Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:48 PM
echo26

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasDoc View Post
I have a sparrow and a mask. With both silencers, I noticed a dramatic improvement after a few dozen rounds to dirty up the internals. I shot the sparrow in a barn and the first couple magazines I swore I had a defective silencer. It really does get a lot better when it gets some lead buildup. I shoot CCI standard velocity almostexclusively

What’s an honest comparison between those two on a rifle host?Looking hard at a sparrow for rifle use next time
Old 02-15-2021, 12:24 AM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo26 View Post
Whatís an honest comparison between those two on a rifle host?Looking hard at a sparrow for rifle use next time
A mask will be my next purchase but I already have one sparrow and another in jail. Itís funny how you get different results with different firearms. On my cz 457 scout using sk it sounds about like a pellet gun, on my kidd 10/22 I would say itís better than the scout. With my two vq scorpions itís more quiet than the 10/22. I tried it on a keltec p17 and that seemed more loud than all of them(but still a huge improvement). My best results have been with my 77/22. It is literally just a click and thump.

Itís a really nice can, I love the way they tear down. I donít need the mask but I just figure why not, itís another toy. I think my sparrow was $279+tax+the stamp. Itís a great value.

Iron
Old 02-15-2021, 09:34 AM
GE-Minigun

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The number one thing I tell anyone that is looking to purchase a suppressorÖtry before you buy. Not to be an %%%, but you learned and expensive lesson, the ďnetĒ is not the place to hear a suppressor, the only way is actual; what may sound amazing to you will sound like crap to me and vise versa. I was at a machinegun shoot couple years back and what I though was a nice sounding suppressor (on the net) AAC 9mm something, sounded like you were shooting through a 55 gallon drumÖI mean an UGLY sounding can. I was the only guy there that though it sounded like it didÖvery tinny sounding to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2021, 09:58 AM
GasDoc
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo26 View Post
Whatís an honest comparison between those two on a rifle host?Looking hard at a sparrow for rifle use next time
I honestly canít tell the difference in sound. Both affect point of impact very slightly and consistently.

I learned after buying several silencers to choose my next one based off features like materials used, ease of cleaning and takedown, and choose a brand you trust in case $hit happens... because all the major brands are so darn good you wonít notice a few decibels here or there
Old 02-15-2021, 04:20 PM
98_1LE

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasDoc View Post
I learned after buying several silencers to choose my next one based off features like materials used, ease of cleaning and takedown, and choose a brand you trust in case $hit happens... because all the major brands are so darn good you wonít notice a few decibels here or there
Me too.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:57 AM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Late to the thread, but somewhat agree with others on expectations. Have a Surefire, not a Mask, but have have used several rimfire suppressors in the past.

In my experience, to get Hollywood quiet suppressed sound levels, you need to use a bolt rifle and be firing CCI Quiets or similar reduced power ammo. Standard velocity ammo through most suppressors will sound like a pellet rifle. Handguns generally louder. Still a significant reduction in sound, but not what many expect.

I use my suppressor on most of my rimfire rifles and handguns. Everything from .22 to .17 HMR, .17 M2 and .22 Mag. With anything HV, you get a sonic crack. The suppressor takes away most of the muzzle blast and boom, but still loud. Well worth using one, makes it hearing safe.

When I look at suppressors, sound reduction is a big factor, but also length, weight, circumference, ease of cleaning, accuracy impact and multi cal capability. Larger suppressors tend to be quieter than minis. Don’t pick one solely on DB reduction. A rimfire suppressor is well worth the trouble and expense if you are a rimfire enthusiast. I would stay away from a centerfire rated suppressor as they are generally too large and heavy for a rimfire.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:23 AM
Remander

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Definitely not like all the videos
Try recording your setup in action and loading the video to YouTube.

Then you can compare it to others and see if the difference is in actual performance, or just that guns/suppressors sound different in YouTube videos than they do in real life.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:21 PM
Gunslinger1MS

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Mask

Just a thought, how long is the threaded area of your RARs barrel? If by chance it is longer than your other host platforms, there is a possibility of it affecting suppression. I think .400 is the industry standard, if yours is longer, a spacer might be in order. As I understand it, the muzzle being to close to the first baffle, can have a negative effect. Curious if this is the case with your set up. I do own a mask along with 3 other rimfire cans and it is as good as any of the others, in terms of suppression.