Bausch & Lomb Elite Elite 4000 36X opinions? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Casca
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bausch & Lomb Elite Elite 4000 36X opinions?

Anyone have one and love/hate/something else for benchrest shooting? Found a super clean used one for $350 - better than a Weaver T36 or Lupe 36X?
Old 05-05-2009, 09:12 AM
MGT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
6mm BR optics article rates this discontinued scope as 4 stars. Weaver T36 is 3 star and Leupold Competition as 4 star. Same link says $300-350 for used price so you might offer $270 and slowly work your way up.

Here is a very old (May 1996?) review of B&L 36X compared to T36 and Leupold. That front focus AO Leupold 36X is no longer made, being replaced by the Leupold SF 35X, 40X, and 45X. B&L was selected as overall winner, although no mention of B&L short adjustment range. Neither the Leupold or the Weaver in that test had great tracking IMO for a target scope. The B&L had better tracking than the other two. That old T36 that was tested is probably nothing like the new ones, as its elevation adjustment range is listed as 20 inches at 100 yards, while new T36 are now 60 inches at 100 yards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmBR
Bausch & Lomb Elite 36x (Old Model)
Pros: Very reliable tracking. Good glass, with better contrast and slightly better resolution than the Weaver T-36. Parallax adjustment via front AO is smooth, with enough travel for good precision. Good durability.
Cons: Small exit pupil. Elevation moa is limited so you will need a +20 moa angled base or shims for long distance. Very slightly heavier than the other fixed-power 36x scopes. No side focus.
OVERALL: This scope is out of production but is worth looking for used ($300-$350), because of its solid tracking and lower weight than Leupold Competition scopes.
Even though this scope has been long discontinued, they are still used at the ARA competition. In 2008, two shooter were using B&L 36X and two used B&L 55x scopes, out of a field of 112 shooter. Most were using Leupolds, with Weaver T36 in second.

Last edited by MGT; 05-05-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Black_Talon
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I've been led to believe that the B&L 36x AO focus only goes to 50yds, minimum. Can anyone verify this?

I've experimented with out "50yd minimum" AO scopes over the years and found some of them will not focus sharply at 50yd. Varialbles at max power seem to be the worst for this, but I've also had trouble with some fixed power scopes as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Casca
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, a new twist - the fellow says they're not marked elite 4000... says the bottom of the scope is marked with a model number of 64-3640. Searched and searched and have come up empty handed on this one. Says they're about 15 - 16 years old, Japanese made (he has a pair).

I'm sure the 3640 refers to the mag and aperture, but the model number as a whole comes up naught - just a reference from March of this year of a guy trying to sell one.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Black_Talon
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca View Post
(he has a pair).
Is this the guy that had them listed on ebay?
Old 05-09-2009, 05:47 AM
MGT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casca View Post
Well, a new twist - the fellow says they're not marked elite 4000... says the bottom of the scope is marked with a model number of 64-3640. Searched and searched and have come up empty handed on this one. Says they're about 15 - 16 years old, Japanese made (he has a pair).

I'm sure the 3640 refers to the mag and aperture, but the model number as a whole comes up naught - just a reference from March of this year of a guy trying to sell one.
I would proceed carefully. A new Weaver T36 can at times be found for a bit less than $400. I would not buy unless I was given a generous inspection/return period. The B&L 36X that was reviewed at 6mmBR had a 42mm objective. Obviously this is not the same series scope. The one reviewed in 1996 had a 40mm objective, but model number is 40-3640A.

Sorry that i am of not much help here.

Here is a suggestion to minimize risk. Call Bushnell's (800) 423-3537 number and given them the scopes model, but they may also need serial number. That scope should still be under warranty, but I would ask. The last time I talked to Bushnell, they had modified all riflescope warranty (old and new) and will cover all scopes, even those that have transferred owners with a lifetime warranty. Bushnell has told me wrong information in the past though so I would double check. Pump them for as much information as you can, so ask about the other model number for the 1996 review I had posted.

Last edited by MGT; 05-09-2009 at 06:00 AM.