Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Anschutz Replacement and Aftermarket Stocks

127K views 100 replies 55 participants last post by  Shrink 
#1 · (Edited)
I did quite a lot of research looking for places that will inlet Model 54 and 64 Anschutz actions. Some inlet 54, others 64 and a very few do both. Here is the list I have come up with so far. I will add more once I have located them. Hopefully this will become a sticky so others don't have to do as much hunting for this information.

The below makers all make one or the other of, left shooter, right action, left shooter, left action and right hand versions.

Last Edited Feb 24, 2024

Stock Interchangeability information

1710, 1712, 1720 and 1730 interchange

From Camster - Dean, all 1700 series stocks will interchange,provided that they are for the same style of safety and the same barrel contour. Standard barrel channels will need to be opened up for heavy barrels. Some early side safety guns use the same basic stock pattern as the earlier wing safety stocks, so they will work with wing safety action stocks. Later side safety stocks will not work with the wing safety action stocks unless a channel is cut on the right side to accommodate the side safety mechanism.

1727 22 RF and the 1827 Biathlon and 1927 fast fire stocks interchange. You can also put the action in any 1900 single shot stock but the magazine well and front recoil lug (1727 action only) will need to be inlet and the stock adjusted for the Fortner bolt and safety.

The 54.18 and the 54.18 MSR will fit into any 1900 series stock as long as you inlet the magazine for the MSR.

1700 Match 54 Repeater vs. Match 54 Single Shot ( 1900 Series) Action Design From Anschutz Site Technical Questions

We get this question a lot about if a 1700 series will fit in a Match 54 stock from a 1900 series, or if a 1900 series can be fit into a 1710 or 1712 stock. The short answer is no; they are different.

With both actions stripped of triggers, they give the initial impression that you can. They are very similar in length and the same OD, but there are two very critical details which prevent this.

To help show this, here are a few photos below. The screws threaded into the action show where the action screws are located.

The 5018 trigger mounted on the 1913 sits much further back on the action, very close to the end of the tang. To fit this in a Sporter stock ( 1700 series ) requires considerable wood removal. Most Sporter stocks will not allow this and become too weak in that area.

This may also help the question about swapping triggers between these models; it cannot be done. The photos below show why.

Will an 1807 barreled action fit a 1413 or 1411 stock?

From Thomasconnor You'll have to inlet for the trigger. A bit to the rear and a lot for the side safety, which if removed requires much less work. The lower stock below has been inlet for 18XX and 19XX actions...Tom

Inletting for a 54.18 MSR

Bottom

Top view

All model 64 repeaters prior to 2009 interchange. All single shot 64 actions interchange before 2009. You can tell the larger 26MM action predominantely by the largge black plastic bolt handle and scallops on the top of the action. You can Devcon the larger stock to accept the smaller, earlier 64 action.

After 2009 the action is slightly larger in diameter, 26mm. 1415/1417/1516/1617 and MPR all interchange with exception of barrel diameter.

Model 64 R Benchrest

Stock Maker information

ANSCHÜTZ North America - Now Has A Custom shop operation that also does Stocks. Not cheap but very nice work. They do not take customer orders, rifles must be factory new when they enter the Custom shop and are then bought by a customer.

Stocks

XLR Element 4.0 Chassis, TR-2 Buttstock & Ergo Tactical Grip

Update Feb 2020 XLR Chassis stocks available as stock only form Anschutz

54 Action Stocks
XLR Element 4.0 - Stock Only

SKU: XLR.GEN41700
US$695.00

Anschutz Custom XLR Element 4.0 for 1710 or 1712 models

Chassis Features:

Machined from solid 6061 T-6 billet aluminum
MLOK™ attachment points down both sides of forearm
Tactical-Lite Buttstock
RRS (Really Right Stuff) Spec 1.5" Dovetail (Arca-Swiss) forearm
Anschutz 10-5/8 inch Rail at 6 o'clock position of forend
Multi-point radial cut inlet eliminates the need for traditional V-Block or Glass Bedding
Adjustable LOP: 12" to 15"
Adjustable Butt-Plate Height 1.575"
Adjustable Cheek Piece Height & 10 degree cant
Built in bubble level - New on the 4.0 version
User inter-changeable pistol grip
Weight of chassis with action screws 3 lbs 7.5oz

GSI Building
7661 Commerce LN
Trussville, AL 35173-2837
Phone: 205-655-7500, and 205-655-7502
Sales: sales@anschutznorthamerica.com
General Information: info@anschutznorthamerica.com
Service & Repairs: service@anschutznorthamerica.com

Baer Custom Rifles - Make a large selection of Target stocks and some REALLY cool all aluminum ones.
http://www.baercustomrifles.com/

Boyd's Rifle Stock - So far only for the Anschutz 64 action in right hand. Feb 2024 still just 64 rh action

Brown Precisison
http://www.brownprecision.com/brown-precision-stocks.htm

Kelby Stocks - makes 54 BR and other styles.
http://www.kelbly.com/stocks-kelbly-brfb-hcfb.html

McMillan Rifle Stocks
Macmillan Stocks - MCMFamily.com

Don Stith
St. Louis Plains Rifle Co. - Don Stith
Unfortunately Don Passed in July 2022. Marks is still carving stocks like he did for 25 years for Don but you have to inlet the trigger and finish the stock, which is the part Don used to do.
Mark Weader
Jack's Mountain Stock Co.
101 Cave Lane
McClure, PA 17841
Shop #717-543-5370
carve4utwo@gmail.com

Great American Gunstock Company
Great American Gunstock Company

Aug 2015 Update The Great American Gunstock Co. is no longer manufacturing gunstocks.
We have a limited inventory of stocks which we are selling at reduced prices and you can reach us at the following number:
(530) 632-9834
Henry L. Pohl

Most of the assets--machinery, patterns, tooling, etc. have been purchased by...
Walnut Grove Gunstocks
711 Hale Rd.
Weiser, Idaho 83673
(208) 549-1323

You can contact them about your custom gunstock needs....

Richards Microfit - The Actions are not listed but they do them if you talk to them.
Richards Microfit Gunstocks

Master Class Stocks (814) 742-7868.
MASTER CLASS Stocks and Shooting Accessories, Inc.

MPI Gunstocks
http://www.mpistocks.com/index.htm

Shehane Tracker Stocks
Target Stocks - Nightforce scopes & Shehane Tracker Stocks - Custom Rifle Stocks

Canyon Creek - Expensive but truly beautiful Custom Walnut stocks
Canyon Creek Gun Stock

Thanks to NMC EXP - Another custom rifle builder and stock maker for your list is:

Doan Trevor Doan Trevor Custom Rifle Building

Staffordshire Synthetic Stocks - England Staffordshire Synthetic Stocks

TM Stock Works Stockwork, solvent, oil & grease

From Bronco - Just got back from the 2017 shot Show where I found MDT, mdttac.com that makes chassis for 54 and 64 actions. Uses AR stock and pistol grip. LSS-22 chassis also made for Ruger American, Browning T-bolt, CZ 455, and Savage Mark II. Have one on order for a 1710 DHB, will report when I've had a chance to test it out.

Modular Driven Technologies MDT Chassis Systems, Magazines & Accessories for Precision Rifles Cost of Chassis $400. No evidence of Left hand for 54 or 64 actions so a call may be necessary.

Manners Composit Stocks - MCS https://mannersstocks.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=anschutz+64+action
Many choices of stock for the 54 and 64 action.
We are currently in contract with Anschutz so we are unable to sell to the public, but if you would like one you can order directly through Anschutz North America. Thank you

Taelor
1232 Swift Ave | Kansas City MO 64116
816.283.3334 | sales@mannersstocks.com
www.mannersstocks.com
Added May 2017

Gunville Stocks Gunville.com || Hand Made Quality Reproduction Gun Stocks. Made in USA Will Duplicate your stock and provides inletted stocks for 54 and 64 actions. Added May 2017

MCRS Tactical CNC made stocks.http://www.mcrstactical.com 403-401-1313. They currently do Biathlon stocks for most 22s, Will produce stocks in wood (Walnut, Cherry, Maple), or composite. They make a wide selection of F-class, BR, Hunting and Tactical stocks. Their prices are Canadian so you save 35%, They will assist in filling out the BTF Import form at no charge.

Zorrow Stock Maker
Custom Stocks in 54 and 64 actions. Excels in bench rest configurations but will do all requests.
The picture of the Model 64R benchrest above is one of his.
Email = res04iay@frontier.com
Phone = 425-344-1602

Carl Bernosky http://www.carlbernosky.com.

Wenig Custom Gunstocks
http://www.wenig.com/

PSE Composits Ireland
http://www.pse-composites.com/

McRee Precision
https://shop.mcreesprecision.net/G10...-COMP-AN64.htm
PHONE 662-453-0022, TECH/INFO-EMAIL contact@mcreesprecision.net

GRS Rifle Stocks. Make quite a few models and different inlets
https://www.grsriflestocks.com/rifle-stocks

MDT Tactical Chassis add Feb 2020
https://mdttac.ca/lss-chassis-system/

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a McMillan and had a Richards Microfit (a lot of finishing work), but LeRoy has done a Winchester 52B, Kimber 82A, Cooper 21 Varmint Extreme and a CZ527FS for me -- they are all works of art! :bthumb::bthumb: There are several stock style options too. And Camster here has had a few Annies done at Canyon Creek as well. I'm sure you can pay less but you won't get any better. Whether the import hassles make it worth it is another question.

Doug

#3 ·
Leroy has done stocks for our friends north of the border.Perhaps one of them can answer this question,but I imagine that he has to do sort of a generic fit,as it's too difficult to send an action south for a proper bedding?
I certainly pleased with the stocks that Canyon Creek has done for me.

#7 ·
I very much appreciate the work Dean has done to put his list together however I must gripe that it is not accurate in the statement that all of those manufacturers make stocks for Match64 rifles or left handed versions.

Having contacted some of these makers they either have completely ignored me (Master Class Stocks) or blown me off saying they only do a model 54 action (Richards). I was hoping I could find a relatively cheap replacement stock but as of now have had no luck whatsoever.

#8 ·
If stock makers prefer to limit the number of different actions they build for, that is their right. No one builds stocks for every action. The folks at Richards Microfit were not blowing you off. They were just letting you know they do not make what you are looking to buy. I had an excellent left handed thumbhole varmint stock from Richards Microfit on my Savage 93R17. It came needing final fitting and a finish, like most do that come from similar companies.

Part of your problem may be in the fact that you are searching for a 'relatively cheap replacement stock'. I have bought several replacement stocks from different sellers. None of them could be called cheap, by any stretch of the imagination.

My three Don Stith stocks (two 54 action and one CZ) each came with the bolt handle channel needing to be cut and therefore could be called ambidextrous. The same was true of my Kelbly stock. The wood stocks also needed to be bedded and to have the customer apply the final finish. I had everything other than the sanding and finishing done professionally by Russ Haydon.

The cheapest stocks I have ever bought were used stocks from RFC members. One member sold me a beautiful varmint stock for my LH Precision 10/22 M. Most recently an RFC Member sold me a custom BR stock for my Martini MK II. I suggest you check out the RFC Trading post.

With a bit of patience and careful research, you could find a decent stock for any rifle. It might not be cheap. Dean2's list is a good place to start your search.

#12 · (Edited)
No you aren't and I appreciate you weighing in. I also take no offense at what maksimus54 posted as it allowed me to provide much needed clarification on the original post.

Anschutz is a unique enough gun that finding anything for them is a challenge, finding replacement stocks or especially left had stuff only adds to the fun. I am hoping others will post stuff they find and I will update the original post to include it so everyone can benefit. It takes hours of research to find this info so the more people that can help out populating this sticky with detailed info the happier I and all the other Annie aficionados will be. It is all good. We are just a bunch of unique people trying to help each other out. No offense needs be given or taken because I am POSITIVE none was meant.

#13 ·
trade LH for RH model 54 1413

I understand the frustration here, especially for a southpaw. Oddly, I just inherited a Model 54 Supermatch 1413, made in the 1960s, with a lefthanded thumbhole stock that I would dearly love to trade for a right handed stock of some sort.

As a new member, I'll have to find out if there is an equipment exchange function on this site.....

#23 ·
Master Class is not out of business and I am very happy with Alex's work over the last 17 years I have been working with him. His stocks have enabled me to achieve the following:
- Twenty 1600 possible prone scores
- Two any sight 3200 scores
- One iron/any sight 3200
- Camp Perry any sight champion
- Dewar Team Member Camp Perry
- Multiple local, regional and national level match winning scores

I don't trust a rifle unless Alex has bedded the action. I took the first rifle he built for me in 1997 (52E action, Kenyon Trigger, Schneider barrel done by Kenyon) to the Lapua Test Center last spring and after 100K rounds the best group at 50M was 11.02mm and at 100M the group was 22mm with Midas Plus.

His basic prone stock (laminated wood) is approximately $1K and it is worth every penny.

I highly endorse his products!

Bill

#24 · (Edited)
Master Class Stocks Update

I spoke with alex sitman this morning, yes they're very much in business,
and yes they have a 64 action pattern, give him a call if he can help you he
will. i've had him work on my rifles, i'm very pleased with the work, in fact i
don't know anyone else personally that can do better. thanks. no. is 814-742-7868.

#30 · (Edited)
Just finished the new Left Hand stock for the right hand 54.18 Match Repeater I bought. This started out as a block of walnut so thought you guys might be interested in seeing the end result. This is finished with Tru-oil but prior to waxing and re-installing the metal work. It is also Devcon bedded and you can still see a bit of the red Plasticine that I used for void filler. The Devcon is actually perfectly smooth, what looks like roughness is just sanding dust that I didn't realize was in the picture till I posted it on here.

#40 ·
I am awaiting my new Model 64 to be delivered once ANA gets the threaded 18" barreled action in from Germany. In talking with the guys there, they have said they will be offering the same Manners T6 stock as a separate upgrade once they have sold the limited run of prebuilt rifles. Keep an eye on the website to see when they will offer it.

#42 ·
Correct. The 10A is a single shot 64, and Boyds only routes for s sporter with magazine and tapered bbl, so I had a lot of work to do, like epoxying in a post for the stock screw, adding a bushing for the trigger guard screw, etc. it would have been easier to add wood to the 10A stock and send it to someone like Richards to be duplicated.