Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Picked up a NAA Pug today

7K views 63 replies 19 participants last post by  toivo 
#1 ·
Hand Fluid Gesture Finger Nail

After mulling over the idea of the best lazy person frequent carry gun, I decided the Pug was the best fit for me.
Also I want it to be so subtle that my 7yo daughter won't wonder why I have a gun with me while doing family activities. I think the Pug will go unnoticed. She knows guns can kill, and they protect you when bad people want to hurt you. I dont want her or my 2yo son to think they may be in danger because I chose to have a gun on my person. This was my justification for this purchase. Plus I am constantly looking for reasons to buy another gun.
So I am looking for feedback from NAA firearms users, especially Pug owners.
Its a 22 mag. I am curious about ammo opinions, and pocket holsters or whatever y'all use and reccomend. I can do my own research, and have already to a point, but firsthand experience from folks goes a lot further than a retailers suggestion or companies opinions.
Thanks!

Ps. Sorry about the upside down pic!

See less See more
#6 ·
My FFL guy actually had that set up clipped to his pocket when I picked up my Pug.
Considering that he is a gun dealer, and seeing that the NAA with the pocket clip grip reassures that my choice is probably spot on, and I may go that route.
Thanks for your input!
I am certain I will enjoy this new mighty mouse revolver.

#5 ·
It’s a slippery slope! I carried my 22LR for years and was looking for a PUG to carry. I found a BUG with both cylinders so I grabbed that. I carry it in my watch pocket of my jeans as a backup gun, loaded with 22 Mag Critical Defense loads. I then came across the Sheriff and I plink with that almost every time I hit the range.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
It's a slippery slope! I carried my 22LR for years and was looking for a PUG to carry. I found a BUG with both cylinders so I grabbed that. I carry it in my watch pocket of my jeans as a backup gun, loaded with 22 Mag Critical Defense loads. I then came across the Sheriff and I plink with that almost every time I hit the range.
I can already see how someone could have a bunch of fun with these cool little guns, and I expect Ill buy another or others in the future.
I looked for the bugout, but couldn't find one. The Pug was also a first pic. Kygunco had one so I couldn't walk away from it especially with the shortages these day. If you want it, and see it, you better buy it!
I may buy a lr cylinder before I get my next naa. I imagine shooting CBs by the campfire will be a big draw for me, and saving money is always nice.
Thanks for your input!

#12 · (Edited)
I've been using the DeSantis leather pocket holster that NAA has on their web site. It carries VERY well. keeps its place in the pocket, and holds a spare five rounds of ammo. The second mini is in a IWB holster just to the right of the belt buckle. Easy to get to with either hand that way, or sitting down. I've carried this way for 30 plus years.

For really great holsters for belt use, Desert Gun Leather on the NAA forum is very very good stuff and he's a NAA mini fan himself.

As far as loads, I used CCI stingers mostly, with a CCI snake shot in the first up chamber. I hate snakes, and a face full of snake shot at almost contact range is distracting as hell. Gives more time for careful 2d, 3d, 4th, and 5th shots.

#13 ·
Carried the pug over the weekend after a basic function test.
Just used the watch pocket in my jeans so far. Haven't had time to buy anything yet for a holster. Its a pleasure to carry though!
Took this pic while walking along the river. Found a pecan on the bank, and constructed a picture that describes me very well. Wood Gun accessory Gas Landscape Metal

#15 ·
If your going to pocket carry, be VERY careful of one fatal flaw; every morning, take a close look at the space in back of the trigger and around the hammer/frame. Make sure no lint is getting in there, and use a clean toothbrush every day to 'dust off' the pocket lint that can infiltrate into the gun and foul up the workings. Take out the cylinder and brush off any lint that gathered around the opening to the cylinder hand or cylinder bolt stop.

For pocket carry guns I do an action test every morning. Literally every morning.

#20 ·
Gonna try this Maxpedition "Phone Pup" first. It gets my phone, wallet, and Pug out of my pockets. Im not a pouch kinda guy, but I am willing to try this out. Room for car keys too. View attachment 238817 View attachment 238819
Check out franklinwendy on Etsy. I carry my NAA in one of her pocket holsters and its great, hight quality leather, even has a little pocket for spare ammo, and is much cheaper than similar holsters.

#23 ·
I have a Ranger ll tip-up 22mag with a leather belt holster that NAA advertised for "I think" the Pug 22mag.
I usually carry it on my belt but it'll fit in any pocket. Even a shirt pocket.
At 20 feet I can keep most shots in the heart area.

#31 ·
I was able to put a few rounds through my pug at the range last weekend. Its a tricky little handgun. Using the sights i was shooting high and left mostly, but got a few in center. Its all me, and the trigger pull im sure. I did better with just point and shoot. I need more practice to figure out my technique. Not much to hold on to, but I believe it will get the job done for me with a 10 foot or less encounter. I had a great time shooting it!

#32 · (Edited)
My regular practice range is about double arms length and it point and shoot. I have a regular mini, and the front sight is painted with the white touch up that they made for appliances and tubs, so it sticks to metal really well. I use the white front sight like a shotgun bead to point at the center of mass and shoot. I figure the gun is really like the old time derringers, a close range almost contact range gun. A hell of a "get the hell off me" kind of statement. The one time I ever had to really shoot someone, the range was like three feet.

#36 · (Edited)
My childhood was noit that great, my adolescence was a good deal worse. Mom was a young single mother with a kid, and it was a full time job trying to keep a roof over our heads. We lived in an apartment building that was of mixed nationalities and ethnic immigrants, and my playmates and later co-conspirators of life were the whole spectrum from Russians, Irish, German, Italian, and a Romani family. The one thing uniting us was we were all dirt poor and trying to survive any way we could. Crime was one way to get both food or rent money.

Very often I was in a part of town I should not have been in, dong something I should not have been doing, with people that I should not have been with. Sometimes there was violence. The guns we had were. by purpose small and very concealable, and cheap, so if need be, we could toss it in the river and no pain. That was the understanding with the neighborhood gun guy; if we had to use it, it went in the river and if caught with it, we got from some guy we didn't know outside a bar.

One night at a bar called Gaffney's, four of us were sitting and having a pitcher. The table was end on to the wall where that was a window. We're all arguing over something, like will the redskins take the cowboys this weekend, when these two guys have a fight outside the window. This is right on the corner of 14th street and Colorado ave. Not a good part of town, but hey, we lived there. One of the two guys pushed the other, and then a punch, and then one guy pulls a strait razor. This was common in 1970 in that part of D.C. BUT... the other guy, on seeing the guy go for his pocket, also went for his pocket. The strait razor guy has his out and the second guy comes up with a RG .22 revolver. The RG's were common on the streets as was the little Italian Galesi .25 autos and such. It was a bad night for the razor guy. Theres the unmistakable pop, pop, pop, of the .22, and razor guy stumbles backwards, falls to the sidewalk clutching his chest, and coughing up bright red foam. Thrashes around a bit and goes unconscious.

Circus takes place with cops showing, ambulance, flashing lights all over, rubberneckers. All this is happening right outside the bar window with all of us on that side of the bar looking. EMT's put the shot razor guy on a gurney with the sheet up over his face. DOA. Cops ask everyone in the bar who did it and they all ge the same answer; some black guy in a black leather coat. Hey, its 14th street in D.C. Its kind if like "Its China town, Jake".

But the takeaway is, in a violent teenage gang life in a major eastern city, I saw shootings with .22's as well as with little .25acps. I never saw ANYONE, hit in the center of mass with either of them up and doing the Walter Houston Jig after. In 1989, we lost a friend that got killed in a mugging, shot and dead on the scene by a little teenage crackhead with a Raven .25. And Al was a genuine bad %%%%% and a competitor in full contact karate tournaments. He tried one of his Chuck Norris moves ans it didn't work, but the kid with the Raven shot him one time at arms length, and Al dropped to his knees, muttered "Oh S--t" and fell face down dead in the Metro parking garage. This in front of witnesses who got off the elevator with him to find the ghetto kid waiting for them to rob them. And he's been dead ever since.

Contrary to the garbage in the gun magazines, written by people who mostly never fired a shot in anger in their life, you don't need a 17 round Glock, two spare mags, just to go down the street for a pack of smokes. IN fact, at the very close range most robberies/car jackings/sexual assaults/whatever takes place, a little pocket gun you know well will do well. Mostly a little more than arms length. Thats all. A few shots in a few seconds at 4 to 6 feet, and its all over.

#37 ·
Jackknife.

You could probably write a book about your youth. You tell your story well.
Its unfortunate that you were placed there unwillingly due to circumstances beyond your control. Its a way of life too many young folks are stuck with, and never find their way out.
I think you would sell a few copies. Its D.C in a different light. Most people's minds look past the realities of city life, and how it isn't always glamorous like most may assume. There's a thousand movies out there with scenes that are similar to your experiences but generally its all fictional.
Thanks again for sharing.

#38 · (Edited)
Jackknife.

You could probably write a book about your youth. You tell your story well.
Its unfortunate that you were placed there unwillingly due to circumstances beyond your control. Its a way of life too many young folks are stuck with, and never find their way out.
I think you would sell a few copies. Its D.C in a different light. Most people's minds look past the realities of city life, and how it isn't always glamorous like most may assume. There's a thousand movies out there with scenes that are similar to your experiences but generally its all fictional.
Thanks again for sharing.
I just thank God that I got out of there. My Uncle Sony came up from Florida where he was retired from the Air Force plane mechanic, and bounced me off a few walls and gave me a choice, enlist in one of the armed series or he's gonna straiten me out his way. I chose the army and there found new mentors, to include one Sgt. First Class E7 type Mouton. I don't know what Sgt. Mouton saw in me, but he put a boot in my butt, literally, and I ended up using him as an example. Went strait, never committed another crime, with the exception of carrying a gun illegally which saved my life on two other occasions. Got married to the girl who is still the North Star of my life, raised three kids, three grandkids with another on the way, and retired to Texas.

I never ever ever thought I'd end up living a decent good life with a nice job, family, good 401, or even live past my twenties. Some of my childhood friends ended up in prison or dead. I own my life to Sgt. Mouton and his example he set for me, not always with my willing help. Once out of the old neighborhood, I never looked back.

But I do believe in always, ALWAYS, being armed. The world in NOT Mr. Rogers neighborhood or a Walt Disney theme park. I believe in the 2d amendment to be ready to defend you and your loved ones at any time in any place. If I can only take one thing away from my early life in a slum is this, people are not to be trusted. there are those who are vicious, unfeeling animals on two feet that will kill you for what is in your pockets. BUT...they are for the most part also cowards. They the predators do not want a fight, least of all get shot. They will, 99.9999% of the time run from an armed would be victims. Have a gun. Any gun will do as long as it goes bang and you know it well enough to hit what you aim at at fairly close range. That is the message I wish I could get out. For people to just have a gun that they can carry ALL the time, practice with it now and then, and be mentally ready to really use it. It doesn't have to be some tactical 9mm or big .40, just something small and reliable that you are very familiar with and are ready to use without blinking.

In a way, I'm glad I had the early years that I did, as it made me VERY cynical and it seems that it may have made me immune to the sheer bull hockey put out by the gun magazine self inflated gun guru's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.