Is the CZ 527 barrel free floated or not? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-20-2021, 04:54 PM
ohlongarm

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Is the CZ 527 barrel free floated or not?

Called CZ today, they said not free floated but pillar bedded only, what's up?
Old 07-20-2021, 05:22 PM
Squeezer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What has worked for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlongarm View Post
I can freely pass a dollar bill all the way to the chamber of my factory-stock CZ527 Varmint in .223 Remington S/N B464xxx.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:33 PM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlongarm View Post
CZ squirts a tiny bit of bedding compound in the recoil lug recess of the stock so the recoil lug is technically bedded although it's kinda halfazzed. They come with pillars but they aren't fixed or bedded in place so as soon as you remove the screws and bottom metal they fall right out.

As for the barrel, I've had a hand full of CZ 527's, all varmint models, and I've yet to have one where the barrel wasn't touching the stock, even if slight, somewhere. I'm a fan of full action bedding and pillars, particularly with wood stocks, so all of the CZ's I've had got the action fully bed and the barrel channel cleaned up so nothing was touching the barrel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2021, 05:48 PM
ohlongarm

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
THX, I will see how she shoots and if dissatisfied off to Kelblys for the works as you've stated.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:58 PM
roddy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I'm careful on re-assembly, my 527 Carbine will free-float. As it came out of the box, there were a couple points of contact along the left side of the barrel channel. It naturally wants to go that way on assembly (possibly from time in the box, laying on it's side).
Old 07-20-2021, 08:57 PM
leadchucker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Floated

Good day all: my 527 american in 17hh is floated all the way back to the chamber with a good amount of factory bedding goop in the recoil lug area. Its a very accurate rifle.

Z
Old 07-20-2021, 09:03 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadchucker View Post
Good day all: my 527 american in 17hh is floated all the way back to the chamber with a good amount of factory bedding goop in the recoil lug area. Its a very accurate rifle.
Ditto. My American in 204 Ruger was the same.
Old 07-20-2021, 09:43 PM
Mike_AK
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
If I'm careful on re-assembly, my 527 Carbine will free-float. As it came out of the box, there were a couple points of contact along the left side of the barrel channel. It naturally wants to go that way on assembly (possibly from time in the box, laying on it's side).
Bedding the lug will take care of that, and if it's a 7.62X39 will help prevent the stock from cracking.
Old 07-21-2021, 04:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Some 527's get a bit of bedding compound around the recoil lug some don't. They also have a reputation (which I agree with) for not centering the barrels in the barrel channels. Generally if the barrel is centered in the stock of an American or Varmint it would be free floating. Carbines, Lux's and the barrels with the fixed sights may or may not be. When discussing CZ rifles and someone says "always" it's a good idea to take what follows with a grain of salt.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:10 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Part, even largely, the problem with the barrels being off to one side more than the other is because the holes in the stock for the factory pillars is rather oversized and allows a fair amount of lateral movement when assembling the barreled action in to the stock.

If you loosen the action screws, hold the barrel as centered as you can while you're tightening the front action screw it'll generally center up pretty well. May not always work but it's worth a try if you have one that isn't centered.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:31 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
B23 has this right, but if the recoil lug on the action has been bedded to the stock your pretty much going to end up back where you were. You end up taking something with a sharp point and a tap hammer to chip out the factory bedding so you can re-center things.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:44 PM
roddy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_AK View Post
Bedding the lug will take care of that, and if it's a 7.62X39 will help prevent the stock from cracking.
Mine was glued in from factory. I use the word 'glued' because, well...there ain't much there. It's ok, though. If I push the barrel (down by the receiver) to the right as I tighten up the screws, it centers up nicely. That's what I meant by 'If I'm careful...'. Should have explained that in more detail.

The one I have is .223.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:54 AM
JDouglas

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I have a 527 American in 223. It had the glued in lug which appears to be plastic. I removed it and cleaned out the glue. I bedded it back in and made sure the barrel was centered nicely. The barrel is free floating and it does allow a couple pieces of paper to slide back to the receiver. I have thought about getting a Boyd’s stock but the rifle is shooting 1/4 MOA groups as is so I would hate to mess with that. 60 gr Sierra TMK with Varget is what she likes to eat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2021, 11:56 AM
Squeezer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What has worked for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
When reassembling my CZ527 Varmint B-series so that the barrel remains floated, here's what I do:

Hold stock upright
Lower barreled action into place. This helps seat the receiver to the rear.
Tighten rear bolt finger-tight
Tighten front bolt finger-tight
Ensure that the barrel is centered
Tighten rear bolt and then front bolt step-by-step using torque wrench
Old 07-30-2021, 02:33 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezer View Post
When reassembling my CZ527 Varmint B-series so that the barrel remains floated, here's what I do:

Hold stock upright
Lower barreled action into place. This helps seat the receiver to the rear.
Tighten rear bolt finger-tight
Tighten front bolt finger-tight
Ensure that the barrel is centered
Tighten rear bolt and then front bolt step-by-step using torque wrench
One thing you left out, make sure the bottom metal fits into its little groove on the underside of the action perfectly.