Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Calling the Council of Wise Anschütz Owners to help me decide: 1710 or 1761 ?

10K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  BadaBing11 
#1 · (Edited)
Now that the 1761 has seen some exposure, I'm hoping that a general consensus may have started to form on how it compares to the 1710.

Licensing and budgetary constraints preclude me from acquiring more than 1 model at this time.

There are 3 models under consideration:

1710 (1 model)

https://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.php5?produktID=97&menu=106&sprache=1&produktShow=detail

1761 (2 models)

https://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.php5?produktID=1553&menu=106&sprache=1&produktShow=detail

https://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.php5?produktID=1908&menu=106&sprache=1&produktShow=detail

(Suppressor may be a pain in the neck to keep meticulously clean after every shooting session, or face corrosion issues ? Fortunately they're not legally regulated down here.)

All thoughts/input would be much appreciated.

See less See more
#3 ·
While the 1761 has some excellent design improvements, among them a re-designed bolt with an easier, shorter bolt lift, the ability to easily swap barrels/calibers (if that appeals to you), allegedly much improved ejection, and a mag release that is light years ahead of that on the 64 and 54 series, albeit with, IMO, a truly ugly mag set-up, I would opt for the 1710 or 1712. From an aesthetic standpoint, the lines of the 1710/1712 are far more elegant. Having said all that, I expect the 1761 to be an excellent shooter, probably in the same league as the 1710/1712.

Doug

#17 ·
Anschutz could win me over if they could make a rifle as aesthetically pleasing as the 1710/1712, but with the alleged reliability improvements of the 1761.
Personally, function trumps appearance . Ideally I want both. But to me, it needs to run right above all . If I could find an older model and shoot it to know it functioned properly , that would be my preferred route . The price increase on the newer models is tough to take .

#4 ·
I was in a similar situation to yourself, I'll tell you what I did and you can make of it what you wish. I was in the market for a rifle specifically for target shooting, no hunting and never any need for attaching a suppressor.

At the time I placed my order for my new gun there were only the first wave of the 1761's released - standard or thumbhole stock models and only the heavy single stage trigger available. In other words the 1761 was an unproven, unknown quantity with no reviews of it available. The 1710 was a known quantity but the 1761 was a totally new, ground up design. Were there enough improvements?? I debated it over and over before electing to go ahead an order a 1710 HB (the 2 stage trigger version of the model you are considering). I took the safe option and went with the tried and true model.

Due to ridiculously huge shipping costs from the factory in Germany to my dealer, there were delays in getting the order - basically Anschutz were charging about €600.00 to ship a single rifle or an entire pallet load of them and the dealer wanted to have multiple rifles coming in to spread the shipping costs out over at least 10 guns. So there was a delay until the dealer had a minimum amount of new sales due to this.

Next, COVID-19 arrived around March 2020 and delayed everyone, everywhere, doing anything! At this same time the new 1761's were released and the MPR and MSR models with the more target oriented stocks and light, 2 stager triggers took my fancy. I called the dealer the day after they appeared on the Anschutz website and asked to change my order if it was not too late. I think I must have had one of the very first of these models sold, it was definitely the first one here in the country.

Straight out of the box it shot great. The following Sunday I won my first club competition against 1710's, 1712's and a single shot target model with the stock lightened to make our 10.5lb weight limit. 2 weeks later I entered my first national competition, won a couple of categories, 4 weeks later, second national level competition and same story, I had luck on my side and managed to sneak another couple of wins.

I probably got a good example but I think that goes for any rifle you buy - there's always an element of chance involved. It's just with an Anschutz you have a higher chance of getting a good one. The rifle isn't better than everything else - everyone has their day and I had luck on my side, that's without doubt. But my point is, the 1761 from what I've seen doesn't have to be afraid in the company of 54 actions and the owners of those guns like the feel of my 1761. There are now 3 of them in my club - another MPR and an 18" Thumbhole model.

My MPR cost €1750.00 but the original 1710 HB I ordered was going to cost me €1995.00 so I saved a bit on the initial cost. There are no 10 round magazines available for the 1761, likewise no aftermarket stocks. There are for the 1710 and you can get MDT and GRS stocks if you're so inclined.

Anyway, that's my twopence worth:bthumb: If only the ranges would hurry up and reopen - we're locked down without any shooting since December:sad:

#5 ·
Penage Guy, dbr65 and Asar:

You are all officers and gentlemen, and I thank you each for your well-reasoned replies.

It is exactly this sort of generous assistance from the RFC community that is so very valuable in helping one avoid a wrong call.

#6 · (Edited)
In my case being left handed reduced the viable options for a .22LR bolt gun. Tika and Bergara both said they were making them sometime this year – just not yet. To me, the Savages are just that – less than civilized and feel out of place in my hands. That left the 1761 and the Vudoo. The Annie is a classic looking sporter and I really liked the lines so I ordered one.

Initially, mine had horrible ejection issues that resulted in a return to ANA and it’s still not 100% but getting really close. That and the lack of 10-round magazine is preventing it from being used for competition. I ordered single load devices from Lowey in Australia and they have just arrived. After I try them out next week the Annie may become my F-Class rifle and the Kidd Super Grade will continue as the all other matches rifle.

The 1761 is the most accurate rifle that I own and is an absolute joy to shoot. If I can get the extraction issue completely fixed and find some 10-round magazines it will become the only rifle I play with.

#7 ·
I bought a 1761 MSR very recently and re-sold it after 1 range trip. Though well designed and Anschutz quality, it is in no way comparable to a 54 action in my book. It might be an improvement over the 64 but the 54 is much stronger and of better quality to my eyes anyway. Also the 1761 is quite a light rifle and I like heavier rifles especially from the bench. Like Glenn ( Penage guy ) I also had a 1710 in the past and personally I regret selling it and am often thinking about buying another one.

Gilbert

#8 · (Edited)
I had a good chuckle there, AC5D ! (Let's hope the S*v*ge chaps from 4 doors down don't come knocking.)

Thanks for telling it like it is, mate. :bthumb:

I should think those issues will be sorted out soon -- Anschütz won't let something like that fly for very long.

#9 ·
Thank you, Gilbert; I gladly add you and AC5D to the roll of officers and gentlemen.

I must say -- at this stage, the scale is tipping toward 1710 (with, perhaps, a 1761 in the future, if/when 1710s become unobtanium).

. . . just like the Mauser Mm410B and the SAKO P94S became unobtanium. At the time, few thought that would ever happen, eh ?

#10 ·
I have had a 1710 DKL for about 7 years now and just took delivery of a 1761 thumbhole stock with light 2 stage trigger, about a month ago.

Both rifles are great. Bought the 1710 with the intent of hunting and doing some target shooting. Bought the 1761 with the intent of target shooting and doing some hunting. I did debate about buying a target orient model, but as a hunter, I always want the option of taking a gun into he field and the target models just don't work. the thumbhole stock with the beavertail forehand and the light trigger seemed a good compromise for target shooting and hunting.

I would say that for accuracy, I give the edge to the 1761, but that could be due to the trigger and stock. Both rifles will easily group under .5 inch at 50 meters consistently. The 1761 has put together a number of 5 shot groups in the .2 to .3 range.

If I had to buy only one, at this point I would probably lean to the 1761. The 1710 is the classic and is no doubt the better looking of the 2 guns. However the slickness of the bolt, magazine release, ability to change barrels and accuracy would make me lean to the 1761. Of course, it's my new favourite toy too, so that could be clouding my judgement a little.

You cannot really go wrong either way. Let us know what you decide.

#11 ·
Capeboer - As usual, I'm a bit late - My 2 cents in a nutshell!

I think I had one of the first 1761's discussed on this forum & certainly one of the first to come to Australia. I've also owned a variety of 1710 DHB Classics over many years.

I would never sell a 1710 to replace it with a 1761 but they are different animals and I will go out on a limb here and say IMO, the 1761 is the better all round rifle for a number of reasons I've already listed here.

You will not go wrong with either and it will depend on just what you intend doing with the rifle. Either will last a lifetime given correct maintenance so whatever your choice, just go out and enjoy it.

Allan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.