CZ 527, What Variation? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-10-2021, 04:55 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
CZ 527, What Variation?

I looked at a CZ 527 American M1P rifle today. Being a M1P it was a slim barreled 223 Remington with a three round trigger guard/magazine set up. The stock was different though. It wasn't the plastic or the dark brown walnut you normally see on one of these rifles. The stock was walnut in the American pattern with typical CZ checking but about three shades lighter than normal. More a honey brown with darker stripes thru the butt area. The stock also had what appeared to be rosewood forend tip set at a slant (instead of square on the stock) as CZ has done in the past and the same rosewood was used as a grip cap one the pistol grip. I've not seen one of these in the past (it has a B prefix serial number) but was wondering if it was a special run for some retailer/jobber? Any one have a clue as to what I was looking at, a catalog number or by who or when they were offered?
Old 04-10-2021, 06:28 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
There have been a couple of "special run" 527's in the past a photo would help.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Was traveling when a stop was made along the way, I wasn't planning on seeing anything so wasn't prepared when I saw something interesting to myself. I don't have any photos. The rifles still sitting on a shelf as far as I know. My Google searches haven't turned up any thing other than the standard synthetic and basic walnut stocked variations of the M1P 527's. A look thru the CZ-USA discontinued products turned up nada. And a few different title search's thru this forums old post resulted in the same. Thought I would ask and maybe find a couple of leads here. When I stumble across Big Foot or see a UFO I'm pretty sure I won't have a camera handy then either, I may have to up grade my phone one of these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2021, 09:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Still not sure exactly which 527 variation I saw but I've found a couple of clues. Stumbled across a photo of a 527 MAPLE LIMITED EDITON EBONY in Canada. It's a 527 in a maple LUX style stock with ebony accents. The pistol grip has an ebony grip cap and the forend has a slanted ebony forend cap. This is also a three shot trigger guard/magazine set up. The one shown had the spiral PRESTIEGE barrel. Then I looked up EBONY EDITION. This pulled up a bunch of 527 walnut stocks in the LUX pattern with slanted ebony forend caps and ebony grip caps. So it would appear that this is some sort of American stocked M1P style Ebony Edition rifle minus the spiral Prestige barrel. The ebony on the rifle I saw was grained instead of being jet black that I miss took as rosewood. Still not sure exactly what or for who these were for as variations of AMERICAN EBONY EDITIONS questions pulled up nothing new but at least I'm fairly confident it isn't a well done Bubba gun.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:25 PM
I6turbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59801 View Post
I looked at a CZ 527 American M1P rifle today. Being a M1P it was a slim barreled 223 Remington with a three round trigger guard/magazine set up. The stock was different though. It wasn't the plastic or the dark brown walnut you normally see on one of these rifles. The stock was walnut in the American pattern with typical CZ checking but about three shades lighter than normal. More a honey brown with darker stripes thru the butt area. The stock also had what appeared to be rosewood forend tip set at a slant (instead of square on the stock) as CZ has done in the past and the same rosewood was used as a grip cap one the pistol grip. I've not seen one of these in the past (it has a B prefix serial number) but was wondering if it was a special run for some retailer/jobber? Any one have a clue as to what I was looking at, a catalog number or by who or when they were offered?
Was it similar to this one?

Old 04-10-2021, 09:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Yes, except it has the three round trigger guard/magazine set up (the actions marked M1P where they normally say American, Varmint or Full Stock) and has an even lighter colored stock. May I ask what model or edition you have and when it was made?
Old 04-10-2021, 11:18 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Yes, except it has the three round trigger guard/magazine set up (the actions marked M1P where they normally say American, Varmint or Full Stock) and has an even lighter colored stock. May I ask what model or edition you have and when it was made?
It's a .223, says Classic on the receiver instead of American, and has a 2010 proof with A prefix. Here's what CZ-USA told me about it:
Per CZ Customer Service 1/31/17: 527 Classic, fancy stock with mahogany tip, shipped to Sports South, one of 120 units built from 2010 - 2013, a factory built custom, not a regular production gun, not in the catalog, Sports South or Bill Hicks might have additional detail.

I've seen another one for sale on GB, almost bought it, but exercised some restraint because I didn't need it at all, and sent the link to another member here who had asked about buying mine. They also made some 550s in the same fashion, I've seen photos of a couple of them.

The wood finish is very nice. In person it reminds me of a high-end custom gun but I'm not sure what the finish is. I think it's kind of like the 452 Grand Finale, but I don't think it's the same (based upon the close-up photos I've seen of the GF). The metal finish is also very nice, but I'm not sure if it's any nicer than a regular American that was nicely polished prior to bluing.

Last edited by I6turbo; 04-10-2021 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:39 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
I have seen an Ebony Edition locally several years ago but it had the "normal" 5 shot magazine....
Old 04-11-2021, 06:02 AM
Gator89
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can buy 5 round magazines for the 527 in .223/5.56, I bought a pair for mine from Gun Mag Warehouse a year or so ago.

My synthetic American shipped with one 3 rounder.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:54 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Okay now were getting somewhere. I don't think the stock accents were mahogany and if there ebony there grained ebony. I'm back to thinking it may be rosewood for the stock accents. One of the first things that I looked at was how CZ roll stamped the action looking for a clue but it read M1P so no help there. The one I looked at was "similar but different" than your CLASSIC. The stocks are almost identical except for the accent wood. The stock finish may possibly be an oil based. It was the lighter stock finish that caught my eye at first. I initially thought it had been refinished. With a "B" prefix it would be later than your CLASSIC with an "A" prefix. One hundred and twenty units is a pretty limited production run so the one I saw might be another limited retailers run. Like you I don't need another 527 or a 223 Remington, fortunately need has never been an overly large portion of of my reasoning process. In the past the LUX version of the EBONY EDITION was available locally but I already had a 223 LUX from 1993. So the deluxe version was allowed to go by the way. At one point in time I thought I ended up with one of CZ's limited run of ENGLISH walnut stocked 527's thru the third hand market. It had the Pachmayr recoil pad was from the right time period (2007) and had the same slightly different checking pattern as the English stocked rifles but a call to CZ said the serial number wasn't from that run. I actually prefer the three round magazine set up and have taken pains in the past to modify most of my other 527's to this style. The fact they can still use the 5 round magazines is another plus to the easier hand carrying. Something says that I'm going to take another drive, hopefully it's still on the shelf. I'll go better prepared the next time.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:20 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
You should buy it, then continue investigating the origins.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:10 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Some searching shows some 527s marked

M1P
American

but the ones I saw were in laminate stocks or synthetic. They had the 3-round magazine setup. The ones with photos to show detail were marked 1:9 twist and B prefix, so that may mean they were relative late models.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The M1 is CZ's designation for the 527 three round magazine and trigger guard set up. A somewhat recently discontinued variation. When looking for some information on this I saw that the ones shown had M1P in a smaller font above a smaller font AMERICAN. I may be misremembering but I think the rifle I saw just had the M1P marking no American mark. The plastic stocks seem to be most prevalent and walnut second, I didn't notice any laminated ones in my search. I found Sports South on the internet but no real help and I made the mistake of adding CLASSIC to my search but CZ used that in there product description of all the 527's so every thing related to these rifles showed up. I shoot 50 grain Hornady V max's out of my 223's so I'm hoping it's the earlier 1-12 twist. The barrel was not marked 1-9 but that's not a guarantee it's a 1-12. Tomorrow or Tuesday I may have the time to go looking again until then I'll just have to hope it stay's there.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:35 PM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
The M1 is CZ's designation for the 527 three round magazine and trigger guard set up. A somewhat recently discontinued variation. When looking for some information on this I saw that the ones shown had M1P in a smaller font above a smaller font AMERICAN. I may be misremembering but I think the rifle I saw just had the M1P marking no American mark. The plastic stocks seem to be most prevalent and walnut second, I didn't notice any laminated ones in my search. I found Sports South on the internet but no real help and I made the mistake of adding CLASSIC to my search but CZ used that in there product description of all the 527's so every thing related to these rifles showed up. I shoot 50 grain Hornady V max's out of my 223's so I'm hoping it's the earlier 1-12 twist. The barrel was not marked 1-9 but that's not a guarantee it's a 1-12. Tomorrow or Tuesday I may have the time to go looking again until then I'll just have to hope it stay's there.
Hopefully you'll end up with it.

Looks like the image I saw of the laminate stock was of an aftermarket stock.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%2B%22CZ%2...1559451110.jpg

My three remaining 527s are 1:12. They shoot 40 grain V-Max quite a bit tighter than any thing I've tried 52 grain or heavier. I've not shot any 50 grain V-Max but I'll have to give them a try.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Okay went back and if not money in hand at least money in pocket. Had more time to make a proper assessment. My original concern was this rifle was a well done Bubba special. But after 16turbo's pictures that was a lesser worry. So it's not marked SPECIAL but M1P over AMERICAN both in small font. So it began as a three shot set up any way. I don't have much knowledge of Mahogany, my impressions were it was a very straight grained wood, but I think that this rifles grip cap and forend tip are figured Mahogany. It's a very burgundy color against the lighter colored walnut. It also has a fair amount of figure but is more opened pored than rosewood. So until I'm informed otherwise it's mahogany. It has a 2012 date code so that put's it in 16turbo's time frame. Pushing a cleaning rod thru it said 1-12 which is my preferred twist. One of the reasons I thought Bubba gun is the forward sling swivel is screwed into the forend tip. Normally they are screwed into the main stock for more strength. But 16 turbo's has the same swivel location. The walnut portion of the stock has a fair amount of figure but isn't an all out lottery winner. It's also very lightly colored for a CZ. For a CZ 527 it's "different" which is what caught my eye about it. It's used in that you can tell the actions been worked some but the bolt face is very clean. If it's been shot it hasn't been much. No stock dings or bings. Aside from not being marked CLASSIC and the three shot M1P set up it's the same as 16turbo's rifle. Another retailers special run or a left over stock from the CLASSIC run? Any way I offered one hundred dollars less than the asking price. This got me a smile, a side to side head shake and a description of the current gun market. I don't think it helped any the fellow behind the gun counter recognized me from Saturday also. So I ended up paying a new 527 price for a used 527. But at least it's real and not a photo on a web site. If this is one of the 120 CLASSIC rifles for Sports South it would be interesting to know how it ended up in Montana from Louisiana. I'll have to give CZ a call and see what they know now that I have a serial number.