Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Glock 44

34K views 192 replies 77 participants last post by  12Bravo 
#1 ·
See Glock is comming out with a full size .22.About same size as a g19.This will be all Glock.Not that gsg crap.Trying to find a price.

#70 ·
satisfied

I've had the GSG 1911 for a long time and I even got a second one a couple of years ago and after a few upgrades they run pretty well. I got the G44 two weeks ago and so far no problems, so I'm going to unload one of the GSG 1911's.

I'm going to try the 36gr test Friday to see if I get the same results, but I've got a large stock of 40gr blazer and that seems to work in everything. The main thing I want is some higher capacity magazines and I'm sticking with the 2 factory mags until something bigger comes out and I know I can count on RFC to be all over any high cap mags for this gun.

The G44 is freakishly light, though and I'm still getting used to that.

#71 ·
OOB's are possible with pretty much any Semi-auto, consider who's bad mouthing a gun as some apparently work for Ruger...:rolleyes:

I handled a G44 yesterday at my LGS, felt just like my 19's and their variants but with a threaded barrel a $130-150 extra....I'm good for now.

:D

#72 ·
I picked up my G44 last Wednesday. (I'd filled out a 4473 the Friday before that and picked up a few mags for it also. $359 for the gun and 25.99 for the mags.)

I tried it out Thursday morning and put probably 300 rounds through. It seemed to work well.

Started off with a couple handfulls of random ammo that were in a bucket I got from my grandpa back in the 80's. (Figure everything in there is at least 30+ years old. Could be 50 for all I know.) Had one stovepipe but everything else cycled just fine. The rounds were all different manufacturers, weights, and speeds so grouping wasn't great but I was just making sure it worked at that point.

Switched over to CCI Mini Mags after that and things tightened up. Also tried a bunch of the Remington Golden Bullets out of one of those 1200 round bucket of bullets things. They seemed to work just fine also.

Friends have been asking how it compares to my Ruger Mark IV Competition. Both are fun, but it's comparing apples and oranges. The Glock weighs 1/3 as much, has a much shorter sight radius, and isn't meant to be a target pistol. It's not going to be as accurate, but it's probably just as accurate as I am.

The range trip was a success and when I cleaned it up after I got home didn't find any problems with it breaking or coming apart. I'm happy.

#73 ·
Local shop has one and I checked it out this morning. They are asking $380 for it. It seems like a well built 22 and does have a nice trigger. Unfortunately Glock pistols just don't fit my hands so it stayed in the store. I do like seeing more factory 22lr pistols becoming available.

#77 ·
This is so true and I like your style. I have the G21 which is ,of course, a .45. That's .45 ACP not the Glock .45 which is a GAP. Not a gap gap, but a Glock Automatic Pistol gap. Am I being clear? I also have a Glock 17 which isn't a .17 caliber of course, but a 9MM. Now about the 44, it's not working too good. Of course it's a .22 not a .44 and it seems to work great if your a Glock Lover and you don't mind jam's with Winchester, Remington, CCI, Federal and Aguila. It also blow's up once in awhile. Now a minor thing is it doesn't feed the first round from the magazine most of the time. Some have suggested turning the magazine upside down before loading. Simple, right? Or try standing on one foot and reciting the Gettysburg Address backwards. Magazine design is tough. The other companies only perfected the ten round magazine 80 or 90 years ago. Happy Shooting!

#78 ·
I now have near 1100 rounds thru mu Glock 44 and it’s running like a top. Had light strlke issues resulting in a fair number of misfires during first shooting session. I cleaned the firing pin channel which had a lot of black gunk in it. No more light strikes.

I’ve experienced no failures to feed, no failures to extract, and only 2 stove pipes while shooting very weal SV ammo.

I know some people are having issues with theirs, but mine is good to go.

Joe

#79 ·
Amazing

You either love'em or hate'em. And then if you watch some of the you tube boys you see " I jus took it out of the box". How about a little cleaning before we test fire and due a review?:rolleyes: I'm waiting for mine to be delivered to my FFL today. More that likely won't have it in time for the steel match tomorrow but a couple other fellows have theirs. So I'll just have to wait and see.

#80 ·
I took my '44 out again after work.

Unlike my first trip to the range, I did experience that first round not chambering issue a couple times tonight.

I'd loaded up all 5 of my mags the other night and had them ready to go in the case. The first one didn't want to load. Had to lock the slide back drop the mag and pop that round out then it was good to go.

Second and third mags had no issues. Fourth had the same problem. Fifth was fine also.

Once they were all empty I paid a little closer attention to loading and noticed that the top round sometimes isn't oriented quite right and that's what causes a problem. It loading the mag with the rear side on the table rather than the floorplate seemed to keep them pointed better but wasn't as easy. Better to load them normally but with the loading guides pushed down to compress the spring give the mag a shake upside down after the last round is loaded and everything's good.

That did solve the problem but it's kind of lame to have to do that. It'll be interesting to see what they have to say about it and what fixes come down the pipeline. It's hopefully something easy with spring tension or a change to the mag follower.

I had to do an interview tonight so I only stuck around long enough to put a dozen mags through. After the couple of feed problems I had initially everything was good once I figured out what was wrong. No other problems it shot like it should with both the mini mags and the golden bullets.

#81 ·
I had a similar problem with mine tonight. The first round would go nose up when the slide came forward on the first round and jam above the chamber. That's definitely a problem from not loading the magazine 'correctly', but I agree it is annoying to have to be that careful when loading. The perils of rimmed cartridges, I guess.

Anyways, I brought every kind of 22LR I had and while I did notice that I have almost exclusively 40gr ammo (so I could test the 36gr issue some have reported) this thing ate everything just fine.

Accuracy is fine for me shooting 3" sticker targets at 15yds and I definitely saved some $$ by only shooting 50 or so 45 ACP and the rest 22. I'm satisfied with it, I just want some aftermarket for factory mags that are 15+ rounds.

Does anyone have any idea who/when the hi-cap mags are coming?

#84 ·
It seems that the 10 round magazine is already exhibiting feed issued with the first round either nosediving or not controlling the round properly as it feeds up the ramp into the barrel. Tim from Military Arms Channel has been doing some more extensive testing on the G44 and has several videos documenting some of the issues he has experienced. As I have said before, this is a brand new model and some bugs are expected to pop up. It may take a year or two for them to get sorted out. I do believe that the higher capacity magazines will come eventually but not until after they solve the fed issues with the standard mags first. I am following the issues pretty closely and will report anything I hear about.

#85 ·
I just got back from a walkabout in the woods with my new Glock 44. Thomas Jefferson said it was healthy to walk around with a rifle. I agree.

My first outing was on January 20. I was excited. The temp was 35* F. The ammo was new CCI SV. The wax was thick and firm. I didn't bother cleaning the pistol before trying it. Multiple stove pipes. It became obvious where that term derived its name. I tried high velocity Winchester in the red plastic container which worked better, but I still had some failure to eject cleanly.

2nd try next day after taking apart and cleaning. 2 failure to eject completely with Federal bulk pack, red box. out of approximately 200 shots. There were quite a few stove pipes with CCI SV. Weather still in the high 30's.

3rd try, cleaned again. Almost no issues. I watched Plinkster 22's video and was a little worried, but was seeing improvement with each outing.

Today, cleaned again. Temp 57* F. 100 CCI SVs. No problems. Approximately 150 Federal bulk pack. No problems. I have had no problems with the first bullet not loading either. I understand that bullets 8,9, and 10 are not oriented upward as much as the first 7. The tab with the angle at the anterior part of the top of magazine seems to be made to act as a feed ramp.

I am now satisfied.My Taurus TX 22 has perhaps a better trigger and a magazine holding 16. Both are fun guns for a walkabout point shooting and shooting quickly. it shoots to my point of aim at about 10 yards.

My Razorbacks are in trouble with the Tide so I will check out.

#88 ·
Aguila Rifle Match competition. 50 shots many stove pipes.
CCI SV perfect 50 shots
Federal bulk pack red box perfect @ 100 shots
No difficulty loading first round even when top round not pointing up

I guess Aguila Rifle Match Competition lacks sufficient power to cycle slide

Temp 75* F

#90 ·
Glock 44 Not Reliable At All - Big Disappointment

I've been shooting 22 pistols for over 40 years. Rugers when we had babies to feed then High Standards, Woodsmen, SW41's and VQ Scorpions as my career advanced.

Never had a Glock, never wanted one but on a whim, I ordered one last week and picked it up yesterday. I watched all the videos paying particular attention to Plink's comments about not feeding 36grain bulk but thats ok, the only thing I shoot is cci std vel.

Took the 44 to the range with a brick of CCI's expecting to spend the day there.

I had a stovepipe on the very first round. I cleared it and had a second stovepipe. I shot 50 CCI SV's and had 7 stovepipes. I was so disgusted I went back to the club house community board and penned a warning sign for other shooters even thinking about buying a 44. I'll admit, I didnt like Glocks before but only because I'm an old iron and walnut guy. I always thought Glocks were indestructible and the epitome of reliability. What happened? Did they not test these?

I will sell this thing off at a loss and with plenty of warning for the new buyer because I'm not like Glock that sell faulty product to unsuspecting buyers.

This whole charade will wind up costing me $100 more or less but what was really cool is that I had 7 range members that called me about this. I was able to talk all 7 out of buying a 44.

Now, I'm seeing pics of cracked slides on the 44's? Remington broke my heart when they destroyed Marlin, Now this? What's their motto? Something about perfect imperfection?

Torque

This post has been deleted
#97 ·
Range Report

Just a small sample yesterday. But first time out I took a couple of mag's of Norma Tac 22. None of my semi autos like this stuff. And neither did the Glock 44. So no need to use that any more. Had multiple stove pipes and wouldn't lock back on the last round.
But all was not lost! I then loaded up with CCI Blazer 40 gr. :bthumb: It eats it like candy. So if nothing else it's got a taste for the cheapest ammo I have.
Just for kicks a giggles I'll run some more brands I have through it but can't complain about cheap plinking ammo that shoots well.
And by the way no problem with the sights. Shot POA @ 20 yds
It's not going to be a match target grade gun but might run it through a speed steel match sometime jus for fun.

#100 ·
The problem is, they just got released a few weeks ago, so its still early on and there are more and more reports of this problem. If a sites like Firearmrack are putting posts out about these problems and tells you to keep a eye on your pistol, that says something!
I am glad I didn't jump on buying one right away and to be honest, I will completely pass on the purchase now.

#104 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hmm, I work as a gunsmith and recommend Glocks to a lot of our customers and own a few myself. Far from a Glock hater! The truth hurts, they have been out for 3 weeks now and ALOT of reports of the being unreliable and 2 slides cracking. Now, if it were 2 slides cracking and they had been out for a few years than I would have no worries, BUT its been 3 weeks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.