Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Show me your 54 Sporters

187K views 443 replies 150 participants last post by  refuze2falo 
#1 ·
I miss the one I traded off to my dad and I need a fix. I'm hoping I can find an older pristine one in Tulsa in April but I need a hold over.

#4 ·
Hmm...for the absolute smallest groups the 1717d at the bottom can get ridiculous at times, the 1710dkl at top not too far behind and the 1720d in the middle is third but all are capable of sub MOA with their favorite ammunition on a given day. Fun wise I'm happy shooting any of them.

This post has been deleted
#51 ·
Here's a couple of versions you don't see every day:

I find these models with two action screws a little easier to tune than my 65 model with the barrel bulge and three screws.
The single stage triggers on these new ones are pretty good with a simple sear adjustment and spring change.
Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly is that rifle on the very bottom?

With the exquisite dark wood and stainless barrel? I assume it is aftermarket, but it is one of the most beautiful guns I have ever seen. Could someone tell me exactly what it is, and if it is possible to buy it, LOL.

This post has been deleted
#14 ·
There is a place in my heart reserved for Anschütz 54 sporters, here are pictures of mine. I have given one 1423, one 1422, and a 1420 to my sons but they are still in my picture library.

Early 1423

later 1423, still pre-1958

another 1422

at the bottom is a picture of the 1420

What a great opportunity to show of my lovely ladies;)!

#15 ·
Iron 85
The 1422 was made in the 70's I don't recall what year, I bought it last year at a local gunshop, it was a consignment gun. I'm to embarassed and guilty feeling to say what I paid for it but it was almost nothing. The gun was like new, I got it the same day it was put up for sale, I shouldn't feel guilty because they set the price but still.....
Here's an interesting aside, I believe the quality is slightly better on the 1422's than on the current 1712's. When I shot groups with it last summer it clearly grouped better than my 1712 {2003} as well as several others at the range that day.

#17 ·
I can't even begin to keep up with all of the 14XX. I am partial to the older guns though. They just seem to be made better IMO.
I really appreciate the pictures though. I love to see all of those straight tubes it just goes with the sporter look. The rifle I had bought was owned by an old man that took it on safaris all over the world. It was a special gun and even with the 2 3/4 power redfield it would outshoot anything I've ever touched. I don't deal with bench guns though they just aren't my niche.

#19 · (Edited)
The first gun is a 1712, I just put the McMillian stock on it last week and bedded the action. The light is bad in the picture but it's one of those McWoody stocks with the simulated grain, yea I know synthetic stocks have no soul but the gun is specifically for silhouette and is basically a tool, I don't want to worry about a wood stock. It's hard to explain but if you shoot a gun alot in competition you almost forget that it's a gun because it's like an extension of yourself. After a while it's your performance i.e. score is what matters, the gun is a distant second, after all the gun racks are full of 1712's at silhouette matchs, no one is impressed.

Oops, you were not talking to me.

#27 ·
I paid $1200, 1000 and 900 respectively for my three, don't feel bad about a penny of it, two were NIB and one well treated, the blond having been professionally refinished. As you see there is a lot of variety in the 54 sported line up over the years, some beauties shown here.

#81 ·
anschutz

congratulations on a collection of magnificent rifles! It is obvious you collect or accumulate rifles and do not shoot them much the Anschutz rifles in this picture anyway. What a pity! I only see one scoped rifle in that rack. You will not hurt those rifles shooting them that is what they were manufactured to do. But to each their own. You really have nice rifles.

#38 ·
I can imagine, they are great little rifles. A few months back I traded my dad a mini 14 for an anschutz woodchucker in 22lr that he had bought for my sister when we were kids(he got me one in wmr) that she sold back to him, he gave it to my brother who traded it back to him. It had a lot of sentimental value to me. I wanted to have the pair to pass down if I ever have kids. Looking back I wish I'd had held off seeing the minis going for a grand. I'm still glad I have it though.