Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Charter Arms Pathfinder Problems

12K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  biblethumpncop 
#1 ·
I picked up a new Charter Arms Pathfinder Target with the 4-1/2 barrel. First time out at the range yesterday, we consistently had failure-to-fires in double action. Happened about 1/3 of the time. Note that if we fired on that cylinder a second time, they would (almost) always fire. I was using good quality Federal ammo, which I've never had any issues with before. Never a problem in single action.

I notice that the hammer doesn't seem smooth when cocking it in single action: About where the double action let off would be and until the full cock, the hammer seems to require extra effort.

I'm willing to try some simple stuff to keep from having to send the revolver in for service. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Larry

#2 ·
It needs to be broke in.
On ours I sat for several evenings while watching a movie dry-firing in dbl action with a rubber buffer to cushion hammer fall on the frame. I dont remember how many hundred times.....but it smoothed up and next day Id try a test dbl act fire, repeat as needed. Eventually it settled in.

#3 ·
It sounds like it has a rough surface finish and a borderline hammer spring. You could try taking the grips off and looking at the spring and guide rod. Put a drop of heavy oil at the top of the rod where it meets the hammer and oil the spring. Also watch the spring compress as you pull the hammer back and see if you can identify any rough contact between the spring and guide rod where you feel the rough spot on cocking. It could be a burr or bound spring coil.

#4 ·
I also have a new target pathfinder. I mistakenly lost the mainspring while taking it apart this weekend before I even shot it. Uggggh.

I shot it with a lighter mainspring from my 38 and had light strikes too. My action was gritty but started to get much smoother within 250 shots. I brought emoty cases home and plan on dry firing it a lot to smooth out the action.

I called the factory and they are sending me a new spring at no cost. The spring in the rimfire is blue and heavier so I anticipate that will solve my light strike issues.

I found the 8 shot gun fun and enjoy it.

#5 ·
I'm willing to try some simple stuff to keep from having to send the revolver in for service. Any suggestions?
I once had a Taurus 94 that experienced light strikes which were remedied by grinding a little off the front face of the hammer. The hammer was hitting the frame before the firing pin was fully extended by the transfer bar. (hard to explain this)

If it's a hammer spring problem, the spring can effectively be made stronger by adding a spacer on the hammer spring pin.

#6 ·
Pulled the hammer and spring. The hammer seems to move smoothly on its own. However, the trigger (which I didn't take out) does not seem smooth during the last little bit of travel -- like maybe the transfer bar is hanging up a little. I dropped some lube inside, reassembled, and dry fired a bunch of times. Seems marginally smoother now.

I intend to try again next time out.

Larry

#12 ·
I just got back from another outing with my Pathfinder . . . and I'm not pleased.

This time I'm seeing the double action trigger bind up about 50% of the time. This isn't a case of a really heavy trigger pull, as there is no way to put enough force on the trigger to cycle it through.

The lack of smoothness when cocking in single action is back again with a vengeance: About where the double action let off would be and until the full cock, the hammer seems to require extra effort. Now it seems worse that during my first outing.

I think I'm going to avail myself of the Charter Arms Warranty this coming week.

Larry

#16 ·
I tried Aguila Super Extra out of my newly returned Pathfinder. I had numerous misfires. I called the factory today and was told they don't recommend Aguila due to issues.

I will go back out with Winchester 555, Winchester Super X (older stuff from the 1980's), American Eagle and a few rounds of Federal 40gr solid lead I have left.

#17 ·
I have an older 6" Pathfinder that I picked up last year. The trigger on it felt "glitchey". Single action was okay but double action just felt weird to me. I'm a fan of older CA revolvers. My everyday CCW is a 1985 CA Undercover. It has been perfect.
Anyway the Pathfinder at an auction currently to be sold tomorrow.

WLR in E TN

#19 ·
The only good Charter Arms is the one you just got rid of at the gun show to someone who doesn't know any better.

With the established track record of S&W, Ruger, and even sometimes on some models, Taurus if you get a god one, why and how does Charter Arms even stay in business?

Yes, I know they are priced lower, but so is a Yugo compared to a Toyota.

#22 ·
Give it about 500 dry fires dbl action (With a pad to dampen the hammer fall) and it will be better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.