2K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  ECC 
#1 ·
Hi,
Does anyone know the torque value of the Action Screws on a 1407/1408
match 54?

Thanks........

#2 · (Edited)
Phillip,

I don't think Anschutz prescribed a specific torque until the 18 series in 1980. That said, you could start at 4-5Nm. Less torque may work, but given the rifle's age, it's possible (if not likely) a previous owner tightened the bolts enough to compress the wood a little. I would not exceed 5Nm in a wood stock with factory bedding.

#5 ·
From here: https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com/maintenance-tips.html

Action Screw Torque
We have just recently updated our manuals on line as well as on the new CD's which come with the rifle, but for those with older rifles, you can use this information listed here.

The new information:

For correct tightening of the action screws, ANSCHÜTZ recommends the use of a torque wrench, starting at 2.5 Nm ( 22 inch-lbs ) and not to exceed 4.0 Nm ( 35 inch-lbs).

#7 ·
As tim notes, while the 14xx series match 54 rifles had no specific action screw torque recommendation in the manuals, beginning with the 18xx series of 54 match rifles in 1980, Anschutz provided a specific torque recommendations, which were 5 Newton meters (44.25 inch pounds). Aluminum chassis have a recommendation for 6 Nm.

It's possible that Anschutz didn't provide specific torque recommendations in earlier manuals because of the limited availability of suitable torque drivers. Instead, as many Anschutz shooters may remember. Anschutz provided a special allan wrench for tightening the action screws. It had, as Anschutz described it in the manual, "two wavelike elbows" and by using it and the weight of the rifle itself the screws could be appropriately tightened.

Now, with the widespread availability of reliable torque drivers, these allan wrenches are no longer needed and no longer supplied. Shooters can tighten action screws accurately and repeatably to 5 Nm (wood stocks).

#14 ·
Wood crush/compression?

I keep reading about this happening, and wondered if anybody has actually seen this.?

The match 54 stock has a steel recoil lug embedded in the stock, I would think if you crush the wood it would be like driving a splitting wedge in a log and would crack the stock anybody ever seen this?
my thought they put that lug there for a reason

Lee

#16 ·
I keep reading about this happening, and wondered if anybody has actually seen this.?

The match 54 stock has a steel recoil lug embedded in the stock, I would think if you crush the wood it would be like driving a splitting wedge in a log and would crack the stock anybody ever seen this?
my thought they put that lug there for a reason

Lee
Lee,

I know of a couple of wood stocks that had compressed under the bolts. None cracked at the lug*. I confess I've never looked, but isn't there clearance between the lug and the action. The front face is the only bit that needs to touch the receiver.

#15 ·
While individual gunsmiths and shooters can and do use whatever torque levels they feel are best, they may, however, be unfamiliar with what the manufacturer itself recommends.

It's worth noting that older 14xx series rifles have slotted action screws rather than the hex screws of post-14xx models, and these don't readily lend themselves to high torque levels without the risk of driver slippage. Hex screw heads can be more easily torqued to higher levels without risk and these have been used by Anschutz since the 1800 series was introduced in about 1980.

Over the last forty years, since Anschutz began specifying a torque level first for wood stocks with Belleville washers, and later for both wood and aluminum, the torque levels have been consistent. These were first used in the Anschutz 18xx manual of July 1980. The recommended torque value for wood stocks is 5 Newton meters. For the aluminum stocks the torque level is 6 Nm. These figures are repeated consistently in Anschutz manuals for the 19xx, 20xx, and 54.30 models.

It's worth noting that the Anschutz 20xx series rifles, which have 5mm action screws instead of the usual 6mm screws on all the others in the Match 54 target rifles, also have the same torque recommendation of 5 Nm for wood stocks and 6 Nm for aluminum.

Below is the recommendation in the May 2015 Anschutz manual. It covers the 19xx, 20xx, and 54.30 rifles. (The 20xx use 5mm action screws.) Earlier manuals for the give the same figures for wood stocks, and when non-wood stocks became an option, for the aluminum stocks.

#17 ·
With regard to action screw torque level, there are some posts on this Anschutz forum that contain email responses from Anschutz.

Mutoid - I just e-mailed Anschutz about this. They replied:

These are M6x0,75 thread screws.
We would recommend to use lubricated bolts.
The torque of the bolts should be 5 Nm
You might find more information on our website.

Best regards
J.G. ANSCHUTZ GmbH & Co. KG
Jochen Anschutz
See post #7 here https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515822

I sent a email to Anscutz in Germany asking about the torque setting for my 1976 1407 match 54. Below is the answer I received,
What does that translate to in pounds?

"for wooden stocks 5 nm and for alloy stocks 6nm"

Thanks

strangms
Post #1 https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732441

It's worth noting that Anschutz recommends different torque levels for 64 action sporter and non-sporter rifles. The owners manual for 1400/1500 series rifles, published in March 2015, says the action screws should be torqued to between 2.5 and 4 Nm.

For the 1903 target rifle, for example, the June 2011 manual, an excerpt of which is shown below, says to torque to 5 Nm. The manual for the 64 S BR issued in June 2002 also says to torque to 5 Nm.

Unless Anschutz has recanted and issued a retraction of the information in their manuals, 5 Nm appears to be the torque level Anschutz recommends for their target rifles. As far as I know, these 64 action rifles do not use Belleville washers.

Below, from the 64 S BR June 2002 manual.

#19 ·
Lee,

I'd never thought of that. I'd always thought it was there to limit rearwards movement, both under recoil and during assembly. However, I've heard good argument that Anschutz recommend a fairly high torque so the action bites down. So, having some limit to that would be sensible. The flip side is that contact at the top of the lug could stress the action I suppose; club shooters often take the brute-strength-and-ignorance stance.

Now it's interesting that you say the rifle should ring. Alu stocks were/are noted for that. I have on my bookshelves an article in the NSRA journal "A node to a barrel". Where the author discusses ringing: he wanted less ring, to the point of asking about a ledloy barrel.

#22 · (Edited)
These are the slot head bedding screws on my 64’s.

1 x Countersunk screw M5 x 34 (013823).
1 x Countersunk screw M4 x 26 (014021).
1 x Countersunk screw M4 x 18 (014073).

The 5mm is the front screw and the shorter 4mm is the rear screw that screws into a 5mm insert.

Anschutz state 5Nm in their instructions for both screws?

Sorry about the confusion regarding the 1407 but don’t you think Anschutz should have specific instructions for each model?

Also note that the rear 4mm screw in my pix is a shoulder screw.

If this screw beds down to the shoulder at say12Nm you could torque it up as much as you want but it wouldn’t hold down the rear of the action any more.

As for Anschutz not being able to give us exact information on the settings required for their rifles who else would know?

I previously read that Anschutz recommend lubing the bedding screws in an email and I have mentioned this in a previous thread but this is not mentioned in their general instructions.......They just say torque those screws to 5Nm.
On a lubed screw that could be >6.5 Nm compared to a new dry screw.

Attachments

#23 ·
In addition to a front 5mm action screw, it appears that some model 64 rifles have a 4mm action screw in the rear. It's required because it screws into a hexagon threaded bolt that fastens the trigger housing to the receiver. Depending on the trigger, some 64 action rifles appear to use two 5mm action screws.

Depending on the grade of the bolt and friction coefficient, (I don't know what Anschutz uses) a 4mm bolt torque range is from under 1 Nm to over 5 Nm. If Anschutz uses an 8.8 grade screw with the highest friction coefficient the maximum torque is 3.3Nm; with a 10.9 grade screw it's 4.8 Nm; with a 12.9 grade screw it's 5.6 Nm.

I don't know what the grade is for Anschutz screws.

The 5mm screws with the highest friction coefficient with the grades referred to above will all be able to be torqued to over 5 Nm.

With this information in mind, I have to say that to play it safe I wouldn't advise torquing a 4mm action screw to 5 Nm. The 5mm screws should not have a problem at that torque level. It's the same torque used on the 20xx match rifles, as per the owner's manual.

#24 · (Edited)
As you have said we don’t know the grade of steel that Anschutz uses for these screws.
Also factor in that these screws are not set and forget.
They are screws that could be being constantly adjusted while an optimum setting is found.

The Anschutz settings shown on the page you posted are from a manual dated 2002.
Are the same settings used for the later 2008 model SBR?

I have read on this Forum that there some shooters who slacken off these action screws when they finish a shoot and re-torque them before their next one.

How many times can this be done before these screws cry enough?

I am now up to 25 inch/lbs front and back (lightly oiled and wiped off) as I check out optimum settings and this will be the maximum that I will go to on the 4mm & 5mm action screws on my 64 MPR and SBR.

I understand that this will differ from model to model.

E

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.