Does Winchester 38 gr HPs not live up to your expectations too? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 PM
para-frame
Emergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does Winchester 38 gr HPs not live up to your expectations too?

Hit the range on Sunday and bought a box of Winchester 38 gr. 555 because Wal-mart didn't have my pet Fed 510 load (I love my Remington 510 so it was a match made in heaven ) and I didn't feel like paying $21 bucks for a box of blazer (also great ammo through my gun), now I don't expect CCI green or even standard vel. grade accuracy/quality but I do expect the dang ammo to at least chamber in a single shot bolt action, not only did it chamber difficultly (something that doesn't even happen after 1000 rounds through the chamber with no cleaning with any other ammo I have tried, much less on a clean gun) but...

It sucked in the accuracy department too. Now I know guns have preferences but 5+" groups at 50 yards would be unacceptable off a rest out of a stock 10/22 with iron sights much less my scoped 510, I scrounged up some blazer from my floor boards (god I am such a red neck) and popped out a .7" 4 shot group (all I could find) just to assure my self my favorite plinker wasn't giving up the ghost.

Like I said, I know guns have preferences but it wasn't just my 510 that had problems, my brothers friends 10/22 wouldn't go 5 rounds without a FTE or FTFeed, his Bersa .22 wouldn't even go a round without some failure (granted I don't know how well he maintained them or their history) and both of my brothers .22s, a papoose and a savage 87B couldn't make it through a mag or tube without choking (I know, none of the semi guns that had problems are known for their reliability but it does add credence to the fact the ammo just sucked)

All in all, a bad day at the range still beats a pretty good day at work but still. Thanks for listening to my rambling, With student loans and all the other stuff I NEED to pay I just hate that I wasted $17 on stuff I will probably just keep for a rainy day, I don't even what to use this stuff to teach new shooters less they be discouraged by the abysmal grouping they get even if they do shoot great.

So has anyone else had similar problems/I haven't been paying attention or am I just unlucky?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:07 AM
T191032

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Slowly working through a box of "333", which is the smaller version of your "555" box, down to about 108 rounds in fact. Yeah, I find the accuracy problem a bit surprising, but the functioning in semi-autos not to be. I know the "older" Winchester "X-Pert"s were pretty good for accuracy, but not functioning. Still got a box of "X-PertHV" I bought but haven't tried to see how it would do. Overall, I kinda gave up on Winchester's rimfire bulk-pack ammo, but keep a bit around for "test" purposes.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:57 AM
stevemoriarity

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I won't buy winchester bulk because of dented cases, bullets seated crooked, and the worst, bullet lube on the cases which cause failure to extract due to pressure and heat glues the fired cases to the chamber walls, works ok if your using a single action with it's ejector rod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2012, 11:38 AM
one eyed shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
all my pawn shop finds like them good enough. for me a hunting / bulk round should keep everything within 1.5"@50 yds.they are far from match ammo but, i don't own any match rifles either.plinking and small game hunting they seem to work fine, paper punching might tell a different story. all i know is that squirrels hate'em
Old 02-08-2012, 01:11 PM
T191032

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
See link for pictures -

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ter+333&page=3
Old 02-08-2012, 01:29 PM
RayCZ

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I believe the Winchester 333s are actually 36 grain HP, unless you are referring to some other ammo. I agree they are poorly packaged with dings and dents, but they are suprisingly accurate in my two CZ 452s. Not so good in the Sakos and Anschutz, however.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:04 PM
5MM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The 333 and 555 are at the top of my list of bulk ammo to shoot. BUT some days are just like that STOP TAKE A DEEP BREATH and come back another day. I had the same thing happen to me this fall. I had my 17 in the back of the seat in the truck for some shooting just to use up the 17gr stuff. If I told you it was shooting a 8 inch group at 100 it would be good. Check the scope rings tryed 3 different boxes of shells NOTHING. Well I came back a few day later with the idea of getting it to shoot, WELL guess what it was back to its old self. I think it was just me the day the weather or the alinement of the stars BUT some days just SUCK. One other thing I found was if the wind is blowing everything sucks and the 17 REALLY SUCK with some wind. If the wind is blowing in South Dakota on a PD hunt it stays in the case for the day.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:48 PM
rhill
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
555 shoots better than any other bulk ammo in both my CZ 452 and Sig 522. The CZ does .5-.6 at 50 yds, good for cheap ammo! Also shoots good in my .45 Kimber conversion and Ruger MK3 22/45, but I am not that good a pistol shot, so who really knows?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:04 PM
para-frame
Emergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So I am not the only one (kind of), oh well, you live and your learn. CCI and Fed only for me from now on unless my 22/45 likes this stuff and of course I have a few revolvers to try it out of too (its not like my NAA mini can be less accurate.)