My new missing Anschutz - Page 10 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:37 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The Post Office should cash that for you. $ in hand.

The Post Office should cash that for you. With the cash in hand, you need not wait to send him back his funds. And maybe just use his Postal Money Order to buy a Postal Money Order at the Post Office, make it out and mail it to him Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested and have the delivery restricted to the named addressee only.

Doing it this way gives you evidence the money was paid. Considering how scatterbrained he was, you could predict he would continue that way and later claim the money was not returned. You will have the copy of the Postal Money Order you sent him and a signature from him proving he received it.

I have edited this and believe this advice should be followed for self protection and for doing things the right way. David

Last edited by David Valdina; 04-11-2021 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Address later posts giving contrary advice.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:07 AM

TPC Rating: 
99% (56)
I'd return his MO. I believe that if he goes to his local post office (or perhaps even his bank?, though on a divorce situation, he may not want to do that), and endorses it" "Not used for purpose intended", he should be able to cash it without difficulty.

Last edited by Camster; 04-11-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:10 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
This is where my true lack of integrity emerges. Id cash the check, and keep the money and the gun I would consider it an aggregation fee How much time and anxiety did you waste on this clown?

Theres a reason his wife is divorcing him, hes got more than a few lose screws.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:11 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Don't let down your guard just yet. Make sure the MO is legit first and go over the rifle with a fine toothed comb before you accept either. It would suck to fire him off a check then take the MO to the PO only to find out it is counterfeit. I wouldn't trust the guy at all after what you have been through. It might be just fine, and that would be great, but I would make absolutely sure everything is legit first.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:22 AM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
This is where my true lack of integrity emerges. Id cash the check, and keep the money and the gun I would consider it an aggregation fee How much time and anxiety did you waste on this clown?

Theres a reason his wife is divorcing him, hes got more than a few lose screws.
Still not the right thing to do. And yes, says a lot about your integrity

Old 04-11-2021, 11:24 AM
Njjr
National Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would cash the money order and then contact the seller and tell him you finally received both the rifle and the money. I would then inform him that I will either send him the rifle or the funds in a few weeks after you have checked the rifle and made sure the money order has cleared.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:28 AM

TPC Rating: 
99% (56)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNolan View Post
Agreed. Distant transactions should be handled in no less of a dignified way than a face to face transaction.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:56 PM
rapidfire10ring
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Naturally I teased the audience....I intend to return the money and since he sent a blank USPO Money Order I will fill in his name

I have to live with my conscience and give the best to someone else, no matter if they were sketchy in their actions. To be certain, I thought it was very strange that this entire event transpired as it did, and the range of thoughts and emotions went with it.
First, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, next it was a guarded suspicion, then it seemed a certainty I was being played and he intentionally defrauded me. Then it was anger and I was gathering my ducks to file charges. He called and seemed off kilter too.

Anyhow, all is well and I will remove the negative feedback I gave him...if I can figure out how.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:16 PM
JEC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
My vote would be to not entirely remove the negative feedback. Rather, leave accurate and complete feedback, which in this case would include both some negative and positive.

And kudos to you for sending the money back. He arguably doesn't deserve it, but it's not about what he deserves. How he behaved speaks to his character. How you behave speaks to yours. It's not okay to behave badly or dishonestly just because the other guy did so first, and your response shows you live up to those words. Vengeance might have been satisfying in the moment, but in the long run you'll be glad you took the high road. Good for you, and I'm glad to see that this ugly story came to a good conclusion.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:06 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I wouldn't fill his name in on it at all. I'd take a picture of it and send it back certified mail to prove you sent it back exactly how it arrived and that he received it. If it is counterfeit with your handwriting on it you could put yourself at risk for committing mail fraud. If it is legit, he can put his name on it himself. I may be paranoid, but it has served me well.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:00 PM
elohssa63

TPC Rating: 
75% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNolan View Post
Plus one on the above. That would be no different than stealing in my book.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:38 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (268)
First I've checked back in on this in awhile and happy to see that you finally got the rifle, AND a USPS Money Order, though strange that it's blank. As suggested above, carefully check out the rifle to be sure all is as it should be, and some caution on the MO is justified as there are counterfeit MOs. Every time I cash one at my bank, they look it over very carefully. I think Mike's suggestion is a good one -- don't write anything on the MO, take pics for your records and return it certified mail. Not paranoia at all, just good judgement.

A truly aggravating situation, and glad it worked out for you.

Doug
Old 04-11-2021, 08:56 PM
LeadSpitter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
This was the 4th auction on that rifle so I suspect he does own it and just isn't happy with the price. That's nuts I know but as you say he seems to fit that description. https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...=1&PageSize=48

If you still want the rifle it might be worth one more shot at having a civil discussion with him about the consequences of not following through with delivering the rifle or refunding your money.

Have you spoken to him in person? I can private message you the phone numbers showing for him. A simple phone call can sometimes cut through the fog much quicker than numerous emails.

And if you are ready to go nuclear, the USPS Postal Inspector and his local town police would be the logical next steps. You can cause him significant troubles. The ATF wouldn't have jurisdiction from what you've described so far as no federal firearm laws have been broken.

Good luck!

Frank
But if you look at the auction, you can clearly see he set the reserve price which was met. Now why he set it so low compared to the Buy It Now price, I haven't a clue.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:03 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Another 'warning'.
Is there anything you can do to ensure you are not now in possession of a gun he had no right to sell?
If so, and you send the check back too soon.......
Old 04-11-2021, 09:08 PM
LeadSpitter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidfire10ring View Post
All's well, that ends well, to quote Shakespear

Thursday my FFL called and he received a package that he was not expecting....no advance notice from UPS as would be usual. He called me and said that a blue Anschutz arrived.

Friday I stopped by my PO, just before heading out to my FFL, and found a USPMO from him for the full amount. I would guess he just was not keeping track of personal business and could not find what he needed.

I mad no threats of any sort and was quietly loading my shotgun of information to send off to the authorities.

On the 1st of April he called me and said he would send the rifle again. I waited a couple days and he said he sent it but had no tracking number. I asked hif to file for a lost package and make an insurance claim. Since he had no tracking information, I would suppose he could not make a claim.

Now, guys.....what should I do with the Money Order
I think before I did anything, I'd call that business and find out if it was part of their inventory or not.

Then I'd send the MO back, if you want the rifle still, along with a Thank you note letting him know he needs to get his divorce done and finalized and get his head straight before selling anything else because he has no clue how close you were to involving the authorities and everything else. Also, make sure to cancel the GB claim...

Glad you got it.