Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Lapua Lot Testing

4K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  AC5D 
#1 ·
Just got an appointment at Lapua East (Ohio) on 1 June to take Annie out to find out which lot she likes best. If it shoots better than the RWS Rifle Target has been doing, I will be ecstatic.

I was told to bring the entire rifle and since I shoot almost exclusively suppressed to bring the suppressor also.

If we find a good lot I'm going to try and buy three cases so that I can hold out on doing this again for a couple of years.

#4 ·
I would love to have the ability to test various lots of ammunition in a dedicated facility.
Australia doesn't have any manufactures test facility but the other problem with only one major distributor getting any decent choice of lotysd to test is impossible.

Sadly its a real raffle to come across ammunition that's going to be best in your rifle.

Not everyone can buy top level ammunition which still goes some way to closing in on accuracy.

For anyone who has access to these facilities take advantage of the benefits of them and enjoy your shooting even more.

#5 ·
Three Cases?

When I had my Anschutz tested in Ohio Luke and I discussed how much to buy. He told me about a guy who bought three cases but found over time the accuracy decreased. Not a lot, but some.

Talk with Luke. He told me rifles change over time.

#7 ·
When I had my Anschutz tested in Ohio Luke and I discussed how much to buy. He told me about a guy who bought three cases but found over time the accuracy decreased. Not a lot, but some.

Talk with Luke. He told me rifles change over time.
Interesting he would tell you this. was he referring to the rifle itself or the ammo, as you mentioned about the guy buying 3 cases finding out his rifle started to lose accuracy. if the rifle in question was a BR and it shot differently, it was because it was never in tune.

I have a 1411 with a barrel that is over 5-years old and with at least 40-K rounds down it and it is shooting better from when it was new.

Lee

#8 ·
I doubt if there are more than 2 or 3 shooters in 22lr BR who can go into their computer and pull out reliable data showing a lot of ammo has changed in how it shoots over a period of time. At a test center you shoot maybe 30 or 40 shots at most out of 1 box of the best lot. Probably not enough to predict how several cases of that lot will perform over an extended period of time.

#12 ·
Lapua Ammo Source

Appachian2, Luke had the names of the ammo sources. I got mine from Creedmore Shooting Sports, 256-403-3053.. They were a few cents cheaper because of the Lapua Testing site relationship (I think).

At the time I thought a case was a lot for me, but man given what's going on now sure I bought so much.

#23 ·
I've decided to have two tests done but both on the same rifle. I'm going to have Luke test the Annie 1761L with and without the suppressor so that I can get some scientific measurements of the effect of using the suppressor.

For the costs of two tests I can get real, verifiable data and - hopefully - the results will be such that there is a lot that does justice to both. Or I may end up buying a case each of two different lots and mark one for each type of shooting.

I will also make an appointment to return on 23 August to get the Vudoo tested probably the same way. The Vudoo is scheduled to be finished around 2 August so I will have some slack and I will drive up there after the Huntsville Hamfest 20-21 August.

#24 ·
Went to the Lapua Rimfire Testing Facility in Marengo, OH last week to get my 1761 retested. I had been there in June but something happened to all of the paperwork and I needed to retest.

Luke Johnson told me that they had gotten some new lots of Center-X in and some were showing real promise. About 125 rounds later we found a lot that was running .4” center-to-center at 50m and right at 1” center-to-center at 100m. Basically this says that my sporter 1761 is a minute-of-angle rifle with this lot of Center-X.

Testing was done in the stock as there is currently no action jig for the 1761. Luke has ordered one that he hopes to have by the time I go back in late October to test my new MPR. So far he has only seen one 1761 – mine.

Load testing at Lapua or Eley isn’t for everyone but I really enjoyed the experience and would do it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.