Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Took Annie To The Range Today

10K views 57 replies 27 participants last post by  AlapahaJack 
#1 ·
We mounted the new bipod and it will take a little getting use to.

This is at 50 yards with CMP Eley. I want to try some match grade ammo and hoping to do a little better with my score. The wind didn't help. I'm shooting better with the pod than off a bag.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Roger that. I'm amazed how a simple change in the grip or shoulder changes the grouping. The Annie is very sensitive to any changes in pressure.

I'm used to service rifles, so this is a new game for me. Especially with the 36 power scope. That 1/8th dot will move as you press the trigger.

Thanks for the advise!

#8 ·
Thanks for all the input and advise.

The previous owner of the Anchutz told me I was not going to see the rifle's potential until I use Eley Tenx. That was the rifle's favorite round.

He shot on the US Army rifle team. So I know she's a winner.

It's up to me to master this thing. I'm having fun with it!

#9 · (Edited)
In your photo your rear bag is askew, and the rifle is riding too high in it.
Both will affect your ability to group.

Raise the bi-bod, and place your rifle sitting more forward in the bag (closer to your grip), and make sure your rifle and bag are aligned.

Moving it forward will firm it up helping with it moving around, calm down the heart beat issue, and aligning it will allow the rifle recoil straight back.
Set-Up, Set-Up, Set-Up is half of the game.

Smooth

If your rifle is sitting that high in the rear bag because your target is so low, then I'd recommend placing the target higher.
You really want your rifle to be sitting much closer to level.

#10 ·
In your photo your rear bag is askew, and the rifle is riding too high in it.
Both will affect your ability to group.

Raise the bi-bod, and place your rifle sitting more forward in the bag (closer to your grip), and make sure your rifle and bag are aligned.

That will firm it up in your bag helping with it moving around, clam down the heart beat issue, and let the rifle recoil straight back.
Set-Up, Set-Up, Set-Up is half of the game.

Smooth

If your rifle is sitting that high in the rear bag because your target is so low, then I'd recommend placing the target higher.
You really want your rifle to be sitting much closer to level.
Good advise and thanks.

The problem with that range is that you are shooting down hill.

But I see I need to adjust for it and keep the bag near the grip. Thanks again!

#11 ·
just an opinion ...

Get rid of the bi pod and shoot from a real rest

All my years of shooting... and that's quite a few ,,,, the bi pod sucks

Serious bench rest shooters don't use bi pods for a good reason

just an opinion that even a low money front rest will out shine a bi pod ... every time

#12 · (Edited)
For the last three years my range has shot a year long USBR match only shooting off bipods.
This rifle has won 2 of the 3 championships shooting multiple 247's.
Details upon request.

We have over 30 shooters competing every month in multiple relays

Point being that using a bi-pod isn't that much of a hindrance. Some for sure, but less than most shooters think.

Oh, and by the way, 2nd place last year was taken by a shooter using the cheapest Harris bi-pod, and an old beat up Protektor rear bag.
Photos upon request.

So there's that........:)

Smooth

#24 ·
I noticed your skids, under the bipod.

Today, I put some varnished wood pieces under the bipods rubber feet. Now the rifle can "free recoil" and slide back.

Sure enough, it tightened my groups at 100 yards.

This is with Eley bulk. The wind was bad too.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Hey Smooth: If you don't mind can you give me some info on the bi-pod in your picture? Can it be configured to mount to a Winchester Model 52 rail? I would like to find something that's a bit easier to cart around than a 30 pound rest, yet is fairly accurate. Thanks much for any help...And that is one heck of a range you have there!!!

Rick H.

#14 · (Edited)
This is the link to the bi-pod in the above photo.
https://tier-one-usa.com/collections/bipods/products/ftr-bipod

It comes with Anschutz/Freeland rail adapter, as well as a stud adapter.
I you read the entire link you'll see you can oder as an accessory a Picattiny adapter, as well as a nice case.

I have no idea what your 52's rail is based on, so if it's the same as an Anschutz, your good to go.
If not if it can accept a stud, then the stud adapter would work.

However I've moved onto using a SEB Joy-Pod primarily because it's so much faster to get on target.
It only works with picatiiiny mounts, one of which comes with it and fits the Anschutz rail.

The SEB is really hard to get and is currently backordered until this summer.
Cost is 540.00 and it comes with a case.

Heres the SBE with my 1416 which has a Blackhawk stud to Pic rail adapter mounted on it.

Smooth

#16 ·
Thanks again for all the input here.

Some background on me. I'm new to .22 bench shooting. I have a good amount of experience with service rifles and shot expert my whole career.

Here I am shooting my new CZ 452 (stock ~3.5 lbs. trigger) at 100 yards, off bags. As you can see, I don't have any problems with heavy triggers.

I struggled with the Annie using bags as the contour of the butt made it difficult to keep it level. The bipod really helped in that area. The Annie's trigger feels less than one-pound.

I've got a lot to learn and I can't wait for my order of match ammo to arrive. I'm hoping this will help my grouping with the Anchutz.

Attachments

#18 ·
Bipods

I shoot some of my guns off bipods. Locally we shoot a factory class match. no front rests are allowed. bags and pods are ok. So I shoot some of my guns off a pod. some like it some don't. one hint- put a double folded towel under the pod. pods on a hard bench tend to open groups considerably for me. its a trick an old timer showed me long ago.

#39 ·
If you are using CMP bulk ammo, you can significantly improve your results by segregating the ammo by weight. I found that the CMP Eley varied in weight from 51.4 grains up to 54.3 grains. When I segregated the ammo by weight into lots that were within 0.3 grains of each other, downrange performance was much better, particularly at 100 yds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.