Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Glock 44

34K views 192 replies 77 participants last post by  12Bravo 
#1 ·
See Glock is comming out with a full size .22.About same size as a g19.This will be all Glock.Not that gsg crap.Trying to find a price.

#153 ·
Today, I shot @ 200 Thunderbolts with no problems. These were recently purchased. My CCI MM, SV, 2 types of Blazer (RN 38 and 40 grain) have performed flawlessly. I still get an occasional stovepipe with Fed 36 gr bulk pack, @ 1-2/100. I don,t know if it is the powder, the hollow point or inconsistency of charge. It does seem like the bolt cycles more slowly with some charges as it occasionally does in semiautomatic rifles when using the Fed 36 gr bulk pack. This seemed to be from accumulated powder and debris remedied by cleaning.

I think the G44 performs better with time because of breaking in and probably better loading of bullets in the magazine as Gerald stresses to read the ownwer’s manual. I can cause it to malfunction by purposely loading the magazine with the points of the bullet downward so getting the bullets oriented properly helps. Obviously, other pistols don’t require this attention.

Also, making sure that the magazine is clicked all the way in place prevents malfunctions. Sometimes, this magazine seems to go in place, but is not all the way clicked in. Just a little attention remedies this.

The point of aim requires the dot of the front sight to cover the target at close range, 3-7yards. Beyond that the impact is slightly above to 2-3 inches above the POA. At around 30 yards, the POI is back to the top of the sight. My experience.

Putting my non dominant left index finger on the squared off front of the trigger guard allows me to shoot more accurately than having it on the right hand fingers on the grip. I guess that is why it was made that way although most videos on You Tube place the left index fingers on the right hand fingers on the grip.

I realize this is of no benefit to experienced home defense shooters, but, perhaps, it will help home defense neophytes such as myself.

#158 ·
I picked one up about two weeks ago after being on the fence about it. Getting to run about 450 rounds through a friends 44 is what changed my mind.

Anyways, cleaned it the night it came home and went to the range the next day. I ran 19 brands of ammo from 38gr Blazer to Lapua. Most of them were a just a single mag to see if they would run or not, given it’s not target pistol I was inclined to blow through a bunch of my target ammo. Overall it had 898 rounds put through it in about an hour and a half.

I had help from my wife and friend. All 3 of us loaded mags and none is paid much attention to how we loaded them, other than loading one round at a time. My Ruger mags have to be loaded one at a time as well or they won’t run, so that was just the natural way to do it. It was not a conscious decision to help the 44 run better.

The below list is what I ran, the number is how many out each brand fired without a fail to feed or fail to eject. I started with the Minimags and the rest happened in whatever order we pulled them from the box.

CCI Minimag 160/160
CCI SV 50/50
Aguila Super Extra 10/10
Aguila Super Extra HV 10/10
Federal Gold Medal 10/10
CCI Suppressor 10/10
Norma USA Subsonic* 4/10
Wolf 22 10/10
Fiocchi Official 320 10/10
SK Flatnose 10/10
SK Rifle Match 8/10
Fiocchi Performance 10/10
Lapua Center-X 9/10
Eley Target 10/10
CI 10/10
Lapua Midas Plus 10/10
SK Standard Plus 10/10
Blazer Bulk 528/528

Overall I had 3 failures to eject and 6 failure to feed. These were the only firearm related issues I had. There were 8 failures to fire, but all 8 fired on a second strike, I’m inclined to push that on the ammo as all 8 had solid strikes.

*The Nora USA SS has a FPS if 950. I expected it to choke on this and it did. It just didn’t have the power to run the slide. All 6 of the failures to eject came from here.

Overall, I’m thrilled with the 44 and I wish my Rugers ran this well with this many types of ammo. At some point I’ll run a brick of 36gr bulk and see what happens. I expect I’ll have some duds that work on the second strike and no other issues.

#159 ·
I went to the range on Saturday with the Glock 44. I had zero malfunctions, no failure to feed, no failure to fire, and no failure to eject. I'm very happy to say the least. The one thing I don't care for is the sights on the pistol. I need to practice more or look at different sights. I shot the following ammo:

Armscor 36Gr HP high velocity
Federal Champion 510 40Gr
CCI 40Gr standard velocity
CCI Mini Mag 40Gr
PMC Sidewinder 40Gr high velocity
CI Superrapido 40Gr

#160 ·
My Glock 44 - Zero Failures ProMag 18 Magazine

To start, I am not a Glock fan. Don't like the look or feel. Prefer steel guns.

I received mine new in a trade in November 2019, so I assume it was early in the production cycle. I have had zero malfunctions at the 800 round mark. I have shot only high velocity Blazers, Aquila HV, Winchester. CCI Mini Mags and Stingers etc. I have not shot some of the crap ammo that many of the testers have used looking for failures. I shoot 40gr lead round nose only. No .22 gun will shoot every brand perfectly.

That said I just purchased a ProMag 18 round magazine after reading some negative reviews referring to ProMag in general. I have maybe 125 rounds through it with one issue. It will not feed Stingers. Everything else ran flawlessly. Loading 18 rounds is a challenge. Loading rounds 16-18 was near impossible. I did buy a speed loader off Ebay and it resolves the loading issue.

I am closer to a Glock fan than ever before.

#162 ·
Well I have hit the 6,000 round mark while testing out the last few ProMag 18 round mags out last week. That is 6,000 trouble free rounds at that.

I will definitely be putting more rounds through my G44 this week since my Nelson Precision RMR cut slide arrives tomorrow.

#163 · (Edited)
Must be a lot to lot production issue.

Mine was specifically bought for training new shooters on a common platform. It is great for what it is, but would be a stretch to call it trouble free. Even with minimags it will get ftfs and stovepipes, not often but enough that a range session of 100 will provide at least an opportunity or 2 for jam clearing practice. It did best with aguila 40s but even then had a few that needed a second go to fire.

My pistol experience is a mark 3, some big bore revolvers and a few wheel gun rimfires. A couple years ago we moved to a city and with that several glocks in various sizes. I've been really pleased with my full size and semi compact 9 and 40s. Actually quite surprised at the capacity for accuracy. After 1500 rounds out of the g44, still not overwhelmed with it. It's a great tool for practice and instruction in a common platform. If I needed a straight up plinking toy it wouldn't make the top 5.

As to the pro mag I'll have to reserve judgement until they stay loaded a while. Sample size of 10 so fingers crossed.

Would love to have an rmr on it, was a game changer for my hit percentage at longer ranges. Be interesting to see how you like the aluminum slide.

#164 ·
I have been using the ProMag magazines for a few months now and I usually leave them fully loaded all the time in between range trips. I haven't had any problems with the 4 that I have, they are just as reliable as the OEM magazines for me.

I won't lie and I was very leery about even trying the ProMag magazines until I saw others having success with them. ProMag actually got the G44 mags right. I also have a ProMag 25 round magazine for my Marlin Model 70 that works great too. Other ProMag products have not worked for me.

I will update/make a new post once I get my slide and have a chance to shoot a few hundred rounds through it. I want to shoot it enough to get the gun dirty to see how it does.

#165 ·
I had an opportunity to shoot two G44's and both had magazine difficulties. At least in my hands they didn't feel that great and accuracy was run of the mill. I bought two TX22's instead and I'm glad I did. Better grip, sights, and trigger. American Rifleman "%%%%ed the G44 with faint praise" stating the magazines issues and it's being picky on ammunition although that is a problem with many .22's.

Attachments

#166 ·
To each their own. Some like Glock pistols and some don't. Buy what you like.

This whole thread is about the G44 and most of us that own one are very happy with them and have NOT had issues.

And the Taurus TX22 has had its own issues too with bad barrels.

I have also seen a very few instances where the G44 and TX22 slides have broke right at the recoil spring lug. With such a small sample of failures, that isn't saying that either pistol is flawed.

And with any 22lr, especially pistols, what type and brand of ammo does make a difference on how they function.

#167 ·
I think the rub comes from expectations. Local shop had the tcx for 232 and a 25 mir a few years ago. I had kel tec levels of expectation, when it cycled and shot just fine I was pleased as punch. Previous revolver experience with Taurus did not lend me to believe that it would be a long lived pistol. It did 3k over a year and a half and was given to a crewman who loved it. He still shoots it and hasn't had much issues. Also wasn't the slightest bit surprised when folks had issues with theirs.

I'll be honest my expectations were a fair bit higher with the g44 and that may be why my initial outing was a bit anticlimactic. I've never had a malfunction with my 3 glocks when using factory mags. Last fall I shot 2000 rounds of the worst 40 money can buy (tula) and only one ftf. Probably set my sights a bit high for a 379$ pistol. I'll say this once the casting bur was fixed on my one mag they have been flawless.

Pulled and loaded the last 5 promag magazines. 6 of the 10 took 17 and manually cycled rounds. 4 exhibited the nose dive phenomenon after 7rounds. No amount of fiddling with them got it to stop. This was my initial issue with the one that broke straight out of the bag. Need to sit down and look at the ones that won't cycle over 7 rounds and see if it's a different lot #. Honestly for 13$ I'm still happy even with a 40% failure rate. Can get 18 in but only if i deform the last two rounds with pressure. Figure that will improve with time compressing the spring.

All that to say, it's understandable why some folks choose other options instead of the 44. Its probably fair to even point it out in the main thread. Mine serves its purpose, as will the lcp2 in 22 I just ordered, neither are likely to be at the next bullseye match...

#169 ·
Clean your slide

I had a round go off while the slide was closing, no damage but loud, I had over 4000 rounds and have never stripped the slide and clean extractor FP, etc it was super carbon caked and the fire pin block safety was not dropping out, soaked it all in windex and cleaned everything well, my bad I should have done this sooner so I recommend cleaning all slide parts every 2k. I'm pretty sure the FP was stuck fwd and slam fired while feeding jammed using a promag 18rd mag and Glock threaded barrel suppressed so lots of variables and CCi sv ammo. Think I'm done with g44 and suppressor too much unburnt powder blowing back in my face vs tx22 or ruger mk3 just an fyi to y'all.

#173 ·
Sights

I just changed the sights on mine. That factory adjustable was adjusting some on it's own. Changed over to Ameri Glo GFB103. Now in the process of getting them set to my liking. Non adjustable but setting the windage for now. Seems dead on at 20 yds with POA. Just a little too much right windage.
Like the gun a lot and has been with me every range trip for a couple of mags just to keep in practice.

#174 ·
Picked one up a few days ago. I was worried because of the reviews. I’m 250 rounds (30 CCI mini mag 40 grain and 220 federal 550 36 grain) with no issues at all. I know 250 rounds is not enough for a real test, but I’m happy so far.

I got it to mimic my 19 so I can save my solid gold projectiles (9mm). I would not have bought it if I wanted a suppressor or something for precision shooting. Just want to draw from a holster and hit my target center mass. And then in the extremely unlikely event I had to do the same with the 19 I can.

#175 ·
If you're getting good results with feeding from the 36 gr ammo you have a winner.
Mine will not consistently feed 36 gr.
I talked to a friend that's been shooting his now for well over 1500 rounds and said his is now feeding 36 gr with more reliability than when he first got it.

#176 ·
I recently picked up a G44. 1st outing I ran 4 Glock 10 round mags each of 3 different types of ammo. Zero malfunctions with Win Super X 40 grain, Win M22 45 grain subsonic and Aguila 38 grain HP.
I had it out today with my wife shooting. With much trepidation I bought 4 of the 18 round promags. I immediately loaded them with 15 rounds of Win Super X and let them sit. Out of the 20 rounds in the Glock mags and 60 rounds in the promags there was one failure to feed from one of promags. I reloaded that mag with 15 rounds of Blazer and no malfunctions. Looks like Promag got it right for a change.

#180 ·
From all of the posts on this and other forums, it is hit or miss on the ProMag reliability. I have four of them and they all work just as good as the OEM magazines that I have.

One thing that definitely helps (with any magazine) is to load them to full capacity and let them sit for a few days before use.

#181 ·
Like it

I've only got 1 of the pro mag 18 shot mags. I've loaded it and leave it loaded with 18. But for most of the range use I just go 15 rounds.
A fellow I know, knows someone with a 3D printer and is going to try and make a loader to hold those little tabs down for ease of loading. I hope it works.

#182 · (Edited)
VANEK CUSTOM Stage 1 trigger

OK folks,
I've a positive report on the Glock 44 and trigger kit recommendation. Wife wished Glock made a 22 and my eyebrows raised. So, I have a G43, and G48 set up identically except for their grip color. Both have Ghost 3.5lb triggers and trijicon red dots, black hawk Serpa holsters. Then the ammo shortage and our IDPA starting accepting 22lr along with centerfire.

If only. . if only I could set up a very similar glock 22 that shot just as my sport and carry glocks. Well, its happened! Pricey but worth it. I ordered a Charley Vanek Custom Stage 1 trigger for the G44, $175 + $8 https://vanekcustom.com/g44-trigger-kits/ shipping, on a Fri afternoon. 3 days later, Mon pm, it arrived. Life happened and Fri nite, thought oh well, put his trigger into the unfired G44 and took it to our Sat match. It ran flawlessly. I love that glock put a button on each side for the mag spring. It's pretty easy to load.

Fri nite before match day, spent 4 min dropping the trigger kit into pistol. Trigger pull changed from 5.6lb to 3.7lb without changing any springs. There was still glock pre-travel, but oily slick and almost no post-travel. Sun I put in the 4.5lb firing spring, (comes with 4lb, 4.5lb, & 5lb). By the way, the trigger kit is composed of all original glock parts that Charlie mods and polishes. Went to the range and shot another 150 rounds. The trigger now measures 3.25lb, this is 22lr and zero misfires the 1st 300 rds. of Federal match and CCI. It's very close to my other 2 glocks, what a trainer. My wife now has a shooter that she can rack and enjoys shooting. Her and I both love it :bthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.