Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Charter Arms Pathfinder

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  biblethumpncop 
#1 ·
I have been looking for a light, short barrel 22 revolver with external hammer, in a time when it is hard to find anything gun related. There is nothing locally that I like.

I have seen several online but that is going on photos and descriptions only. I have a chance to buy a new Pathfinder from an online seller but it will be sight unseen, except for a photo. I like the look of it and the specs.

Looking at past threads on RFC I see a lot of favorable remarks on vintage Charter Arms rimfires but nothing on current versions.

I would appreciate any comments on current production Pathfinders. It will see a lot of range use, as well as woods carry. I don't expect a target gun but accuracy and durability are important.

#2 ·
We have had the newer generation ss snubby Pathfinder for some years (10?). I had a pair of the 44Spl blued models way back and was reasonably satisfied with them once I Loaded The Cartridges Down.
Was surprised to find the new PF has a plastic trigger guard but plastics are used quite a lot now.
Sadly, it isnt reliably rabbit accurate at 15yds., Ok for hit & miss pop cans for fun but not an 'accurate' handgun to this geezer. Guess I got spoiled by S&W and Colt's.......

#5 ·
My experience and judgment here, stick with S&W. What ever price you pay, the value will be there and will increase. And while you own it, you will be happy. I am not wishy washy on this, a strong recommendation.
THIS^^^^^^^^!

You'll never regret buying a S&W. They work. I can't say the same for the couple Charter Arms I've owned and never will again.

Also; the Ruger LCR .22 I bought over a year ago, and functioned flawlessly, and is surprisingly accurate. And I'm an old fart at 70 years of age. All my handguns are either Smith and Wesson or Ruger revolvers. No problems.

#6 ·
I owned two Stratford era 44's and a Stratford era Undercover 38. I currently own two 3" Police Undercover 38's. One functions fine, and the other had to be returned twice for timing issues. I recently got the call from the factory that they were replacing the gun.

I appreciate their customer service and lifetime warranty. In fact, I ordered a 4" Target Pathfinder from them today.

I own a Colt Diamondback 22 and a Browning Buckmark. Those have their place, but it will be nice having a $300 stainless 8 shot .22lr with a lifetime warranty.

Attachments

#7 ·
i've never had a problem with any of my Charters.
One of my concealed carries is a Bulldog 44 Special, 2.5".
My back pocket farm gun was a 2" Pathfinder in 22LR. I ended up giving that to the wife after she used her Charter .38 on a possum in the hen house.
She concealed carries her CA .38, and is darn good with it.

For the record, I'm 72, she's 74, and we no longer have the money to throw around on S&W's or Rugers any more (although I do have a number of each, bought in my younger days).

I'm going to get another Pathfinder farm gun to replace the one I gave her, but it will be 22 WMR.

#8 ·
I picked up a new 4" Pathfinder for my mom. I have only ever owned Smith & Wessons and Ruger rimfire revolvers. My take on it is that it is not a bad revolver for the money but lacks the refinements of the more expensive revolvers. If you are looking for a cheap .22 caliber bullet slinger it will certainly fill that role well. If you are a trigger or smooth action snob I wouldn't recommend it.

#9 ·
Fwiw, 1000 dbl action dryfires (with a hammer-fall cushion) smoothed ours out.
Seems like a lot but that is only 200 per night watching tv over 5 nights.

#10 · (Edited)
Picked up a .32 H&R Magnum, shoots well enough but the trigger was too heavy for the wife, gunsmith slicked it up nice for a moderate sum. I'd picked it up at Pawn shop on the cheap.

Both are hers but she only shoots .32 H&R's in the Ruger, I like the .327's personally..

My favorite Charter Arms is another pawn shop rescue...

Yes that's MagnaPorting.

.44 Bulldog, very fun to shoot and pretty accurate with Speer 200gr Gold Dots.

#11 ·
My Pathfinder arrived yesterday. I hope to take it out in the morning before church and test fire it. Fit & finish appear decent. I put a stainless steel grip frame on it and an old set of Pachmayr compact grips. It added weight to the grip area and balanced it out better. The gun now weighs 29 oz.

The action was a little gritty, but I know from experience that it smoothens out quickly. I lost the heavier mainspring accidentally when I was taking it apart. I will order another next week. I threw in a mainspring from my Police Undercover 38 which is lighter and feels much nicer. I will know tomorrow if it has enough oomph to ignite the rimfire shells.

Attachments

#15 ·
My Pathfinder arrived yesterday. I hope to take it out in the morning before church and test fire it. Fit & finish appear decent. I put a stainless steel grip frame on it and an old set of Pachmayr compact grips. It added weight to the grip area and balanced it out better. The gun now weighs 29 oz.

The action was a little gritty, but I know from experience that it smoothens out quickly. I lost the heavier mainspring accidentally when I was taking it apart. I will order another next week. I threw in a mainspring from my Police Undercover 38 which is lighter and feels much nicer. I will know tomorrow if it has enough oomph to ignite the rimfire shells.
Really like the looks of that little revolver. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.
I shot it today with the lighter mainspring from my 38 in it until I can order another factory spring.

I tried 5 different manufacturers of ammo. The Winchester 555 bulk was the most reliable. It didn't have light strikes in single action but would have one light strike per cylinder in double action. The other brands had 2-3 light strikes in double action consistently. Single action was more reliable but would occasionally have a light strike.

I shot 250+ rounds I'm guessing. It was a very enjoyable and I could feel the action getting smoother. I fully think the factory mainspring that comes in the pathfinder will be satisfactory and that my light strikes experienced today are a result of the lighter spring.

I tried the factory grip & the Pachmayr Compact grip. The Compact grip consistently gave me groups to the left. The factory grip gave centered groups. I also had a Pachmayr Presentation grip that looks huge on the gun. BUT- it feels the best and let me shoot it the best. Has a similar feel to my Diamondback now, although lighter. Since it isn't a CCW gun, I think I will keep the bigger grips on it. I wonder what kind of trigger shoe would fit it?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.