Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Old Style Sight Hood

3K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  Shum8 
#1 ·
I need the part number, and source for the Old Style Round Front Sight Hood.
I have a Later type "Wide Scan" hood on my 1965 39A, that I got from Marlin, but I would prefer the correct type. Thanks!

#2 ·
Unfortunately that’s gonna be an online used parts source item. Watch Ebay, Gunbroker, etc. Numrich may have em from time to time, but ebay may be your best bet. Also, if you have any old time gunsmiths nearby, hit them up as well. Many folks removed them when mounting a scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
They're not real easy to find any more but they are out there . Any I've seen have been selling in the $60.00-$100.00 price range depending on condition. Check ebay as they do turn up from time to time.
Be patient ,keep looking , something will turn up.

#12 ·
I thank you all for the help! But does anybody know what the part number was? I have the p/n for the current style. It would help in the search.
Also, I have seen some hoods that look like the correct part ,but the gun manufacturer was not indicated. I have a Winchester 1894 carbine that has a hood that looks like the right part -are they the same? Are these hoods just "hardware" parts that various manufacturers purchase for their production?
Maybe I should see if the Winchester one will fit?

#15 · (Edited)
How many do you need? That part hasn't been made in many years, and will probably never be made again. I know of no websites that still tie it to its original part number, and most selling them have no idea what the part number was. You now know where one is - and you're still wanting to try the Winchester hood? I guess I don't understand the need for the original part number to search for a part you already have a source for.......

#22 ·
There are two listed on ebay right now . One for $62.50 & the other for $55.00 . You don't see them for sale very often anymore . I believe 1967 was the last year they were made.
I think the wide scan hood that replaced the round hood was introduced in 1973. I may have one more round hood here in my parts box. I sold several this year and may not have any left.

#20 ·
Sight Hood

Well, the real reason that I want the original part is, the new style one I got from Marlin, p/n 320245, really doesn't fit the old type ramp-it sets kind of crooked. So I wanted one that fits. I thought I would need the p/n to positively identify that it IS the correct part.
This all was before I checked out the Front Sight Assembly on eBay. That one is, of course, the correct one , and I would go for it , except that $55+ is more than I would pay for a Hood. Selling the ramp wouldn't happen.
If the one on the Winchester was the same part, well that would certainly expand the possibilities searching- I was just thinking of trying it on for fit as an experiment.
I just need one. I'm not looking to stock up on parts. This certainly isn't critical-the rifle still shoots the way it is!
Thank you all for your help!

#21 ·
one thing I have noticed about the sight hoods. If you shoot with the factory sights, it just makes that Brass bead dark and hard to see. I have a 55 model without the sight hood and a 66 model with the sight hood. I have a red dot on the one with a sight hood and a Williams peep sight on the one without the sight hood. Much prefer to shoot the one without the hood. The 66 I am going to order a FP-39 Williams sight for after the Holliday's and the hood will be removed from that one also. Then put away for future needs.

#24 ·
Old Sight Hood

Thank you Shum8 for the great photos! They will certainly help me know what to look for. I will keep in mind that the same part is used on all Marlins of this vintage.
The new Wide-Scan Hood does not fit correctly on the older ramp sight. However, it is not a $60 or $100 problem. Maybe I should try it again without a hood as Jstanfield103 suggests-make it easier to see the Bead.

I looked again at the Winchester Hood. Compared it to Shum8's photos, and there is quite a bit of difference-definitely NOT the same part!

I think I'll try Dick Williams Gun Shop.

#28 ·
You could try it the easy way, just enter "Marlin 320245" into Google Search. I think you'll be amazed at the useful answers you get!

That's Google - not ebay. Try it.
Ok - I tried the "easy" way, but I found zero old style front sight hoods searching for "Marlin 320245". Would you be so kind as to post up a couple links of the positive results you got from those search parameters please? I'm sure there are folks here that would be grateful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.