Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

School me on NAA Revolvers

3K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  SailDesign 
#1 ·
. . I am a bit mystified by the variety of offerings. It is obvious that the little revolvers are easiest to conceal. But what about easiest to shoot? I don't love the look of the fold-out grips. But they seem like they'd improve the pointability of these little revolvers.

So, if you have one of these wee beasties, I'd like to hear what works for you.'

-Which models are easiest to load and reload?
-Any strong opinions about the swappable .22 WMR cylinders?
-What is the practical usable accurate range of these, say in .22LR? 5 feet? 5 yards? 15 yards? More?
-Any fans of the larger models?
-Anyone actually use the cap-and-ball versions?
-Trigger handling problems? Lack of a trigger guard give any of you all pause?
-And what is the trigger pull like on these things?
-Is there a swing-out cylinder model or just the breakbarrel and disassemble-to-reload models?

I don't know anything about these little marvels, other than what anyone can see on Youtube. I am less interested in the theoretical deficiencies of .22LR as a self defense round than in the your real world experiences shooting these things.

Ready? Set. Go.

See less See more
#3 ·
-Which models are easiest to load and reload? my pug is easier to reload than my wasp. The swingout ones are even easier.
-Any strong opinions about the swappable .22 WMR cylinders? what do you mean? its a good idea to have the 22lr cylinder too..what if you cant find magnum ammo? cheaper to practice with 22lr also
-What is the practical usable accurate range of these, say in .22LR? 5 feet? 5 yards? 15 yards? More? lol, 10-15 feet for me...maybe 20 feet
-Any fans of the larger models? they look weird to me
-Anyone actually use the cap-and-ball versions? I havent
-Trigger handling problems? Lack of a trigger guard give any of you all pause? its single action so theres no concern, you can rest the hammer in between each round
-And what is the trigger pull like on these things? hmmm, never really put thought into that....it must be pretty good because i'd try to fix it if it werent.
-Is there a swing-out cylinder model or just the breakbarrel and disassemble-to-reload models? if you go to the NAA website you will see the swing out versions....I think the swing out mechanisn looks too square and clunky.

#4 ·
-Any strong opinions about the swappable .22 WMR cylinders? what do you mean? its a good idea to have the 22lr cylinder too..what if you cant find magnum ammo? cheaper to practice with 22lr also
Thanks for the responses Kfx. To be more clear about the question above: I thought .22 WMR was just a skosh larger than .22LR and that a barrel that did best for the magnum might be a bit big for the long rifle. You see a discussion about this regarding Ruger Single Sixes with swappable cylinders. That said, most Single Six owners (including myself) are pretty happy with that revolver. Just wondered if there was any discernible accuracy difference with the NAA's.

#6 · (Edited)
Howdy Flangster, fancy meeting you here :p

I've had several of these little jewels over the years but I'm down to two now. A folding handle 1-5/8" barrel convertible .22/.22WMR which is my daily carry and a convertible .22/.22WMR 4" barrel Earl which is more a conversation piece than anything.

So, focusing on the folding handle unit. For a fellow that doesn't go to sketchy parts of town, explore dark alleys, or hang out at bars into the wee hours of the morning it is perfect for me.

The folding handle may be ugly but the ergonomics are fantastic. Folded up with the hammer resting in a between cylinder notch it is 100% safe against drops and fumbles. It clips inside a front jeans pocket just like a medium size pocket knife and is so light I don't even notice it in carry. No interference getting in and out of cars, seatbelts, etc.

It's a 2 second deal to pull it out of the pocket, extend the handle, and cock it ready for action. You can extend it one handed with a flick of the wrist but it takes two hands to press the lock release and fold it back up. The handle gives much better 3 finger grip for aiming and shooting.

I go for the convertible models, .22WMR for carry, and .22LR for plinking. Loading is slow so hopefully if I ever have to use it I can wrap it up in 5 shots.

Practical range for me is around 5 yards. I can keep all the shots center mass fast firing at that range. I've heard guys say they can hit a paper plate at 50 yards but I'd have to see that to believe it.

Sometimes the rounds hit the target sideways in mine. I could send it back but I figure a tumbler would hurt an assailant just as bad as a straight shot so I haven't bothered.

I can't really speak to your other questions on other models other than to say the trigger is fine. Not too heavy, not too light, goes bang every time you pull it.

Get the folding handle job, you won't regret it!

Frank

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
The .22s is the only NAA that looks "right" to my eye, everything else looks out of proportion, albeit probably more practical. I can stay on paper with mine at 7 yards, but let's not discuss the target printed thereon! It takes a special/weird hold - at least for me - to be able to shoot the silly thing. But it sure is fun regardless!

Attachments

#8 ·
We have a 22LR version, 1 5/8?, put the oversize grip on, the tiny panels match the proportions and let it fit into a watch pocket but....too fumbly.
I carried it some, never had to use it (or even came close) but off the back deck rail in a two handed deliberate secure hold it shoots pretty much to poa out to 20'. If you can see the sights, hang on and pull the trigger all at the same time. I wish it was about 50% larger? Ive never tried the ugly Ruger LCR.....the NAA is 'gun jewelry' that is an actual firearm, the Ruger is a tool.
I stopped carrying the NAA when I got Ruger LCP in 380; fits into just a bit bigger space, holds and points better for SD and I have a lot more faith in the SD specific 380 ammo it is loaded with.
Still havent been able to talk myself into selling the silly little NAA....fw that is w.

#10 · (Edited)
I've had a pair of them since the mid '80's, and I absolutely love them. They are so easy to carry, no matter how you're dressed. Most of my life has been lived in and around D.C., a very anti gun place, so any gun carried had to be deep cover. Even in shorts and t-shirt, the mini revolver is easy to conceal.

These guns are not really accurate at much more than double arms length. They are basically a modern version of the old derringer. A close range get off me gun, or a stealth counter attack weapon. or solving a street mugging, car jacking or assault where the range is more likely measured in feet not yards, they work great. My butt has been saved a couple times just by having a gun right there on me and available. The gun in your pocket beats the gun back in your car or at home. They are small and light enough, that you can carry two of them easier than one larger gun. That ay you can have one in your pants pocket, and a second in a jacket pocket so even sitting in a car you will have one that you can lay hand on quick.

I wouldn't buy a mini without the two cylinders. Just too versatile to not have it. The black widow is a great gun and has real sights, as does the pug.

Now retired and living in Texas, I have a carry license for the first time in my life, and don't have to worry about deep concealment. Yet my NAA mini's are still my carry guns. I have a Ruger LCR, and a S&W J frame, yet the mii is just sooooo d--m easy to carry a couple of.

They are effective self protection for people who don't haunt sleazy alleys at night or hang out in the wrong part of town going nefarious deals with sketchy people. For a normal person picking up the dry cleaning, going to a medial appointment, getting the car washed, having a picnic with your wife in the park, walking the dog, bringing home a pizza, its fine protection. If you make a habit of pissing off the local drug lord, or the local chapter of the Hell's Angles, maybe you want a bit heavier armament.

The last time mine earned its ling, it stopped me from being car jacked at a deserted highway rest stop out by Ft. Hancock Texas just after dawn on Sunday morning Memorial Day weekend 2017. The two illegals decided they didn't want to be shot even by a small gun, and couldn't get out of the rest room fast enough.

These are small but very effective self defense tools.

Edit to add; on the small grips like my old .22LR ones form the '80's, I wrapped some rubber bands around the grip for both increase in diameter and grip. It makes a world of difference. Its from Jim Cirillo's book.

#14 ·
These guns are not really accurate at much more than double arms length.
You got that right. I've got the 1⅛" barreled .22LR version, and unless I use high-velocity ammo like Stingers or Mini-Mags the bullets will keyhole at 15 feet. It's literally useless at that range and beyond, but like you said when up close nobody is going to want to be shot in the face with it.

#11 ·
I had an NAA Mini Shadow Convertible, but the PVD finish started flaking off. I sent it back to NAA under warranty and they sent it out for refinishing (they don't do the PVD finish in-house) but it came back splotchy. They let me exchange it for an NAA Black Widow Convertible, which I love. It is so easy to put it in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster and shove it in your pocket for a quick trip to the grocery store. I liked the product and service so well I went out and purchased an NAA-32 Guardian also. Great company and great products.

Attachments

#13 ·
I have a Black Widow and the fold-up 1 5/8 barrel version. Very seldom carry either one for personal defense.

However, I have killed countless live-trap-caught mice and pack rats and also many snakes. Around the house in the warm months, I carry the fold-up loaded with Federal crimped shot shells along with another sidearm, either .22 LR or .38 Special. I live in the country and there are all kinds of critters here.

I wish NAA would produce something like the Black Widow that has a slightly larger frame and a real trigger and trigger guard.

#15 ·
I have always wanted one of these, being a former model maker and someone who has always had a fascination with tiny miniaturized stuff these tick every box.

However here in the UK they are illegal with the exception of the muzzle loading version.

They only imported a handful and I have not seen one on sale for many years,

One chap said he used to just load the caps and use air gun pellets for shooting around the house!.

The only thing I would want more than one of these is a Seacamp .32 they are so heart-poundingly cute

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.