Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Setting up scopes for 50 metre benchrest.

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  ECC 
#1 ·
I am setting up some scopes for benchrest 50 metre.

An Optisan 6-24x56i, Nikko Hornet 10-50x60 ED and a Weaver T36.

Based on a standard .22 LR at around 1060 ft/sec what would the approximate drop be when fired from a horizontal barrel?

The Weaver is going to be fixed to the 11mm rail on a 64 MPR with Sportsmatch 19mm rings so I have about 45mm of scope to barrel adjustment to make and am just wanting to know of the requirement for projectile drop?

Thanks,

Eddie.

#5 ·
I've never bothered trying to calculate before shooting how the scope should be adjusted to achieve a zero at 50 yards/meters. There are too many possible unpredictable variables, including slight misalignment of the bore or the rings or the dovetail grooves as well as scope imperfections.

It is probably much more straightforward to simply zero your rifles at 25 yards or meters. It is very unlikely that they will not strike a 8.5 X 11" target paper at that distance. Once reasonably zeroed at 25, shooting at 50 meters is only a matter of adjusting the crosshairs a little further.

But if it helps, here is a ballistics chart that will show the amount of drop that will be seen in a Center X round shot at 1060 fps with the line of sight through the bore right on target (i.e. without any elevation).

#9 · (Edited)
I've never bothered trying to calculate before shooting how the scope should be adjusted to achieve a zero at 50 yards/meters. There are too many possible unpredictable variables, including slight misalignment of the bore or the rings or the dovetail grooves as well as scope imperfections.

It is probably much more straightforward to simply zero your rifles at 25 yards or meters. It is very unlikely that they will not strike a 8.5 X 11" target paper at that distance. Once reasonably zeroed at 25, shooting at 50 meters is only a matter of adjusting the crosshairs a little further.

But if it helps, here is a ballistics chart that will show the amount of drop that will be seen in a Center X round shot at 1060 fps with the line of sight through the bore right on target (i.e. without any elevation).

Hi G,

Thanks for the chart.

I took both rifles to the range today and shot a 50m match.

First half was with the 64 MPR/Weaver T36.
With the scope reticle centred the first shot was 185mm below and 25mm left.
I zeroed the scope and shot half a match with SK yellow.
295/13x.

I had set up my 64 SBR/Optisan reticle with Burris 10MOA inserts and first shot with reticule centred was 175mm high and 22mm left (I guessed the cant on the insert).
I have a 45 degree offset mount on this rifle.
The scope c/l to barrel c/l is 50mm and the offset to the left is 45mm.
I zeroed the scope and shot the second half of the match wth Centre X.
297/20x.

I have swapped the 10MOA Burris inserts for 5's and will check that out.

Thanks for everyone's input.

#7 ·
Whenever I bore sight on my 50yd range I end up well on target only A Tad Low, easy to shoot and tweak poi up with a few shots to be good enough for the practice/warm ups and final dial in.

#8 ·
Based on calcs it looks as if I need to allow 115mm for the projectile drop + 45mm for the scope height at 50 metres a total of 160mm or 6.3”.

Just wanted to know how much adjustment I had left if I shot at 100metres.

Answer is none.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.