Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Show me your 54 Sporters

187K views 443 replies 150 participants last post by  refuze2falo 
#1 ·
I miss the one I traded off to my dad and I need a fix. I'm hoping I can find an older pristine one in Tulsa in April but I need a hold over.

#117 ·
Just got this in from the S&W board. I know little about Anschutz, except they are top quality, and apparently, beautiful guns. Mine is marked model 54 sporter. Trying to wade thru all the model numbers. What is the 14xx 17xx etc model that this one would relate to. The seller said it was early 70's gun as best he could remember.

thanks for looking,
Charlie

#130 ·
I've recently found my Dad's long lost S-A 54 Sporter. It's been here in this house since 2003 when I moved in here to help care for my mother shortly after Dad died.
I remember it; he used that rifle to kill squirrels after he bought it new in 1979. I was 7 years old and still remember him bringing it home. I got to shoot it, naturally, and tag along with him in the woods. I carried a 20 guage single shot. My job was to back him up, if he missed and the squirrel took off I took over, which never happened because he never missed a squirrel. When I finally started carrying a rifle, around 12 years old to think, I used an old Browning T-Bolt. I could hit anything (the size of a squirrel's head, at least).
When I came back from the Persion. Gulf War, and squirrel season rolled around, he'd switched rifles. He used an ANCIENT Sportsmaster with an even ANCIENT-ER Weaver 4x scope on it. Said he could see as well as he used to. I never questioned him about that S-A 54 rifle. I assumed it was in a safe or at one of my Brother's homes. He decided he liked the Sportsmaster better, because he could load up shorts, sit under a Hickory-Nut tree and pop Grays out one after another. Their teeth squeak so loudly when cutting hickory nuts that they couldn't hear the rifle go off.
Well, I found that rifle in a closet of a room where my parents' possessions were shoved crudely into a closet (not to get them out of my way, but to get them out of my sight, as they would bring me to my knees with sobbing). The other day when I found that rifle in that closet (with a couple other firearms) I did the same thing. I must have spen an hour just staring into the depths of that closet, sadness overwhelming me. But I am HAPPY to report that, even though it's sat cocked in that closet since at least 1991, it suffered no damage to the wood or metal. It fires, though a bit meekly I think. I've already ordered a set of Kelbly's Rings, a Leupold 6.5-20x40mm AO EFR TD scope, a plus 10% striker spring and Trigger Spring Kit from J&P, and a Win 94 sight hood for it, and I will take photos and post soon.
I add this to my collection of Annies from my 4H Shooting Sports as a kid, and rimfire competitions throughout my adult life. This one means the most. I rarely post here, but after finding that rifle and reading all the threads that are either dedicated to, or otherwise mention it, I had to. Sorry it was so long winded!!

#145 ·
I've recently found my Dad's long lost S-A 54 Sporter. It's been here in this house since 2003 when I moved in here to help care for my mother shortly after Dad died.
I remember it; he used that rifle to kill squirrels after he bought it new in 1979. I was 7 years old and still remember him bringing it home. I got to shoot it, naturally, and tag along with him in the woods. I carried a 20 guage single shot. My job was to back him up, if he missed and the squirrel took off I took over, which never happened because he never missed a squirrel. When I finally started carrying a rifle, around 12 years old to think, I used an old Browning T-Bolt. I could hit anything (the size of a squirrel's head, at least).
When I came back from the Persion. Gulf War, and squirrel season rolled around, he'd switched rifles. He used an ANCIENT Sportsmaster with an even ANCIENT-ER Weaver 4x scope on it. Said he could see as well as he used to. I never questioned him about that S-A 54 rifle. I assumed it was in a safe or at one of my Brother's homes. He decided he liked the Sportsmaster better, because he could load up shorts, sit under a Hickory-Nut tree and pop Grays out one after another. Their teeth squeak so loudly when cutting hickory nuts that they couldn't hear the rifle go off
Well, I found that rifle in a closet of a room where my parents' possessions were shoved crudely into a closet (not to get them out of my way, but to get them out of my sight, as they would bring me to my knees with sobbing). The other day when I found that rifle in that closet (with a couple other firearms) I did the same thing. I must have spen an hour just staring into the depths of that closet, sadness overwhelming me. But I am HAPPY to report that, even though it's sat cocked in that closet since at least 1991, it suffered no damage to the wood or metal. It fires, though a bit meekly I think. I've already ordered a set of Kelbly's Rings, a Leupold 6.5-20x40mm AO EFR TD scope, a plus 10% striker spring and Trigger Spring Kit from J&P, and a Win 94 sight hood for it, and I will take photos and post soon.
I add this to my collection of Annies from my 4H Shooting Sports as a kid, and rimfire competitions throughout my adult life. This one means the most. I rarely post here, but after finding that rifle and reading all the threads that are either dedicated to, or otherwise mention it, I had to. Sorry it was so long winded!!
Thanks so much for posting this story , I loved it ..TOOTY:)

#131 ·
Thinknow,
Thanks for that story. I never had a Dad figure in my life, and lived vicariously through hunting stories, and the tales of friends. I've had 2 children somewhat later in life than most, and can only hope I've been able to give them some memories like you have of your Dad. Sounds like he did alright raising you, with a decent appreciation of what he left behind for you to enjoy.
Again, great to hear, shoot that rifle well :t
Take care,
warren

#132 ·
Thank you! I can't wait to try it out. If it shoots as well as my other Annies and my CZ 452, I will have found (literally) my new squirrel rifle. I just received my rings from Kelbly's, they are about as good as they come. Great guys there to deal with as well; I can't say enough about their service or their products. I've also been chatting and ordering from J&P Gun Springs, Jim there has gone out of his way to hook me up with a new set of bottom metal screws.
Since I'm here on this thread, if some of you wouldn't mind sharing some of your vast knowledge regarding these SA 54 Sporter's, I have a few questions. When I removed the stock I noticed that there are some, for lack of a better term, pillars through which the action screws reside. Is it common practice for people to Devcon Bed these actions to improve accuracy, or are they pretty much sufficiently bedded with the pillars? I am waiting for my striker spring, action screws, and trigger spring to arrive before I take it out back to shoot it. While waiting for these parts, I intend to mount the scope and clean everything thoroughly. It would be a good opportunity to Devcon bed it this weekend. I'm not one to engage in preemptive bedding! I believe the advice that follows this will coincide with my own opinions of this matter, that I should put it through it's paces first, but if there are some experts here that have experience on this issue, please tell me what you think! Also, there are some dings, dents, and scratches on the stock. I want to refinish it eventually and wonder if anyone knows whether these rifles were stained or simply oil finished? I may leave it as is if it needs staining, so as to keep it looking the same as it does now. I am struggling with the thought of altering it from the way it was when my Dad used it. Though, I think my unabashed tinkering habit is inherited from him, the need to change things pulls at me like gravity! I think he would have done the same thing, the number of times he would start tweaking triggers on a brand new gun is the reason I'm such a trigger snob today...
I've been an active reader of these forums for many years and value the varying opinions of the many posters who frequently add their $.02. I've learned loads about this rifle in a very short period of time right here at RC, and have been immensely impressed by the courtesy demonstrated here compared to a lot of other forums. So I would invite as many opinions as possible as to what I should or shouldn't do to this rifle. To be honest, I've already been influenced by this group of posters regarding the scope to mount, the sight hood, the springs, and so many of my questions were answered without having to ask. For example, the bluing of the receiver is uneven but not at all as a result of damage or abuse; and a quick search here proved useful as these rifles are apparently famous for this due to the heat treating of the receiver. The knowledge base here is astounding, and it's really refreshing to see that. After dealing with the ineptitude of the "experts" at chain stores, this forum is a veritable encyclopedia of accurate information. I'm here to stay!

#142 ·
Now,if Talley would only follow the suggestion that I gave them years ago-shortening the bases so that the front one doesn't overhang the loading port.
If the front base has just one lug on the front edge,and the rear base has just one lug on the rear,the scope's not going anywhere.