Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:18 AM
MrMan2021

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not Made in China scope recommendation

I know there are many recommended scopes on this site but I'm specifically looking for a scope for shooting paper with parallax from 25 yards to infinity on my Anschutz 22LR rifle. I typically shoot between 50 yards to 200 yards, may try to go further out.

I don't want anything made in China. I know there are several good scopes from good companies that are made in China but I'm trying to stay away from anything made in China. Made in the USA is my preference but anything not made in China is a good starting point. The original budget was sub $800 but being told sub $800 may still put me in the made In China scopes so willing to go sub 1K.

appreciate the recommendations,

Last edited by MrMan2021; 07-30-2021 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:29 AM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Gen 2 Viper has a 25-yard to infinity parallax:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Vip...Closeouts.aspx

They are made in the Philippines (the Vipers) like the Nikons and some of the Burris models, and they come with a great lifetime warranty.

I don't like 30mm scopes (I like 1 inch tubes), but since you are extending your range out to 200 yards, then a bigger scope should give you more elevation.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:35 PM
justin87

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The only scope i can highly recommend that isn't made in China under 800 are the SWFA SS Fixed power scopes. They're made in Japan. The above 10x powers are out of stock everywhere except Ebay.I just scooped up a used SWFA SS 16x42 mildot from ebay for 200 and they have a few more brand new SWFA SS scopes listed at 400 on Ebay which imo is still a decent deal for a Brand New Made in Japan optic.

Check out Midways Clearance section along with Brownells(you can find great deals there from time to time) they may have a few mid tier Leupolds under 800 and i saw a bunch of Blemished Crimson Trace Hardline Pro's that seemed like a great bargain so do some research on those. And check out the Meopta Optika 6, they come in both SFP and FFP and theres a few within your pricerange, they seem promising. Of course do your own research and see if they'll meet your needs.

I also like to keep an eye on Ebay and keep an eye on the used scopes because you can come across good deals on discontinues scopes like Nikons, Weavers, old Leupolds etc.

While the Vortex Viper PST is a good deal at 450 from EuroOptic, its parallax only goes down to 50 yards so it wouldn't be a great fit for us Rimfire guys.

Last edited by justin87; 07-30-2021 at 01:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2021, 02:03 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin87 View Post
The only scope i can highly recommend that isn't made in China under 800 are the SWFA SS Fixed power scopes. They're made in Japan. The above 10x powers are out of stock everywhere except Ebay.I just scooped up a used SWFA SS 16x42 mildot from ebay for 200 and they have a few more brand new SWFA SS scopes listed at 400 on Ebay which imo is still a decent deal for a Brand New Made in Japan optic.

Check out Midways Clearance section along with Brownells(you can find great deals there from time to time) they may have a few mid tier Leupolds under 800 and i saw a bunch of Blemished Crimson Trace Hardline Pro's that seemed like a great bargain so do some research on those. And check out the Meopta Optika 6, they come in both SFP and FFP and theres a few within your pricerange, they seem promising. Of course do your own research and see if they'll meet your needs.

I also like to keep an eye on Ebay and keep an eye on the used scopes because you can come across good deals on discontinues scopes like Nikons, Weavers, old Leupolds etc.

While the Vortex Viper PST is a good deal at 450 from EuroOptic, its parallax only goes down to 50 yards so it wouldn't be a great fit for us Rimfire guys.

The more expensive Vortex Viper Gen 2 does go down to 25 yards.

Had 2 fixed 20x power SWFA SS, but they were too much for me, so I sold them cheap.

Perhaps 16x is OK, but most people who use them limit theirs to 10x for maximum clarity, albeit a 12x version may be fine, too.
Old 07-31-2021, 03:28 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is one of the better deals I have seen for $1,000:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/902505330
Old 07-31-2021, 09:37 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you don't want a very expensive Weaver, Leupold, Burris, Bushell or Nikon there are lower level scopes from most made in Korea or the Phillipines. The real trick is reading the place of manufacture on each scope you look at. The Name brand doesn't reallly tell you where a scope is made..... High level Pentax may be made in Japan and lower level Pentax in China. I know there are other brands like Swift but the choice you make will depend on many factors.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:29 AM
skywag
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If it isn't made in Oregon...............I don't want it!
Old 07-31-2021, 11:16 AM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My recommendation would be to give Doug a call at CameralandNY . He is a supporting vendor here and he has been a straight shooter and more than fair on his prices always. Great customer support also. If he can't find you what you are looking for, nobody can.

I used to be a huge supporter of Leupold and still own a few , but I'm starting to move away from them. Heck, I live just a couple miles from their factory... but I've found over the last few years since they changed management that they have cut a lot of corners and aren't the company they used to be. Also, I've also had problems with their erector systems. Having to tap the side caps each time I made an adjustment to make it "settle in" and wondering if the adjustment you made was going to be the amount you thought you adjusted just got old. Also, a tall target test will tell you a lot about a scope- especially for long range shooting- and Leupold fails most tall target tests in my experience...
Yeah, I know I'm going to hear from the "you don't know what you're talking about crowd"... but I've only owned about 30-40 Leupold scopes over the years, so what would I know? I'm down to about 5 or 6 now....

About the best reticle system I've found for long range shooting and close focus are the SWFA SS scopes with the mil/mil reticle. And they dial reliably and accurately and have more adjustment than just about any scope available these days- about twice as much as most scopes... just trying to get one these days has been difficult with the supply chains all screwed up as they are....

Athlon also has some very nice scopes in your price range and Doug at CameralandNY handles those on his site for very attractive prices. Excellent values for the glass you will get .
Old 07-31-2021, 11:33 AM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have a Leupold 6.5-20X40 EFR with target turrets on my 1710, but that scope has been discontinued...apparently along with every other useful scope they made. I am very frustrated with Leupold these days. I've got a VX-II Leupold 6-18X40 EFR also, but you guessed it...discontinued. VX-II 4-12X40 AO...discontinued.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:06 PM
trumph
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I purchased a Meopta Meopro from Cameraland. Very nice scope. European glass. Lots of optima 6s at Cameraland and eBay right now. You can get a very nice Meopta for under $800. The Meopro 4.5-14x44 I have is equal to or maybe slightly better than my Leupold 6.5-20 efr.

Last edited by trumph; 07-31-2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:24 PM
lone gunman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumph View Post
I purchased a Meopta Meopro from Cameraland. Very nice scope. European glass. Lots of optima 6s at Cameraland and eBay right now. You can get a very nice Meopta for under $800. The Meopro 4.5-14x44 I have is equal to or maybe slightly better than my Leupold 6.5-20 efr.

I would second this, I have five meopta scopes from their high-end stuff to optik6 line and the glass is amazing for the money. and I would also say give Doug a call or at least visit the site and take a look.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:37 AM
Tscholten
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For the exact same reason as you listed MrMan, I did not want a "China Made" scope. I researched reviews including those on RFC and decided to go with Clearidge Ultra XP 6-20X40, Duplex Dot, which is made in Japan. Still not U.S. made, but the Japanese do have a long and solid history with quality optics. Plus, the Clearidge was within my budget (under $500). I use this scope for shooting from 50 feet out to 100 yards. it has a nice parallax adjustment to accommodate different ranges. I am very happy with the quality (build, tactile clicks, lens clarity). Give Clearidge a look. I am very happy with mine.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:54 PM
Rick67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscholten View Post
For the exact same reason as you listed MrMan, I did not want a "China Made" scope. I researched reviews including those on RFC and decided to go with Clearidge Ultra XP 6-20X40, Duplex Dot, which is made in Japan. Still not U.S. made, but the Japanese do have a long and solid history with quality optics. Plus, the Clearidge was within my budget (under $500). I use this scope for shooting from 50 feet out to 100 yards. it has a nice parallax adjustment to accommodate different ranges. I am very happy with the quality (build, tactile clicks, lens clarity). Give Clearidge a look. I am very happy with mine.

I have 2 silver Cleardige RM's myself.

Don't you have trouble with the Cleardge XP's dismal elevation?

I am looking at the same scope for one of my airguns.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:44 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMan2021 View Post
I know there are many recommended scopes on this site but I'm specifically looking for a scope for shooting paper with parallax from 25 yards to infinity on my Anschutz 22LR rifle. I typically shoot between 50 yards to 200 yards, may try to go further out.

I don't want anything made in China. I know there are several good scopes from good companies that are made in China but I'm trying to stay away from anything made in China. Made in the USA is my preference but anything not made in China is a good starting point. The original budget was sub $800 but being told sub $800 may still put me in the made In China scopes so willing to go sub 1K.

appreciate the recommendations,
I'd look for a Weaver T-24.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:14 AM
jqunac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sightron SII 36x42. Haven't had it to the range yet but I'm impressed with the eye box and brightness, 1/8th clicks not as definite as a Nightforce but adequate. Only downside is the cheap flip up lens covers so buy a scope coat type cover. All for $525 list mine says made in Japan but it is my understanding they are made in a Sightron facility in the Philippines. Lifetime transferable warranty.