Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Glock 44

34K views 192 replies 77 participants last post by  12Bravo 
#1 ·
See Glock is comming out with a full size .22.About same size as a g19.This will be all Glock.Not that gsg crap.Trying to find a price.

#115 ·
:yeahthat:

A lot of posts like this from folks who actually own a G44 compared to 3 YouTube videos with questionable motive. One guy who is sponsored by Ruger, one lardbutt intentionally limpwristing, and the last one who disassembled his slide and reinstalled the extractor plunger backwards.

#117 ·
I have just over 600 rounds through my Glock 44. No complaints at all. Subsonic ammo that runs in the 970fps and below does not cycle well, but that's not a surprise. It just does not generate enough recoil energy to run the action.
Standard velocity, high and hyper velocity runs the action like a Rolex. I even ran a variety of mixed ammo in the magazines without a hiccup. It also feeds truncated cone ammo.
I like that it fits in any Glock 19 holster I own (and I own 8) I also like that it is so light weight. It is a TON of fun shooting at steel targets. I am glad I bought it, and have no complaints other than Glock teased me for 3 years before they released it.

#120 ·
Good morning everyone

Here is my experiences with my Glock 44. The first time out to the range with not cleaning it. I had a few stove pipes loading the first round. I also had a few failure to eject with some Winchester bulk ammo. Not a lot but more than I wanted.

After doing some reading on the Internet about how to tip the magazine upside down and shake it and pulling back on the spring. I no longer have the problem with the first round stove piping.
The second third and fourth time out to the range my Glock 44 functioned almost flawlessly. Probably approximately 800 rounds and only a few failure to feed. Even on the bulk ammo. With the CCI Mini mags no malfunctions at all. I am very happy with the gun so far.

Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#121 ·
G44
@100 Red box 36, not 38, grain 2 stovepipes
100 CCI SV perfect
100 CCI Minimag

I find that placing the round portion of the base of the mag on the index metacarpophalangeal joint, knuckle, of my palm and depressing the two oval tabs on the spring of the magazine with my left thumb and index finger helps me to load it more easily with the bullet elevated. If the bullet is pointed below the slope on the little tab at the front of the top of the magazine, I just slap the front of the magazine against my palm and that usually takes care of it.

I have several times not placed the magazine all the way into the grip. It fails to load the first round. If there is a gap of more than 1/8 inch, I gently slap the base of the magazine to click it into the pistol.

For me, a smooth complete pull of the trigger to the rear of the trigger guard works best for shooting quickly and somewhat accurately. This seems to fire the pistol without changing the point of direction, flinching?. I am beginning to work on reset control.

22 Plinkster had difficulties with bulk pack Federal 36 grain. I am finding that less reliable as well, about 2 per 100. I don't know if they are underpowered rounds, dirty powder, or both. After the first day, and cleaning the pistol, the CCI's have functioned perfectly, both SV and Minimag. I also had difficulty with Aguila Rifle Match Competition that I shot because I had picked it up by mistake and didn't want to walk back to the house to change. It had many stovepipes. About 1-2 per magazine.

My point of aim requires the front dot to cover the target at 3-7 yards, and shoot slightly above at about 15 yards.

#124 ·
I read the Glock 44 is a blow back action which appears to be the situation after looking at videos and still pictures. The centerfire Glock pistols use a tilting barrel design which locks up at the juncture of the slide and top of the barrel. Since the rimfire barrel does not tilt to achieve lockup and is held more horizontal a thinner barrel was utilized mounted lower in the slide.

The appearance of the Glock 44 is different in regards to centerfire Glocks or Advantage Arms conversions. With Glock choosing to use a hybrid slide of steel and polymer the barrel placement compromises appearance. By using the hybrid designed slide Glock could continue to use the same basic slide design with fixed ejector, striker, extractor, drop safety/striker safety and captured recoil spring assembly.

A compromise to reduce weight with the AA conversion kit is to use a aluminum slide and sliding ejector. Glock tried to keep the Glock 44 design as similar as possible to a Gen 5 19. Time will tell whether the design goals have produced a product which is reliable and successful in the crowded 22 pistol market.

#125 ·
I read the Glock 44 is a blow back action which appears to be the situation after looking at videos and still pictures. The centerfire Glock pistols use a tilting barrel design which locks up at the juncture of the slide and top of the barrel. Since the rimfire barrel does not tilt to achieve lockup and is held more horizontal a thinner barrel was utilized mounted lower in the slide.
Although correct that the G44 barrel does not tilt, that is not the reason for the thinner, lower barrel. The barrel was dropped so the striker would hit the cartridge rim instead of a centerfire primer and so that the feed ramp would be positioned correctly without being overly long and shallow. Clearing the barrel hood was simply a matter of making it flat instead of a wedge and machining it a bit lower.

#126 ·
Quick trip

Went up to the club to do a cleanup of the range and took the pistol with me. Ran 2 mags of SK magazine with 2 stove pipes each mag. That ammo seems anemic to say the least.
Then went back to CCI Blazer 40 gr. No Malfunctions and set my sights @ 10 yds POA from a rest.
2 mags of SK HV 40 gr solid with no malfunctions.

#127 ·
First Range Session Glock 44

Got the 44 home from my LGS and gave it a detail strip and clean including the striker channel. Lubed with 8 drops of oil pre instructions and off to the range.
15 different boxes of 22lr. CCI Clean 22 was a no go, would not cycle. Thunderbolts all fired but 9 stove pipes.
In all 700 rounds fired 50 of each pictured.. 6 FTF all fired when reloaded. 10 Stovepipes, 9 with Thunderbolts, 1 with Browning. 4 Failure to lock back in the last 300 rounds. I think a cleaning will cure that.
Very happy with mine. Any questions on ammo please ask.

Attachments

#128 ·
Nice

Good review and first post. I really like mine so far but do think it likes HV ammo the best. Maybe just needs some breaking in.
After going on the SK ammo web page and looking at the Vel stated for there ammo I can see why I may have had issues with reliability in this pistol.
Did you do any sight adjustment ? I set mine @ 10 yds with CCI Blazer the other day.

#129 ·
Good review and first post. I really like mine so far but do think it likes HV ammo the best. Maybe just needs some breaking in.
After going on the SK ammo web page and looking at the Vel stated for there ammo I can see why I may have had issues with reliability in this pistol.
Did you do any sight adjustment ? I set mine @ 10 yds with CCI Blazer the other day.
Mine eats Mini-Mags without hiccups. Remington Golden Bullets also. I've got a bunch of Thunderbolts and Wildcats also, but I'm not even going to try them in the G44. Those are for the kids 452 Scout.

#133 ·
My G44 has 3500 rounds of all mixed standard velocity and high velocity, it will not cycle sub-sonics, big surprise. The more I shoot it, the more I want to continue shooting it. It had a few light-strikes on federal bulk ammo and winchester bulk ammo, but never on Aguila or remington.

I have the TX22 as well, and after 2000 rounds the roll pin's are walking out of the slide and frame. I have had excellent reliability with the TX, but not a fan of the two piece breech face / slide design they have going on. I feel the Glock will out-live the TX-22, but have no data to prove that, the glock just feels better fit and finish. Keep shooting y'all!

#134 ·
Put a Ameriglo Fiber Optic front on the 44 and headed to the range for sighting. 450 rounds today. One FTF within the first 5 then flawless the rest of the way.
On the target the lower left are the first 4 (1 FTF) including a double hole. Adjusted elev. to high and the 2nd 5 include another double. Within 20 shots everything was in the 1 zone(wish I could do that freestyle). This was 10 yards from a bench rest.
I have read folks have problems after installing heavier sights, the Ameriglo front caused no problem.
Used Federal 38gr HP to sight in.

Attachments

#139 · (Edited)
yesterday

Took mine out yesterday and ran another 200 rounds out of it. Tried some win 40 hp sub sonic for the last magazine. Only ammo that gave me an issue out of 3 different ones. Not surprising though as weak as the subs are. My best groups from the bench with a rest was with fed HV GMM. But for general use I'll stick with CCI blazer.

#141 · (Edited)
Guess I will add my Glock 44 results to the thread. After finally receiving mine after a long wait I cleaned it thoroughly, including taking apart the slide and cleaning the chamber well as it looked a bit unclean., then lubed it up. I was anxious to get it out and managed to get out just before dark to a local gravel pit and I was able to put 220 rounds through it. 50 rounds of CCI Velocitor, 50 rounds of Stinger, 50 rounds of some cheap Remington stuff and 70 rounds of 36 grain CCI Mini Mags.

The gun failed to misfire in any way on every single round fired. The Remington stuff had a random weak round placed throughout the magazines and even they cycled properly. Loaded the magazines as the directions say to but didn't spend a lot of time agonizing over the loading process. Worked great and was far more reliable than most of the .22LR items I own.

Tons o fun to shoot and didn't want to stop but darkness arrived and made continuing difficult.

#142 · (Edited by Moderator)
Guess I will add my Glock 44 results to the thread. After finally receiving mine after a long wait I cleaned it thoroughly, including taking apart the slide and cleaning the chamber well as it looked a bit unclean., then lubed it up. I was anxious to get it out and managed to get out just before dark to a local gravel pit and I was able to put 220 rounds through it. 50 rounds of CCI Velocitor, 50 rounds of Stinger, 50 rounds of some cheap Remington stuff and 70 rounds of 36 grain CCI Mini Mags.

The gun failed to misfire in any way on every single round fired. The Remington stuff had a random weak round placed throughout the magazines and even they cycled properly. Loaded the magazines as the directions say to but didn't spend a lot of time agonizing over the loading process. Worked great and was far more reliable than most of the .22LR items I own.

Tons o fun to shoot and didn't want to stop but darkness arrived and made continuing difficult.
Sorry you had such a boring and uneventful range session. If you are craving drama, you can always watch 22Plinkster's video on YouTube.

#145 ·
I’m at around 400 rounds through my G44. Blazer, super x power points and even M22s. Only problem I’ve had (twice) is the first round not chambering. First time it stood straight up and the second time it jammed into the top front of magazine. I’ve watched several first rounds that were at a bad angle go ahead and chamber so I’ve been trying to make it malfunction. If the round is sitting up then my gun is 100% reliable. I watched Hickok45 shooting a ruger sr and he was tapping the mags on the table as he loaded. This is not a big deal to me. What is a big deal is the speed that I can empty a magazine. This gun will run. I’ve owned rugers brownings walther and the g44 blows them away on speed. Does speed matter? I personally love it! Love the G44. Yes I have several more Glocks so this is good cheap trigger time for me. Making a handgun malfunction on video is easy to do, just let your off hand thumb ride the slide and it’ll cause all kinds of problems. The g44 mag isn’t what it ought to be but only on chambering the first round and if you pay attention while loading then it’s not a big problem but I understand that some people want perfection.

#146 ·
Mine

I've put about 400 through mine all together and only problems I've had so far has been with subsonic ammo that I've tried. Have't had a failure to load the first round as of yet. Runs with CCI blazer like a champ and have used several others without a problem.
Yep I did a magazine dump with it and was impressive on how fast it will empty out.
2 more extra mags on the way so a speed steel match is in the works.
The only thing for me is getting use to the light weight of the gun for control and staying on target while on my back legs. :bthumb:

#148 ·
I am a big fan of 22plinkster and like to watch his videos, but apparently some are not and did not like his review which I understand. So, here is another not so good review by another gun guy I like who watch who is a great shooter and does great unbiased reviews. Take a look:

#150 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yep. It will do that if you don't read the instructions and load the magazines incorrectly. Seems like the guys having problems are the guys with YouTube channels... :rolleyes: Funny how you never see Plinkster posting videos about Ruger MK pistol failures to feed, but the discussion boards are full of posts regarding magazine problems. There are even business that specialize in MK magazine fixes.

#149 ·
People need to keep in mind these are trainers and not defense pistols. Add to that the inconsistencies of popular .22 ammo, and there can be issues - with all of them.

Some amount of issues are to be expected. These aren't $600 pistols.

With some testing, and sometimes some simple mods, you can usually eliminate most of the issues.

If you have, or like, Glocks the G44 would be a good addition as a trainer/plinker.

#152 ·
So today I noticed by mistake that my Glock 44 actually has started shooting the lighter 36 grain ammo ok.

When I first got it that stuff didn't seem to work as well so we've just been feeding it a steady diet of Mini Mags and Golden Bullets. Perhaps the 12 or 1300 rounds have broken things in enough that it will work? I'm not complaining.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.