & Bellot High Velocity and SK Long Range Match.

Attached are two targets fired on the same day. Winds were light and variable.
Temperature in the high 90's. Humidity about 20% and altitude 1200' a.m.s.l.
The first target was 1-5 round group of each ammo and the second target is one 10-round group of the same ammos fired at the bulls in the same locations on the target with the sole exception of the SK Rifle Match. Because the S&B was so wild, the SK Rifle Match 10 round group was fired into the center "sighting" bull.

Interesting that some of the ammo 10 round groups tracked closely with their 5 round counterparts. A couple did not. - The Eley Target and Eley Club, for example, showed great promise with their 5 round group but did not do so well with 10 rounds. On the other hand, Lapua X-Act was so-so for 5 rounds, but 10 rounds was much better. I found it comforting to see the SK Rifle Match's 10-round group! Goes nicely with those of the Sako P04 which is my ammo for Small Bore Rifle Silhouette in the Sako.

I also have a few more to test at a later date (possibly Friday?): Lapua Midas+, Aguila Rifle Match Competition, Aguila High Velocity, and CCI-Green Tag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5-round groups.jpg (533.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 10-round groups.jpg (532.7 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by Poper; 08-11-2020 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:45 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Not bad for 10 shot groups looks like the SK may be the ticket
Old 08-06-2020, 12:00 PM
Poper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWstickman View Post
Not bad for 10 shot groups looks like the SK may be the ticket
SK Rifle match is my practice ammo of choice.
The Lapua X-Act is my preferred competition ammo, though. One brick will supply quite a few 50 yard benchrest matches and/or silhouette matches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2020, 08:06 PM
prairie maggot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Either I am missing it or it is not stated - I assume that all these were shot at 100 yards. Is that right? Burt
Old 08-08-2020, 08:17 PM
bobnoffs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
guess it all doesn't mean much without the distance. i was assuming 50 yds.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:56 PM
SLS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie maggot View Post
Either I am missing it or it is not stated - I assume that all these were shot at 100 yards. Is that right? Burt
God I hope so. At 50 those were nothing to brag about.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Maybe be they were for the OP

Old 08-10-2020, 09:17 AM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah...I'm wondering about yardage and where you get 20% humidity!! I'm in NE Kansas and lately 80% is typical and miserable.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:11 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
The SK Rifle Match on the last target is a nice grouping considering it was 10 shots
Old 08-10-2020, 02:32 PM
dallee

TPC Rating: 
50% (0)
Mine seems to have the potential to shoot many of them nicely but next time out I am focusing on Eley Team and a couple more.

These are only at 25 yards cause the 50 yard target was down last time I went out.

Mine has the spring in it and a couple hundred rounds.

Good luck, they seem to be shooters for sure.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:20 PM
Poper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie maggot View Post
No. 50 yards. My apologies.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:21 PM
Poper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Bragging? No. Just data.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:01 AM
Jursel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I picked up a T1X last week and took it to the range for the first time this weekend. Did a quick ammo test of sorts, just with what I had laying around. Shot at 50yds, on a gorgeous British Columbia day with 3-4 MPH winds. Most of these were 2 groups, 5 for fouling and 5 for the actual group. So far CCI Blazer once again impressed me with its cost to accuracy ratio. My 10/22 loves it as well. Interesting difference between the 10/22 and T1X is Eley Force vs Eley Club. Force being better in the 10/22 and Club being better in the T1X. I have had excellent experience with RWS Target Rifle in both.

This test was pretty haphazard, looking forward to getting a wider assortment of ammo and being more methodical about it.

Off topic, I find the bolt on the T1X to be pretty stiff when cocking. It is brand new, so I imagine it will wear in. I did add some general purpose grease to the cocking surfaces after I got back and it seems a little better. Anyone else have any comments on this?

Last edited by Jursel; 08-24-2020 at 11:06 AM.