Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

My new missing Anschutz

24K views 169 replies 67 participants last post by  tbates66 
#1 ·
Bought an unusual scoped silhouette Anschutz 64 on GB. That "arrived" today by UPS. Tracking showed it was delivered. My usual FFL contacted me and said the package was an empty gun case.

SN 1277624 in case someone finds it in a dumpster.

How do you handle this crap with a Gun Broker seller???

See less See more
#128 ·
One thing to consider: Is this a one-man operation, or does he have employees working for him? I knew a guy who worked in the shipping department of a large musical instrument retailer, and he was not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

I could see him making a mistake like that -- possibly weighed the package, printed the shipping label, then had to take the rifle out to log the serial number and forgot to put it back in. Something like that.

#133 ·
By all means send him the money back, if you keep the rifle. I
IF you decide to cash the MO and send him a personal check or new MO wait 2 weeks for the present MO to clear the banks. The last thing you need is a bad MO bouncing and paying him twice with your funds.
Glad everything worked out.

On a funny note just sold a Winchester 75. Guy's paying cash and hands me a packet wrapped in a target. I cautiously open it to find $100 packets of $2 bills. Somehow he thought it was funny.

#134 ·
Presuming you have inspected the rifle and intend to keep it, the dark half of me would want to send his uncashed MO back and let him go through the kind of pain he put you through.

Decorum would prevail, though, and I'm sure I would follow the advice of the three posts previous to mine: ask him how he would like to receive his funds.

As ford8nr advises, be sure to let him know you will allow sufficient time for the MO to clear before you send any money. This will help avoid inadvertently stepping back into the poo, and set his expectations on the timing.

Glad it finally worked out!

#135 ·
If you decide to wait two weeks to see if the USPS Money Order clears make sure and let him know this, but I have never had a problem with a money order from the Post Office. They are like cash in hand. Even though he messed this deal up there is absolutely no point in dragging this out more than necessary. End it most Riki-Tik.

Rick H.

#136 · (Edited)
The Post Office should cash that for you. $ in hand.

The Post Office should cash that for you. With the cash in hand, you need not wait to send him back his funds. And maybe just use his Postal Money Order to buy a Postal Money Order at the Post Office, make it out and mail it to him Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested and have the delivery restricted to the named addressee only.

Doing it this way gives you evidence the money was paid. Considering how scatterbrained he was, you could predict he would continue that way and later claim the money was not returned. You will have the copy of the Postal Money Order you sent him and a signature from him proving he received it.

I have edited this and believe this advice should be followed for self protection and for doing things the right way. David

#138 ·
This is where my true lack of integrity emerges. Id cash the check, and keep the money and the gun :eek: I would consider it an aggregation fee:D How much time and anxiety did you waste on this clown?

Theres a reason his wife is divorcing him, hes got more than a few lose screws.

#140 ·
This is where my true lack of integrity emerges. Id cash the check, and keep the money and the gun :eek: I would consider it an aggregation fee:D How much time and anxiety did you waste on this clown?

Theres a reason his wife is divorcing him, hes got more than a few lose screws.
Still not the right thing to do. And yes, says a lot about your integrity

#139 ·
Don't let down your guard just yet. Make sure the MO is legit first and go over the rifle with a fine toothed comb before you accept either. It would suck to fire him off a check then take the MO to the PO only to find out it is counterfeit. I wouldn't trust the guy at all after what you have been through. It might be just fine, and that would be great, but I would make absolutely sure everything is legit first.

#141 ·
I would cash the money order and then contact the seller and tell him you finally received both the rifle and the money. I would then inform him that I will either send him the rifle or the funds in a few weeks after you have checked the rifle and made sure the money order has cleared.

#143 ·
Naturally I teased the audience....I intend to return the money and since he sent a blank USPO Money Order I will fill in his name

I have to live with my conscience and give the best to someone else, no matter if they were sketchy in their actions. To be certain, I thought it was very strange that this entire event transpired as it did, and the range of thoughts and emotions went with it.
First, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, next it was a guarded suspicion, then it seemed a certainty I was being played and he intentionally defrauded me. Then it was anger and I was gathering my ducks to file charges. He called and seemed off kilter too.

Anyhow, all is well and I will remove the negative feedback I gave him...if I can figure out how. :bthumb:

#144 ·
My vote would be to not entirely remove the negative feedback. Rather, leave accurate and complete feedback, which in this case would include both some negative and positive.

And kudos to you for sending the money back. He arguably doesn't deserve it, but it's not about what he deserves. How he behaved speaks to his character. How you behave speaks to yours. It's not okay to behave badly or dishonestly just because the other guy did so first, and your response shows you live up to those words. Vengeance might have been satisfying in the moment, but in the long run you'll be glad you took the high road. Good for you, and I'm glad to see that this ugly story came to a good conclusion.

#145 ·
I wouldn't fill his name in on it at all. I'd take a picture of it and send it back certified mail to prove you sent it back exactly how it arrived and that he received it. If it is counterfeit with your handwriting on it you could put yourself at risk for committing mail fraud. If it is legit, he can put his name on it himself. I may be paranoid, but it has served me well. :D

#147 ·
First I've checked back in on this in awhile and happy to see that you finally got the rifle, AND a USPS Money Order, though strange that it's blank. As suggested above, carefully check out the rifle to be sure all is as it should be, and some caution on the MO is justified as there are counterfeit MOs. Every time I cash one at my bank, they look it over very carefully. I think Mike's suggestion is a good one -- don't write anything on the MO, take pics for your records and return it certified mail. Not paranoia at all, just good judgement.

A truly aggravating situation, and glad it worked out for you.

Doug

#149 ·
Another 'warning'.
Is there anything you can do to ensure you are not now in possession of a gun he had no right to sell?
If so, and you send the check back too soon.......

#154 ·
Glad it all worked out rapidfire10ring. Can't believe the guy mailed a $700+ money order without filling in the "pay to" line. Might as well have sent $100 bills. He's just been a loon from start to finish!

For those mentioning the gun store and the possibility of the rifle being stolen. According to the seller's Facebook page he hasn't worked there since 2003. He's not a crook, he's got money problems, marriage problems, and maybe alcohol and/or substance abuse problems.

I'm glad you got a screaming deal on the rifle as compensation for the hassle. I would assume the action alone is worth what you paid.

Not picking on you, we've all got different thresholds of pain for buying on line but to me this auction had a perfect trifecta of warning signs.

Low transaction count private party seller

No recourse payment method

Almost too good to be true price on an expensive item

I would have walked away, but then I don't usually get screaming good deals and you did. Bravo!

Frank

#158 ·
If the guy is going thru a divorce, he may very well be emotionally stressed and drained to the point that he can't concentrate clearly. I've had numerous friends and relatives both male and female that have gone through extremely trying divorces. Several of those divorces involved unfaithful spouses suddenly leaving the marriage to be with their new lover, coming as a complete surprise to the one left behind. One friend said she felt like she had been hit by a truck, then the truck backed up and ran over her a second time. When her husband walked out, she was taken totaly by surprise and was broken emotionally for months to the point she could barely function. A number of us found it necessary to group together to essentially help her get through everyday things like writing checks for her to sign so the bills got paid or verifying whether or not she had actually put gas in her car. She was so distraught she couldn't remember if she had done some of those things or not.

Don't know if the seller is going through a disabling divorce or not, but I have seen divorce really mess some people up mentally for awhile. He may be one of those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.