Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Differences between Models 1422 Deluxe Sporter and today’s 1710 DKL

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  leenie 
#1 ·
I am thinking about selling my Savage-Anschutz Model 54. The little I know about where it falls in Anschutz’s product history, I found that it is the same exact rifle as the 1422 Deluxe. I know even less about the 1710DKL with the exception that externally, they look almost identical except for the safety. My understanding is they both use the 54 action, but I don’t know what internal differences exist whether in rifled action, rifling, etc. I’m trying to understand the differences between selling prices taking place on the auctions between these models in similar conditions. I would really appreciate some info on the subject. Annie Collectors, can you help me out?

#2 · (Edited)
The S/A 54 is not the same exact rifle as the 1422, though at first glance they might appear identical(and that model would be called the custom, not the deluxe)
The S/A could(or does?) have a thinner barrel and different shape for the rear tang of the receiver, could have a bossed rear sight, a banded front sight, as well as a different shape for the rear tang of the trigger guard. The presence of these differing items depends on the vintage of the S/A gun.
The 1710 DKL has a different trigger guard, and a different trigger, and bluing that isn't quite as nice.
The first version of the 1710 DKL has the same wing safety as found on the earlier models. The current version, which has been around for something like a dozen years, has a side safety.
S/A guns and 1422s have a metal follower in the magazine, as opposed to the plastic one found in the 1710s.
I don't think that you can come up with a formula for pricing of each model. It depends on condition, wood quality, and who's in the room.

#3 ·
Thanks, Camster for the reply. I was aware of the difference in the front sight but not the other items you pointed out. Did Anschutz use the same method of rifling of their barrels back then with the SA and 1422 Custom as they did/do with the more current 1710 DKL. You mentioned a difference in the barrel size also. Did they actually manufacture a thinner sporting 23" barrel for SA versus what they used on the 1422, or were you stating the diff from the 1710 DKL? I appreciate the education. I tried doing a search for a similar thread for comparisons of these models, but was unsuccessful. Are you familiar with any previous threads which compare the SA 54 to similar pure Anschutz marketed sporters?

#4 ·
The S/A 54 had a thinner profile barrel than the 1422, which shares the profile of the 1710.
I can't answer your question about rifling. I do know that the 1422 claimed to have a hand lapped barrel. I think that would apply to the S/A as well, but don't recall that claim being made for the 1710.
If someone here has a catalog covering these later 1700 series guns, perhaps the answer can be found there.
I had a 1422 and a couple of dozens of the later 1700 series, but only briefly owned a S/A 54, which was a magnum.

#6 ·
I know a guy who knows a guy with a new in the box sa 54. he can't get a price out of the owner. would 15 hundred to two grand be close? I like sporters and would like a 1422 but am getting close to too many guns.
$1,500 - $2,000 is probably pretty close. I paid a little less for a NIB S/A 54 sporter and a NIB S/A 1422 DST several years ago. The market on premium condition pre-1700 series guns is strong, but deals can be found occasionally on premium and NIB condition guns since there were so many made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.