Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

My new missing Anschutz

24K views 169 replies 67 participants last post by  tbates66 
#1 ·
Bought an unusual scoped silhouette Anschutz 64 on GB. That "arrived" today by UPS. Tracking showed it was delivered. My usual FFL contacted me and said the package was an empty gun case.

SN 1277624 in case someone finds it in a dumpster.

How do you handle this crap with a Gun Broker seller???

See less See more
#5 ·
rapidfire10ring,

check the weight of the package in the shipping documentation, as mentioned before. This will help to establish what happened and where the loss occurred. You will have to contact the seller and inform him of this and the receiving FFL should write all info down and give it to you in writing as long as the memory is fresh, they should also keep all packaging.

You wrote that the FFL received an empty gun case. It could have been, that the seller made a mistake and shipped the wrong case. It could have been that the rifle was taken from the gun case in transit. This is why I never write anything in the address that makes it obvious that there is a gun in the package. UPS at least does not show the value of the package, while USPS shows the postage and insurance value on the label and gives an unintelligent hint about something well worth to be stolen.

#12 ·
I doubt it.
The question remains if this seller had a sales history, or he migrated over from scamcentral: Armslist.

I've never sent out a gun without full insurance. Too many careless handlers along the way, and runaway forklifts.
Not that a swindler would pay for it, but every buyer should ask for, and being willing to pay for, full insurance.

In the past, I've wondered about sellers of any kind sending an empty box or an incomplete order. It appears that it certainly complicates getting the matter resolved, as the seller has a record that he sent something.
While I take exception with a few details of my state's firearms laws, in instances like this, I have to agree with my state's policy that all guns being shipped, must go through an FFL.

#17 ·
It is beyond credibility that someone who is about to ship a scoped rifle (probably well north of eight pounds), could possibly put an empty case into shipping carton having overlooked putting the rifle in the case (wow, that case is light :confused:), and further, after taping up the shipping box and picking it up to carry to UPS, couldn't again be reminded about how light this package is. An "honest" mistake doesn't come close to ringing true. Just sayin...

The question is how he/she thinks he/she could get away with it.

Doug

#19 ·
I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt more than I should. Having said that, Doug is right, something smells. The package would have been weighed before shipping was charged. The seller would have known what they were being charged for.
How could someone realistically expect to get away with something like that ? I would think that the notoriety would prevent them from selling on GB again. I don't see how that is worth pulling a stunt.
With the knowledge of the weight of the package at the time it left their hands in your possession, claiming theft isn't possible for them.

#28 ·
No, GB doesn't handle the money at all and doesn't have a responsibility in any sort of refund. I am trying to get the seller to refund my money as he stated that it was he that shipped the package......a package well under the weight of a rifle and scope. And seller said he spent $75.00 on the shipping. Not for a 5 pound package via UPS.:cool:

#31 ·
From Gunbroker....

Follow
You May be Eligible for Buyer's Protection:

If you paid for an item and did not receive it, or the item was materially different than the description, subject to the Program Limitations below, you may be eligible to submit a Buyer's Protection claim through GunBroker.com. GunBroker.com will cover up to $500.00 on an item and all claims have a $100.00 deductible.

We do not cover:
Shipping cost
Transfer fees
Taxes.
Find the details of the Buyer Protection Program here.

If you wish to make a claim, follow our BPP Claim Process found here.

Review the BPP Limitations and Restrictions here.

You can submit a claim by filling out the BPP Claim Form.

***This located on the Buyers page***

#34 · (Edited)
Ordered a used high end air rifle from a reputable and recommended seller in NETHERLANDS. Paid paypal friend/family, no fees and lets you buy a gun using paypal. Two weeks later no news. Emailed the guy and said I was a little panicked. Come to find out European tracking is lacking. Gun was shipped and could expect GOOD tracking once it hit European customs. Was told expect couple day delay once it hit US shores. Everything went as planned but paypal friends/family has no recourse. :eek:

#35 ·
So basically GB is a place where I can be ripped off? A guy lists a gun he doesnt have engages in a bidding war with me and then takes my money and sends me nothing.
That seems awfully risky. Im sure most of the sellers are legit, but even they could toss in a scam once in a while . Like sending out an empty box and saying , I dont know what happened.

Once in a while Ill buy a gun online, but i like to look at them and touch them first , so usually dont, unless its from a long time rfc member or a reputable dealer.

#36 · (Edited)
So basically GB is a place where I can be ripped off? A guy lists a gun he doesnt have engages in a bidding war with me and then takes my money and sends me nothing.
That seems awfully risky. Im sure most of the sellers are legit, but even they could toss in a scam once in a while . Like sending out an empty box and saying , I dont know what happened.

Once in a while Ill buy a gun online, but i like to look at them and touch them first , so usually dont, unless its from a long time rfc member or a reputable dealer.
Yes, a rip off can happen on any site.
A hands on first exam is worth a lot to me, so I've avoided online buying except for guns that I'd have little chance of finding locally..
I had a GB seller with a lot of positive feedback refuse to take back a handgun, even though he provided a three day inspection .He used the excuse that new guns don't come with that. I would agree with that, but he wasn't offering a brand new gun -he was offering an older, pre-owned, unfired gun. What are the odds that the ding in the cylinder would naturally just happen to be located when the ding was at 12 o'clock, hidden by the top strap? (about one in six, I reckon) He went on to claim that I must have been trying to pull a cylinder switcheroo on him, which I surely was not.
I will also admit that on one occasion I refused to take a gun back, the only time that anyone ever wanted to return a gun. The gun was 100%, and the buyer found no condition issue with it at all. He just felt that it was a little heavier than he thought it would be, he was thinking that it would weigh like a little 64 action gun.(It was an Anschutz 1717 with a standard barrel, not a heavy weight barrel) Knowing the specs of a gun before purchasing is on the shoulders of the buyer, in my opinion.
No one in the gun selling arena acts like Home Depot where anything can be returned for any reason in any condition.

#153 ·
Right now I feel very fortunate. A few years ago I bought a 1712 from a fellow member here and it was better than described. No issues whatsoever.

I am sorry that you got scammed/cheated/screwed.
I hope there is a happy ending.
I have bought three guns from RFC's and one from a gent on the S&W forum. All were better than described and much better than expected condition wise.

Is it possible to get scammed here on rfc? Yes.
I don't buy on GB. I don't buy from rfc members without references.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"

#41 ·
I only buy from sellers on GB with lots of ratings or who have a brick and mortar store. I have never had a problem but I do factor it into the equation. You can't expect GB to guarantee anything. It is nice that they have the buyer protection plan but for a lot of sales it won't cover the real costs and expenses. As in everything, CAVEAT EMPTOR folks!

#42 ·
Well, some great news (at least I hope so) and here is this morning's email....

Bruce,

My deepest apologies. I still have the gun. I will wrap it, pay for the UPS label and package it today. It will go out tomorrow.

Going through a divorce and changing homes cause the oversight. That is no excuse, just wanted you to know the reasoning.

Again I am deeply sorry for the inconvenience. JB

SO, THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR CONCERNS. I will be updating as it comes through. I just did not know how anyone could send an empty rifle case, but the BIG "D" is one of them.:eek: Unless his message is an April Fool's joke....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.