Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Reliable Extraction & Ejection?

57K views 87 replies 47 participants last post by  Oldevo 
#1 ·
Try this fix worked out by RFCers.

Posted this on another forum, thought it might help someone on here as well...........

Ejection on my rifle (anschutz 64 mpr) was very poor, 1/3 of the cases exit properly on the right, 1/3 out the left side, and 1/3 just lay on top of the next shell, regardless of how fast or slow you work the bolt. This seems to be a common problem on this model, and is totally inexcusable on a $1000 rifle, my old $39 stevens single shot worked better.

I have been studying the problem for several weeks, and had confined my work to the "shell retainer" (the left side extractor looking thing) as i had thought the problem was this part was holding the case too securely, as several people on rimfire central.com have removed this trying to get these guns to eject better. I ordered a couple of spares and whittled them into several different configurations to no avail.

I started studying different brands of bolt action .22's, i had an old remington and a ruger 77/22, and looked at several others at some gun shops. My brother-in-laws savage mkii was what really turned on the light, as it is a close copy of the annie 64 and it works perfect.

The annie 64 extractor holds the head of the shell very tightly against the bolt face, all the others, without exception, had at least 5-10 thousandths of "slop" between the tip of the extractor and the case rim.....bingo!!

An easy fix....

Disassemble the bolt, carefully pry the half round leaf spring off the extractor or shell retainer with a small screwdriver.

Here are the parts, the shell retainer is on the left side and the extractor is on the right side, don't get them mixed up....

the extractor (on the right side, with the sharp hook) needs a small amount removed from the small flat marked with the arrow. This allows the hook to be farther away from the bolt face when extracting.

do this a little at a time with a small file, reassemble and check ejection after each few thousandths, keep the angle at 90 degrees, don't angle it out. I removed about .012 inch from mine.

the half moon spring is kind of a pita to snap back over the ejector and retainer, it helps to clamp the bolt in a vise facing up, and use a thin wire or jewelers screwdriver to make a ramp and slide the spring down over the part, make sure the hooks are completely snapped over both sides.

Mine works perfect now, i can work the bolt fast or slow, it doesn't matter, piles them up right beside me.

As always, this worked perfect on my gun but ymmv. If something happens and you screw it up, a new one costs about $9 from gunsmithing, inc.

Hopes this helps someone else.

Hb
... What i did was a little different in that i filed the tabs on both the right and left extractors. I made the left one (shell holder) closer to the specs of a new extractor i had ordered. It did seem strange that the new set of extractors were slightly different in size than the ones on my rifle. But, the gun had been back for repair twice so i'm sure they used different extractors when they tried to fix it... But who knows. I'm sure just a slight difference in their dimensions can be the reason some people have these problems and some don't.

All i know for sure is the guy at styer told me it was my scope, or it was me, or it was something i had to deal with.

Guess he was wrong:rolleyes:

Hope this helps. I know it wasn't hard to do, and after i found the pictures, it gave me something to sort of go by.

Kenny

#71 · (Edited)
Just did the mod on my 1710. Works a lot better. Now I only get one or two fails instead of 10 or more per 100 rds and the empties get thrown farther.

One question, Does the beveling of the extractor/ejector tops in the pics actually do anything to help also?

In answer to my own question I did the beveling and it did improve the ejection. 1 case out of 100 and the cases are thrown even further like they should be. Thanks for mod tip.

#75 ·
Another successful modification. I know it's an old thread but just came across it as I was dealing with the problem. Thanks guys!!! Old Weatherby / Annie 64 was not ejecting ~30% of time ... today at range, 100% ejection ... 150 rounds plus and various brands. Didn't take much time and was an enjoyable little modification.

#76 ·
Hi,
Thanks for all the informations!!
I just bought a new Anschutz 1416 that eject 50%......did the filing to .080 and now, it eject perfect but, not on the last round. The spent case stays on top of the empty mag every time.
It's not so bad as you have to reload anyway but, do someone have the same issue?

#77 ·
I have a 1712 that I shoot benchrest sporter matches at a local gun club, it too suffers from poor ejection. What I have learned is that if I pull the bolt back until I feel resistance from the ejector then snap it the rest of the way back it'll eject cleanly probably 95% of the time. This is probably no help to most folks but it works for what I do.

#78 ·
Anschutz ejection problem

My 1700 FWT repeater and my later 1907 single shot have occasional ejection problems on the bench, but I live with it. My 1408 ED Super Running Boar 1600x series ejects flawlessly every time and does not have the spring clip over the extractors.

#79 ·
I recently purchased a used 1416D HB (2013Model) and shot it this past Sunday for the first time. Ejection is all over the place, some go out the left side. I contacted ANA yesterday and they said send the Barreled Action and the Bolt and they will fix it. It thought initially it was bolt only? I do a little home gunsmithing and I'm pretty handy with a file, so I think I will fix it myself per the info in this thread.

#82 ·
Some pretty solid advice in this thread. I just acquired what I believe to be a new 1416, German made rifle. So, I have the classic extraction issues, but also feeding issues, especially with the 10rd mags I bought from MGW. I ordered a parts kit with the needed parts, and a couple more 5 rd mags.
Question, are these two issues related? Because with the bolt removed, takes a fair amount to insert a rd into the bolt face.
I have wanted an Anshutz for 4 decades, I bite the bullet and even though the rifle is extremely accurate, at the moment it is not a lot of fun to shoot.
Me fixing it is a pipe dream, I have the mechanical aptitude of a field mouse.

#84 ·
Milo 2.5....I agree with Cam - I've never had much luck with 10 round factory Anschutz magazines.
I've spent a lot of time over the years modifying Anschutz 64 and 54 extractors to function reliably.
I've found that having the magazine housing adjusted correctly will assist with reliable ejection.
The 1416 has an adjustable tab held in place by the rear screw in the magazine housing itself. You can adjust the magazine angle slightly by adjusting that tab IF you are experiencing any feed issues BUT it is not a job for a novice as there is a knack to loosening that rear screw!
I've found that most Anschutz sporters that have ejection failures grip a bullet very tightly between the extractor claws. The secret is in knowing just how much material to remove from the extractor and shell holder so that the rifle will eject to the right, at a low angle to clear the scope turrets and at about 2.00 o'clock. I still have trouble understanding why expensive rifles like Anschutz leave the factory with these issues. I've bought and replaced extractors from several high quality 22LR manufacturers and I've had to precisely fit them all to work correctly.

#85 ·
Thanks for the help! I can work around magazine size, not overly happy about paying 85 per for 3 of them though. My parts kit should be here today, I will take some measurements and see if what I bought is any different than what is installed.
I'll most likely get ahold of the company to fix issues, not sure how much expense I am willing to endure here. I do want to make it work, because the rifle is extremely accurate.

#86 ·
Shooting my 1710 D HB a few days ago the pickings were getting pretty slim in my ammo case. The lone box of Eley Target that had been hiding at the bottom for the last few years was up to bat. It didn't shoot very well but it ejected great. Perfect little arcs out at 2 o'clock every time.

I had made some small adjustments to the extractor and shell retainer per the recommendations but the Polar Biathlon I shot earlier still wasn't ejecting reliably. Measuring the rim diameter and rim thickness of some fired brass showed the diameter was within a thousandth but the Eley rim was about 4 thousandth thinner. Perhaps I need to take about .004 more off the extractor to move the hook farther from the bolt face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.