#1 ·
Anyone got to shoot one yet?

Anyone around here I mean.

How was it?

-kBob

#2 ·
I've been wanting to buy one,,,

I've been wanting to find/fondle/buy one,,,
Kel Tec announced they would ship mid-November.

Here it is mid-January,,,
Still not one in sight anywhere.

Maybe they are trying to fix what was wrong with the ones they shipped to on-line reviewers.

Aarond

#4 ·
Well, finally,,, Buds has them in stock.

I just checked an hour ago,,,
Buds has them in stock for the MSRP of $199.95.

I think I'm going to buy local this time though,,,
I called The Evil Pawn Shop Guy to inform him that Kel Tec has shipped some out.

So I'm certain I'll have to wait for another 2-3-4 weeks,,,
But at least some progress has been made.

Aarond

#5 ·
Hot seller

I know the new Glock rimfire has been getting a lot of buzz and seems to be a great design, but I think if the P17 works like it should the $200 price tag with all it's features is gonna sell in numbers. That's just dirt cheap and for two bills how many other rimfires can you buy new? Heritage. Wrangler. Phoenix. Any others?

#6 ·
I know the new Glock rimfire has been getting a lot of buzz and seems to be a great design, but I think if the P17 works like it should the $200 price tag with all it's features is gonna sell in numbers. That's just dirt cheap and for two bills how many other rimfires can you buy new? Heritage. Wrangler. Phoenix. Any others?
I can tell you I will buy one for that price. Can't have enough 22 pistols

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 · (Edited)
First reports/reviews on them last fall were not favorable. Keltec then delayed releasing them until the problems were worked out. They finally became available near the middle of Feb. I ordered one online for $169.99 through Sportsman's Warehouse and picked it up in their closest store on March 3. With tax it was $180 and change.

I've now put over 1k rounds through it and am delighted. It is very, very light wtih a 2.5-3lb single action trigger. Comes with 3 16 round mags, fiber optic front sight, threaded barrel, thread protector, muzzle adapter and tool. It's a lot of bang for the buck.

Mine has been accurate and reliable. She ain't purty but is the perfect trail, kit gun. It's a helluva lotta fun to shoot.

Has a fixed barrel and a unique slide.

It is about the same size but a lot lighter (10.7 oz) than a Ruger SR22 (18 oz), holds more rounds (16 vs. 10 rnd mags) , has a much better trigger (2.5-3 lb single action trigger) better sights (fiber optic front), a threaded barrel and a safety that goes the right way (down instead of up). I find it more comfortable to hold (wider grip) and is well over $100 cheaper.

Put a flash hider on it while waiting for my can stamp to be approved.

I liked it so much I bought another one and sold my SR22. I have about 300 rounds through the second one without a glitch. It is a much better deal than the SR.

It would cost well over $400 to duplicate what you get with the P17 with an SR22 when you add up the initial cost of the pistol $320, extra mags $25/ea, threaded barrel $100 plus an muzzle adapter and wrench, plus a fiber optic front sight $20.

#12 ·
I shoulda bought from Buds wehn I had the chance,,,

Here it is in April and still not one to be found.

The Evil Pawn Shop Guy said he can't get Kel Tec to ship him one,,,
And none of the distributors he uses has any in stock.

I called Sportsman's Warehouse and they won't ship to a pawn shop,,,
I have no idea why but that's what the lady on the phone said.

So much for gifting a May graduate a P-17.

Aarond

#14 · (Edited)
Here it is in April and still not one to be found.

The Evil Pawn Shop Guy said he can't get Kel Tec to ship him one,,,
And none of the distributors he uses has any in stock.

I called Sportsman's Warehouse and they won't ship to a pawn shop,,,
I have no idea why but that's what the lady on the phone said.

So much for gifting a May graduate a P-17.

Aarond

SW will ship to another FFL. It's on their website. Just order it (when back in stock) and add the closest FFL. It's currently out of stock but get on their email notification list. It's been in and out of stock 3 times in the last month.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...rifle-393in-green-pistol-161-rounds/p/1620146

#15 ·
Got mine last week for $185.50 OTD. First time at the range, today, was great. I put about 250 rounds through it, 5 or 6 different flavors. Everything from Mini-Mags for Suppressor loads went fine. Turns out it's also a great platform for my .22 can. Very happy! Back to the range tomorrow!

#16 · (Edited)
I bought one last week. Short review -- I don't like it as much as the Taurus TX22, but I do like it a LOT.

This is a very unique (isn't every Kel-Tec gun unique?) and lightweight little pistol. I love the easy takedown.

I like the TX22 3-dot sights better. I may add some white dots to the rear sight to make it more visible.

I LOVE the way the TX22 feels in my hand, but I am making some mods to the P17 that make it fit my large hands better. Number one thing was to JB Weld on a wooden trigger shoe to increase the trigger reach (by about 3/8"). This helps with the trigger pull and keeps my trigger finger from contacting the left-side mag release at the end of the trigger stroke.

I'm also looking at ways to pad the grip to make it more comfortable. The projection at the bottom front of the grip is uncomfortable.

The P17 is not as nice as my Browning Challenger, but the Challenger won't fit in my pocket. ;)

#20 ·
I bought mine last month online. I paid-up a bit, but I don't care. There are so many extras already on it, not much need to add $$$ later! I have about 500 rounds through mine. Except for Winchester Target HV, it eats everything I feed it without a glitch! Since the rear sight is adjustable, I adjusted it to my POA. I added a wide white outline on the rear blade and bright orange on the front ramp for my dang bifocals. I also added a rubber grip sleeve to get rid of the blocky feeling. Since the barrel can't be removed, I bought a .22 pistol Hoppes BoreSnake so I don't bang-up any internals with a rod. I don't have a suppressor but put the adapter on anyhow. I bought a $10 thread protector with granade-knob texture which looks really good with this blocky handgun! My biggest adjustment to shooting technique was getting used to NO, absolutely n-o-n-e, recoil. My gun will fail limp wristing, but so will a Glock, I witnessed it.

So, get one and go shooting!!!!:gun4::Blasting_:gun4::Blasting_:gun4::Blasting_

#21 ·
My LGS had one for $189 Out The Door. That's an offer I couldn't resist. Good shooting pistol with a surprisingly good trigger. Seems to feed anything I've stuffed in the magazine. Like others have mentioned, I prefer my TX-22 but for a plinker, the P-17 is fun to shoot and one of the guns in my range-bag.

#22 ·
About 500-600 trouble-free rounds through mine now, a whole bunch of different flavors and loads. Works great with my 22 can, to boot. Got a mag loader and cheap green laser for it. Could life be any sweeter? I is now, and will remain, my constant range companion. Tried it at 25 yds. last weekend, but I just couldn't see the holes!

#23 ·
Re: Kel Tec P-17 .22 LR Pistol

I have a Kel Tec P-17 I have found it to be very dependable and reliable with no problems or malfunctions or failure in 500 rounds of CCI 40 grain Velociter Hp ammo. It comes with 3 mags and the price point for under 200 bucks is hard to beat KelTec cant keep up with the demand. I also have a Kel Tec CP-33 but that's for another thread. see my YOUTUBE Tabletop Review of this pistol.

#24 ·
About 2500 rounds through it now. I'm using up all the miscellaneous 22 ammo left over from the last time you couldn't find it. So far it's eaten everything I've tried, mostly suppressed. Even functioning well with CCI quiet through the can.
Paid $169.95 at Sportsmans.

Lonehunter

#26 ·
For you owners - Do the magazines require any special techniques when loading?

I have a CP33 that is fun to shoot but the mags must be loaded with careful attention or they will rimlock and then you will be digging 30 plus rounds out of a jammed mag. Get it right and it is 30 plus rounds of fun.

The TX22 magazines that hold 16 rounds are a dream to load in comparison to the CP33.

#29 ·
For you owners - Do the magazines require any special techniques when loading?

The TX22 magazines that hold 16 rounds are a dream to load in comparison to the CP33.
None that I know of. I just rap the back of the mag occasionally when loading, as I do on any other mags.

I have the TX22 and the P17 and I lightly greased the inside of the mags for both, which makes them a little easier to load and maybe helps with feeding.

For the P17 mags, I have considered making some kind of loader that would in part consist of a stiff rod ~ 0.075 dia. (a small hex wrench?) that could be used to push the follower down via the hole on the top left of the mag. This is the hole where the follower pushes up the bolt latch when the bolt opens on an empty mag.

#27 · (Edited)
I don't think they are making any right now.

I read in another forum where a man who delivers to the Kel Tec plant said,,,
It's basically shut down due to the Corona virus.

If the distributors of the first ones shipped are out,,,
There probably wont be any more until production starts up again.

This is hearsay only,,,
I have no real knowledge either way.

I'm just bummed because,,,
I WANT ONE!

Aarond

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.