Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Star Model F

5K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  carbineone 
#1 · (Edited)
Do not know alot about these..I have a nice little Llama Mini 1911 .22s made in Spain..But just bought this beautiful little Engraved Model F made in 1954.

If you own one of these Model Fs..Do you like it? Do they run good..Any preffered ammo? Any known quality problems? I will be shooting CCI in mine more likely..

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Heres the left side. I do have correct style repro grips coming in the mail for it..They are a few weeks out though... Nice to have both original mags with it too..

Some may not like these little engraved shiney pistols...But I kinda like it though..It was bought more as a investment/collectors item..But I will shoot it occasionally..They do bring pretty big bucks on auction when they come up rarely... So others must like em too..

I doubt this pistol was ever shot much...Thanks

#4 ·
That is a very nice looking ODD pistol, I like odd! Not to be rude but how much? PM if you want to but I'm sure others would also like to know what to expect as well. Did you find in auction or what is the best source to find?

I think the wood grips would fill my hands just right, getting correct grips is nice to make it factory, did it have a box or manual? What can you expect when looking for this, both mags, box, manual, grips?

:bthumb:

#5 ·
Thans

Here is a link to the only recent auction that sold on GB similiar to mine..Lets just say I paid well under 1/2 that for mine..Nothing is cheap right now as we know..Not even Jennings and Bryco .22s..LOL

I found mine from a fella on another forum.

The one in the GB auction had the correct style box but not correct for the Pistol by serial number..They did come with two mags as mine did..And a manual..Here is a box and manual on Ebay I am considering on buying but it is kinda pricey for a non matched box..
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/895297265
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Model...856791?hash=item2180be0217:g:438AAOSweR9f4S4W

#6 ·
I am like a little kid at Christmas, had to take it right away when it arrived.... I am very impressed with the function and accuracy..I fired 3 mags through it.

I shot CCI Standard Velocity plain lead, CCI Mini Mag Hollow Point, and CCI Blazer plain lead..All function beautifully. I will try some of my cheaper brands I have here to like Federal, Remington..But I confident it will eat those up also.

I am also very impressed with the build quality of the little Pistola..

I found a box for it also. It is on the way in the mail..Thanks

#7 ·
Midway had one set of Black grips on sale for 15.00..I thought for that price I would see what they look like..Not too bad, better than the homemade wood ones anyway..

This little Pistol may not be up to some peoples tastes..But I really like it..Dependable, very well made, accurate, and just plain fun to shoot..

#9 ·
Amazing find!!!:t:t:t
I've always liked Star pistols. A few years back someone wrote a book on the history of Star firearms. I think it was $125 for a hard cover. I passed unfortunately because I thought price was too high....silly me, last time I saw a copy it was 5x original price.:eek:

#11 ·
I have one Model F with I believe 7 inch barrel.
Shoots Aguila SE high velocity very well.
Will not cycle subs.
Got it out of a box of oldies at my LGS about three years back for R 700.00 SA Rand ( around 52 USD)
Its in excellent shape and quite accurate.
In almost 1k rounds had maybe had one or two feeding booboos.
Oh and did I mention that I got 6 mags in the deal?
It will take a lot to convince me to part with it. Its almost 10 years my senior at 63 and smoother than the day it left the factory Im sure.

#15 ·
First- if you haven't bought it, check for firing pin damage to breech face. If it has that, you need to realize that this may cause ignition problems. I know a guy...

Seriously though, I've had this area micro-laser welded on another pistol to fill that hole, but- shipping handguns requires overnight unless it is from a dealer. I shipped from a dealer, so it cost me around $150 to fix that one pistol. Not really worth it for a $250 pistol, unless you are in it for the long haul.

I saw a Model F Target with a LONG barrel on it on gunbroker RIGHT NOW, and it has this firing pin damage to the chamber face.

Keep in mind that there are a few generations of Star Model F pistols, and only the last one or two had a 'last shot hold open' function.

If yours has a round barrel, it doesn't have that function and you need to be sure your firing pin doesn't extend too far forward AND count your shots. If yours has a rectangular barrel, it may or may not have that function- see above.

If you don't do this, you run the risk of denting your chamber, or mushrooming your firing pin.

The LSHO is one of two elements to be aware of for magazines as well. The other is that some models used a flat mag baseplate that covered the entire magwell, while others have a tongued flush-mount baseplate where the mag fits flush with the inside off the mag well [think GI 1911?]

You need to know this before buying magazines.

Also, I don't think the F Target had a sight system that allowed vertical adjustment. My F Model 4" doesn't have that, and the pics I find of Targets don't either.

Before you break out files, test multiple loads at various distances.

I tend to shoot at 7-10 yards the most. I thought this pistol would be designed for SV speed loads, but it was more accurate with HV 40g loads- like MiniMag.

With those, I am about on target at my distance.

I would hate to have you file on the front sight before figuring out if it was zeroed with a set load, and for what.

You might try on the gunboards, where they have a spanish pistol sub, sub forum. A lot of very knowledgeable people hang out there.

#16 ·
Great info, bczrx! Kudos!

It's a round barrel, flush magazine version.
I'll try to obtain the breech picture from the seller.
I have access to an in-house welder who can micro-tig virtually anything. He did a fabulous job restoring the worn receiver of a junker Win model 1912 that I got for close to nothing, so breech damage may not be such a big deal.
The firing pin looks like it can be made on a lathe, out of a drill bit shank, so if mushroomed, it may not be such a big deal either.
The price is close to $300, so I am a bit hesitant, until I see the pix.

Thanks again!

#17 ·
Hello Tokarev,

That is about what I paid for mine- which is round barreled also, but I'd have to pull it out to see which mag bottoms it has. I think mine is the baseplate that covers the entire bottom of the magwell, but I'd have to hold it to see.

If you have the skills, making a replacement firing pin isn't that difficult. I just don't have a lathe to do it perfectly symmetrical, and I've never tempered steel before- so the whole 'heat until cherry red, but not pink. Quench in an oil that doesn't add hydrocarbons, repeat' process is something that frankly intimidates me a bit.

On the gunboards, in the spanish pistols subforum, there is a guy who actually will make replacement pins, but I think his charges were somewhere between $70 and $100 for the pin.

I was lucky in that my pin was fine, and I had no overtravel on it that leads to chamber mouth damage. I had to repair the chamber mouth on a High Standard HD Military, which is where my experience with microwelding companies fits.

I had fun with my Star F, but mine is definitely in the 'plinker' category. Although, I haven't given it the same attention to tuning the action as I have most of my other handguns. Maybe I'm being unfair about the trigger potential.

Yet, the lack of adjustable sights makes it more a 'plinker' than precision gun in my eyes. Find the right load and then use 'kentucky windage' for changes in distance, load, or wind. But, no up/down/left/right fine tune ability with screwdriver. left/right with hammer: ;)

That said, this is the same for many good firearms: S&W Model 10 revolver, for example- or the original 1911. Heck, even the classic Beretta 92 has fixed front sight and only a drift adjustable rear.

They are fun- but, go in eyes wide open.

Maybe take a look to see how easy it is for you to find the right magazines at reasonable costs. I know 3K makes aftermarket, and believe they are normally around $45. Yet, they are 3K.

I am glad 3K exists! I couldn't get mags for some of my pistols otherwise. It is just that their mags are not as uniformly reliable as factory mags are. Some are great and some are so-so.

We are all just lucky to have a company that makes mags for these pistols, when MecGar won't touch them and the company is out of business.

For example, Femaru M37 magazines. 3K cost around $45 each. Originals cost between $75 [for really ratty/rusty ones] up to $200 for great shape- per mag.

If you want to buy 4 mags, and that adds $400-800 to the cost, 3K is looking pretty good!!!:D

#19 ·
The chamber looks ok. I see a mark or two, but not where the firing pin aligns. In other words, nothing that seems critical.

On breech end, I really can't see the metal that well.

The picture's resolution isn't great and the breech shows debris from normal use.

On a .22, I really wouldn't expect true breech face damage to occur, unlike a BHP .40 I bought used to find 2 hairline cracks in the breech face once I cleaned it. [btw, I've bought quite a few used guns in my life and that was the only one that surprised me.]

IF the price is something you are comfortable with AND you like the pistol- I see no mechanical reasons to worry from these two pictures.

Just be sure to track down some of the proper magazines for it, clean it and you should be in good shape! :bthumb:

Just count rounds to stop after you've fired all 10 in the magazine.

Also, as with all rimfire, it is good to inspect the firing pin periodically [500-1000 rounds on these older ones?] to be sure that the tip is in good shape and that the firing pin stop pin hasn't deformed, allowing the firing pin to stick past the face of the slide.

If you don't know what I am talking about, I am sure there are threads throughout the forum about checking for firing pin protrusion/length. However, you can also PM me once you have the pistol and I will walk you through how to check on that one.

#24 · (Edited)
I have a Star Model F-Sport made in 1958 that I found at a gunshow a few years ago. I was able to find a spare and correct magazine on ebay, they do show up occasionally. There are differences in floorplate design depending upon their manufacturing period. The front sight is elevation adjustable. See photo below. There is considerable information on them in Antaris' book. I own several Star pistols so the book was a good investment when it was new and around $100. I think it is up to $150 now but still good to have and may pay for itself if you find a gun that is misidentified and under valued by a seller.

I'm careful not to dry fire it, in fact Star pistols in general are not good to dry fire, rimfire or centerfire.

Attachments

#25 ·
Have you used this to adjust the sight height? I ask as I always thought that was just used for replacing blades, and the blade height change is what made it adjustable.

I wish my basic Model F had an adjustable front sight.

I remember that I assumed it would be best for SV ammo, but the POI was a bit off from POA.

I went to HV ammo and the POI and POA lined up at my distances.

An adjustable sight would let me drift back/forth between them.

#27 ·
That is a very clean example Walter..Very nice.

Here is another French Contract Spanish Pistol that was given to me by a friend recently..This is a AK made one..From what I understand they made the very best Rubys for the French Army..It has a broken firing pin..I ordered one from a Colt 1903..It is a two piece pin..Colt one works great..Did take a little small fitting to get it to work..All just machining length adjustment of both halves..

This is a seldom found Long Barrel French contract Pistol..All numbers do match so it went out the door that way..I have actually never seen another long barrel one..But have read they do obviously exist..

#30 · (Edited)
Those are so cool! What a great score!

The Star FM has been at the top of my "want" list for several years now. One of these days I'll make it happen. I especially love the honey/wheat case colored controls.

Couple of Spanish Astra 300, 200, and a German Zehna type III. No import marks or waffen stamps.

#31 ·
I put some tea waste on the Elk grips to give them a more aged look..It worked pretty well..They are no bright white anymore..

I also got a Vintage Hunter Holster in the mail today..It is brand new in the box and made specifically for the Star F, fits really nice..Kinda amazing the guy had the holster actually, let alone NITB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.