Dad's Old Rifle - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:15 PM
Pressman
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dad's Old Rifle

I have my fathers old .22 auto, a Stevens 87B. It's been in the family for longer than I have memory. And he never fired it. As a teenager I could shoot it as I saw fit.
I never took to it, it just never seemed that accurate. So it has been setting for the past 20+ years untouched.

Today I took it out, egged on by the great comments here about these rifles, and fired 10 shots at our 50ft indoor range.
Yes, the trigger is as bad as I remember, the vintage Weaver scope needs taking apart and cleaning the glass.
And it shot very well, all shots into a single hole at that distance with Wolf ammo.
I am going to get it cleaned up and take it back next Monday for a better workout.
I will not part with it and it's nice to know that it has a lot of untapped accuracy potential.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9681.jpg (153.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-07-2021, 04:50 PM
Frontstuffer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an M6A Savage. Basically the same rifle, and she too is a shooter. You will look long, hard and in vain to find a truly better all around .22 semiautomatic. And none that can do all that the 6A/ 87 series can.
Enjoy!
Old 04-07-2021, 07:30 PM
Pressman
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Frontstuffer. It has every appearance of being a great shooter. I just need to get more acquainted with it.

And fix the scope. It is the scope that has always been on it, looks like a Weaver but is marked JC Higgins. The issue is the ocular lens has started to delaminate making it difficult to see through. I had thought it was just dirty glass.

I am going to need a donor scope for the lens or get this one fixed.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2021, 08:23 AM
Kestrel4k
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I always like reading the backstories on the older family rifles - goodness knows I've got a few lol.

As far as scopes go, from what I know there is one older scope appropriate for that rimfire rifle that is head&shoulders above the rest; the 'Baby Redfield' - if it was me I'd splurge for one of those perhaps ?
Old 04-08-2021, 08:25 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice..Great Heirloom.

My buddy is working on one f these right now..He is trying to figure a feed problem. Might be the inner magazine tube is hanging up and not letting the rounds feed far enough rearward..
Old 04-08-2021, 11:24 AM
Catt57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
I have my fathers old .22 auto, a Stevens 87B. It's been in the family for longer than I have memory. And he never fired it. As a teenager I could shoot it as I saw fit.
I never took to it, it just never seemed that accurate. So it has been setting for the past 20+ years untouched.

Today I took it out, egged on by the great comments here about these rifles, and fired 10 shots at our 50ft indoor range.
Yes, the trigger is as bad as I remember, the vintage Weaver scope needs taking apart and cleaning the glass.
And it shot very well, all shots into a single hole at that distance with Wolf ammo.
I am going to get it cleaned up and take it back next Monday for a better workout.
I will not part with it and it's nice to know that it has a lot of untapped accuracy potential.
These are great old rifles. I enjoy every one of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post
Nice..Great Heirloom.

My buddy is working on one f these right now..He is trying to figure a feed problem. Might be the inner magazine tube is hanging up and not letting the rounds feed far enough rearward..
Make sure the lifter spring hasn't been installed backward. It's quite common.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:00 AM
Pressman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kesteral4K you are correct about the baby Redfield. I saw my first one at a show in Lacrosse 3 weeks ago. It was beautiful and only 250.00. Buy a scope or buy a rifle, a rifle won out that day. But I am still dreaming about that scope.
It would be the perfect scope on my Savage 19-33.

Thanks for the reminder,
Ken
Old 04-09-2021, 07:16 AM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
Thanks Frontstuffer. It has every appearance of being a great shooter. I just need to get more acquainted with it.

And fix the scope. It is the scope that has always been on it, looks like a Weaver but is marked JC Higgins. The issue is the ocular lens has started to delaminate making it difficult to see through. I had thought it was just dirty glass.

I am going to need a donor scope for the lens or get this one fixed.

Ken
Stuff this old does wear out. I would not be surprised if sometime down the road you need to refresh some springs. I am sure this is a good gun, based on who and when made. But; I would not be running a brick at a time in one of these. Not with the sentimental value it has. Shoot it for sure. Absolutely, that is what it is for. A little gun oil, wont hurt.

I have no experience with these scopes. You might be able to remove the glass and get all the coating off. That would be with some trial an error. Nail Polish remover or acetone might be a good first guess. I would try that for sure.

Edit: I just remembered, the front lens might be two pieces glued together and the problem could be in that glue. If that is the case, you need to do more research. Maybe a dedicated optical website.

Last edited by fourbore; 04-09-2021 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:50 AM
Mr Fishhead

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Nice rifle.
The scope is the same as the Weaver G4. If the ocular lens looks "smokey" , it probably just needs the inside of the lens cleaned. If it looks "splotchy" , it could be delamination (the glue holding the lens together has dried up).

They are relatively easy scopes to work on and take apart. Look at the construction of it and it becomes apparent how it comes apart and goes back together.

Dan