Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

My new MAB Pistolet Automatique! Tres bien!

3K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  NHcollector2 
#1 ·
I just picked this up from a friend of a friend liquidating a gun collection. I was looking for a Model 19 revolver but this little gem turned up. It has the coolest front sight I have ever seen. You can lift the front blade with your thumbnail and there is a notched wheel beneath it that you spin to adjust the height! Very ingenious! It looks unfired and has the target grips and long barrel.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Andyd, I am sure there is probably some connection with Star. I bought this pistol precisely because it is manufactured in Bayonne on the French side of the Basque country where some of my family is from. Star was in Eibar on the Spanish side which is very close to Bayonne. I own several Stars and I must say the fit and finish of the MAB is much higher. The takedown on the MAB is quite different from any other pistol I know. There is a sliding latch on the back of the slide with two holes that requires a special tool to activate. Here are some more pics

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
According to a several sites I found on the internet, this version was probably made in the 1950s. There are no import marks on the gun that I can find. The receipt in the box was when the seller bought the pistol at a pawn shop in 2001. Here is a good website that notes that production of the model (R-22) ended in 1965.

https://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/MABR/mabr.html

#7 ·
Here are some photos of a Star I, basically a Star F in .32ACP. I find the Stars to be very well made.

GladesGuy,
Unique pistols should be interesting for you as well, then. I find the DES69 to be a great match pistol. It is still enjoying a loyal following in Europe as a pistol that works without a glitch. It looks unconventional but balances surprisingly well, much like the East German Ziegenhahn Pistole.

#15 ·
...Unique pistols should be interesting for you as well, then. I find the DES69 to be a great match pistol. It is still enjoying a loyal following in Europe as a pistol that works without a glitch. It looks unconventional but balances surprisingly well, much like the East German Ziegenhahn Pistole...
The Unique DES 69 pistols are very well made, comfortable, reliable, accurate, and of course have superb adjustable-just-about-every-which-way triggers. I'm so fond of them that I own two:

...and recently received a set of grips from Rink-Formgriffe for one of them; perfection!

:)

#8 ·
Very nice pistols Andyd! I am familiar with the Unique brand but I didn't know they made target pistols. I had an uncle that carried a small Ruby pistol. I wish I had your photographic skills!

I took the Model R to the range yesterday to see how or if she shot. Took some Blazer, Aquila HV, Mini Mags and white box 36 grain HV Federals to see if it had a preference for any one of those. First off, I have to say that the trigger is VERY nice! Short crisp one stage trigger that breaks at about 2 pounds. My impression is that it likes the heavier 40 grain bullets but no real scientific data just my observation. Off hand at 15 yards it shot mostly 2 inch groups off hand. The front sight was spot on at that distance but the rear sight needs to be drifted a touch to the right. I noticed the rear sight has a TINY screw locking it down. You can load 10 rounds in the magazine but it will only seat properly on the pistol with 9 rounds. I had some light strikes which ignited when I reloaded the rounds a second time. The pistol is well balanced and easy to keep on target for follow up shots. It is a shame it has no last shot hold open feature, but easy enough to count my shots. Overall, I am very pleased with this purchase and would not hesitate to pick up another one if it ever appears!

#10 ·
Hard to believe a target pistol will not hold open so .... I also have a Unique sports pistol but as a newbie I am not allowed to post pics. yet .... I do remember one time I took the magazine apart and got the pin to the wrong side ... it resulted in pistol not holding open at last shot ... GladesGuy just to keep your mind at ease I am not stalking you ;)

#16 ·
Target and field shooting

Very nice pistols and grips are sciences in itself ....

I take off my weight in the front when we are going Field shooting where you have rapid fire .... easier for me to handle ... and at the range for precise target shooting I used the weight in the front as it's one shoot at the time ... maybe you can show us pics. without the weight?

#20 ·
Very nice pistols and grips are sciences in itself ....

I take off my weight in the front when we are going Field shooting where you have rapid fire .... easier for me to handle ... and at the range for precise target shooting I used the weight in the front as it's one shoot at the time ... maybe you can show us pics. without the weight?
Why certainly!

No. 01 wearing new Rink grips and with its medium weight removed:

Medium weight:

No. 02 Beeman Inc. import with its heavy weight removed:

Heavy weight:

:)

#21 ·
Rink grips are not cheap but are excellent grips. It is a good alternative to Nills, especially since they offer grips for many older guns.
I recently ordered and received a set of Rink grips for the DES 69 shown below, which were $199+ shipping, with 2 weeks to make and another 2 weeks to ship/get through US Customs. They're works of art and are well worth the price paid:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.