New forty year old Sport King M - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-14-2021, 04:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New forty year old Sport King M

Picked this up last week and is an SH serial number for 81-82. Pistol is in exceptional condition with very low round count.

With stiff springs is not ejecting standard velocity reliably with around 50% of cases not thrown and landing back between slide and breech face. There was a firing pin ding that was catching brass so shaved the ding with my pen knife. Only MiniMags cycle reliably and Blazers were good. Aquila Pistol Match, Eley Bullseye X and CCI standard velocity are not clearing slide.
A bore scope showed pretty deep scratches from chamber reamer do polished chamber last night with felt pellet soaked with oil and 400 grit lapidary grit. Looks much better and didn’t have to pluck any cases today with knife blade. Still not reliable but groups very nice.

Should I just break if in with high velocity rounds or clip a coil off recoil spring? Will look chamber over again tonight and perhaps polish a little more as I think I’m closer than when I started. Feed is fine from original magazine but did polish the frame ramp last night as well.

May need to order a 5.5 X Barrel soon as I’m liking everything else about this one.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:29 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chamber

The chamber needs to be clean and polished enough for a cartridge to be dropped into the chamber with the muzzle pointing down, go all the way into the chamber so that the rim contacts the breech, then turn the barrel muzzle up and the cartridge will fall out easily. This is called a plop test due to the plopping sound made when dropping the cartridge in and when it falls out. There should not be a need to trim the driving spring.

A 5.5 inch bull barrel made for the adjustable sight models will have the front sight too high to shoot to point of aim. A bull barrel could be used if you want to add a red dot sight.

Looks like you got a nice gun.
Old 03-14-2021, 07:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSWayne View Post
The chamber needs to be clean and polished enough for a cartridge to be dropped into the chamber with the muzzle pointing down, go all the way into the chamber so that the rim contacts the breech, then turn the barrel muzzle up and the cartridge will fall out easily. This is called a plop test due to the plopping sound made when dropping the cartridge in and when it falls out. There should not be a need to trim the driving spring.

A 5.5 inch bull barrel made for the adjustable sight models will have the front sight too high to shoot to point of aim. A bull barrel could be used if you want to add a red dot sight.

Looks like you got a nice gun.
Cartridges fall in easy but this was definitely not some of HS highest quality work barrel wise. Chipped chamber reamer and top of lands looks like they drilled and run it through the rifling machine. First patch peels lead slivers after 40-50 rounds. Breech end of chamber measures.2305 3-9 o’clock and .2315 noon to six after polishing. 3/8” in a oversized gauge in chamber exists with bluing still intact after polishing. Lots of play with a cartridge dropped in but the oversized area that’s in a little may be causing the cycling issue.
Frame work was very nice and obviously not reject parts bin pieces. Trigger crisp unadjusted at 40ozs.
Springs are cheap but hate to go that way of cutting a coil off. Barrels aren’t but have full machine shop access to fit another or turn a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2021, 07:42 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Solved the little problem with the poor barrel work with just a couple clicks!
5-1/2” SS chambered barrel liner ordered and a 8” long 1” diameter SS round bar stock ordered. I can machine just what I want.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:42 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The last series of guns from Hi Std in the mid 1980's before they folded were the SH series. They were hurting financially and their response was to reduce manufacturing costs. Sloppy workmanship was induced by the new pay plan for the number of parts produced by workers (piece work) and the outsourcing of some parts. The SH series was a last ditch effort by the management to survive.

I have only seen one SH gun and it was crude at best. They also sold guns with cosmetic problems that were marked in the serial numbers as such. Who knows what other compromises were made by Hi Std in their attempt to stay alive? SH guns (with the exception of the custom made Ten-X) can be very hit or miss for quality which can impact accuracy and reliability.

Its not like they didn't know how to make excellent guns. The East Hartford ML series guns from earlier in that time were and are excellent guns. At least my ML Victor certainly is. In fact those ML series guns are the best bargain for a shooter Hi Std.

Making a new barrel sounds easy for a machinist but barrel making is almost an art form. If you start with a liner or a barrel blank from a renown barrel maker then you have a better chance of succeeding. But you will still have to successfully ream out the chamber. A good machinist could do this and end up with something better than the SH barrel described in this post.

LDBennett
Old 03-15-2021, 09:54 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
LD, this barrel shoots well enough for what it is once POA was figured out. I added .080 height to front sight to bring it much closer yesterday with no problem keeping all shots in the 9-10 ring on an A23/5 bull yesterday at ten yards. The jamming with spent cartridges either not cycling or sideways is just not worth the expense of ammo though. I could further lap the bore and curtail the leading and chamber is much closer than it was to proper cycling.

The liners a vendor is selling on eBay are chambered and look very nice. Having the skill and machinery to undertake the job I may as well save a buck for more ammo. I chose 303 SS for my barrel stock to bore due to excellent machinability.

Brothers and I have building black powder competition rifles shooting since our teens with rifles holding state and National records. We also have a rifling machine setting in a side shed but I won’t go there, too much work😎

I’m guessing that purchasing a gun parts barrel could be hit or miss as well but they may be great. Would still have to machine the SH lug and drill and tap for screw mount. Guess I’ll just build me own custom Victor wanna be with Halebilly engineering.

Your posts have been very informative that I’ve read through about the history of HS. Too bad all American arms manufacturers have come to the same point of cutting manufacturing cost to stay afloat. I could have had a new Glock for $25 more than I paid for this but plastic guns don’t really turn me on.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:45 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Barrels

We have NEW "X-Series" High Standard barrels in stock. Our "SH" Series will fit you pistol. These barrels will shoot approx 1/4" 5 shot groups at 25 yards and approx 1/2" groups at 50 yards. They are Victor style. You can read the posts about our barrels on this forum.- Alan Aronstein
Old 03-16-2021, 10:02 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Alan , I see those but more then I want to spend on a new pistol just purchased. This barrel would be a good one to show employees what not to do when making a barrel though.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:34 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (99)
I have one just like it only the longer barrel version. It shoots very well and is very accurate. No problems with it after Alan worked on it for me. He replace any springs that need replacing and tuned the 2 magazines I sent with it.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Laid hands on a bull barrel HS HD Military today, it felt good but must resist!

Picked up a nice English made holster for a Colt the other day fit is perfect other than the thumb strap. Dropped off at local harness maker and a double snap extension made. He wanted to stitch it in to match but I would like a Colt Commander one day.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:15 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (99)
Quote:
Originally Posted by W8LON View Post
Laid hands on a bull barrel HS HD Military today, it felt good but must resist!

Picked up a nice English made holster for a Colt the other day fit is perfect other than the thumb strap. Dropped off at local harness maker and a double snap extension made. He wanted to stitch it in to match but I would like a Colt Commander one day.
I would like a COLT GOLD CUP 45 someday too!
Old 03-21-2021, 04:02 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Figured out the Lee Machine rest to test the bum factory barrel with. File machined a fake magazine to replace magazine and mounted it to angle aluminum. Pistol is allowed to recoil upwards and retained by exercise bands for repeatability.
This confirms that better shooting standard velocity will not cycle action yet groups the best. Will put a barrel liner in factory barrel as well as machine a new barrel with a SS barrel liner as well in Victor style with machined rib.
Eley Bullseye X and Aquila Pistol Match performed best in today’s high winds at 25 yards.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:23 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At the machine shop making a new barrel. Machined a 1” bar of 303 SS to diameter needed and bored hole for SS liner the first evening. Barrel liner epoxied in overnight. Faced off breech then fluted barrel with a 1” cove end mill. Three sides fluted and a flat milled on top for sight rail ala Victor. With barrel mounted to frame I loaded a mag with high and standard velocity ammo and stepped out the shop door and cycled flawlessly for three mags.

Must have been the poor machining on the factory barrel as suspected. Only way to save that is drill it out and order another liner.

Holo sight should be mounted by this afternoon after completing machining on the rail and drill and tap.

Barrel will be soda blasted and rib sandblasted before bluing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C9981E0F-BE6F-4F0D-99C1-EA2F208B64B9_1617204146845.jpeg (208.0 KB, 114 views)
Old 03-31-2021, 11:18 AM
OldDave
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks good. Looking forward to more pictures of your progress.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:32 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDave View Post
Looks good. Looking forward to more pictures of your progress.
Yes, more pictures please!