Breakthrough in barrel making? Smoothbore with rifling swaged from the outside! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:35 PM
OragunLib
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Breakthrough in barrel making? Smoothbore with rifling swaged from the outside!

First off howdy-
I don't post much but this area is a good wealth of info. I have a very nice homespun 10/22 with a GM running boar barrel. Love that gun but I don't get to shoot it much due to closures etc.

But I do get tons of trigger time playing with airguns. I have a small machine shope & have built some pre-charged & pump operated airguns. So I have a lot of fun & amuse myself greatly.

The latest & greatest thing is the barrels I mentioned in the title. The company using them is FX airguns. of Sweden. They have also started testing on .22 bench guns so I just wanted to give a heads up that these are on the horizon.

The main advantage for us airheads seems to be the lack of deformation. It leads to greater energy retention & accuracy-especially at longer yardages. Don't laugh-theres a guy in New Zealand that prints tiny 100 yard & some impressive 200 yard groups-with an airgun.

The barrels are a patented process & the outer size tapers at the end on the ones I've seen. The last 3-4" are swaged as you would in a choke process. but the dies have the rifling sitting "proud" on the dies. The dies are then swaged into a twist pattern as desired -at least thats the thumbnail version...

Here's a link to the discussion-Cheers!
http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537...are+interested

Carl.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:43 AM
frog5215

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Um, that's how hammer forged barrels are made. Ruger T, Steyr centerfires, the Chinese "biathlon" gun.

No question FX guns are super accurate.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Ron V.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It sounds to me and I agree with the one poster on the other site that the process produces essentially very shallow internal polygonal rifling similar to HK, Kahr, etc. possibly even more rounded like Glock. except with smaller and more number of sides (for the caliber). The outer rifling pushing the barrel material inward into the bore much like regular hammer forging.

Genreally, it's been said that polygonal rifling is not very good for lead projectiles but possibly of it is shallow enough they may be able to get away with it.

Last edited by Ron V.; 02-28-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2010, 12:23 PM
OragunLib

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
similar to hammer forging-but there is no internal mandrel

This is all done externally jus to be clear.

Also, I have doubts how this would work on the larger caliber powder burners-as we call 'em. Not agressive enough to impart the proper twist at those FPS rates-but what I know about that would fit in a thimble.

But they are testing for 22 LR bench guns & it appears to be working well in testing.

Another interesting sidebit is the pellets/projectiles are quieter downrange. The lack of tiny fins left by the rifling apparently acounts for this. It also helps explain the better energy retention.

Just thought it may be of intrest-because this barrel shoots really really well for our use.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:29 PM
STBE Harris

Now Central Texas who turned on the heat?
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very Interesting! Metallurgy

It has been said that button rifling leads to structural changes in the barrel that actually enhance the longevity and accuracy. If I can remember it is that the process actually aligns the near surface structure of the steel in parallel to the applied force of the button, thus less perpendicular aberations and less fouling. It is also supposed to work harden the surface leading to a more durable bore. I wonder if this new process would do such? It looks closer to hammer forging to me, and then I am not sure exactly what is going on at the muzzle. I would think a possible senario for the external applied twist would be to weaken the metal at the area opposite of applied force on the interior. Much as soft candy shows tear and sheer fractures on oposite side of vectored force. Hammer forging has a mandrel inside and is compressing, hammering, the steel structure around a resisting interior mandrel thus adding to strength.
This new process looks to be doing something good as the groups show. I am an accuracy nut and this looks interesting, hope it can be made to work for powder burners,............or maybe I should buy a pellet rifle in the future? STBE
Old 03-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Mac McCann
US Air Force Veteran Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do any of you guys know if the old HK .22LR's (series 270,300) had polygonal or standard lands and grooves? Mac
Old 03-01-2010, 11:27 AM
MtStream

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
OraGunLib - makes perfect sense to me. Applied correctly this could be Big (or little depending on projectile).

iirc the Hk's used a polygonal rifling Mac M