Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

If you have both, Taurus TX22 or Keltec P17

8K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  whiplash 
#1 ·
They are pretty close for me. Taurus grips better but it is bigger with an aluminum slide. Kel-tec would be a better carry pistol with a steel slide that is very easy.

Dilemma is coming up. Do I keep one of each or go with two Kel-tec P17. If I had two Kel-tecs, I have one for each hand plus parts if needed.

Your take?

#2 ·
I have both. IMHO the TX22 is better -- more comfortable to hold, better sights, and less ammo sensitive.

OTOH, the P17 is lighter, more compact, and is very reliable and accurate with CCI Mini Mags. I love the easy P17 takedown.

The P17 goes almost everywhere I go.

I plan to keep both, but if I were to buy another of either the TX22 or the P17, it would be the P17, especially if I could get one in green or tan.

As you said "pretty close". My advice, keep both.

As a qualifier, I don't regularly put a lot of rounds thru either one.

One more thing -- the P17 is almost identical in size to my main carry Glock G43.

#3 ·
I have both. IMHO the TX22 is better -- more comfortable to hold, better sights, and less ammo sensitive.

OTOH, the P17 is lighter, more compact, and is very reliable and accurate with CCI Mini Mags. I love the easy P17 takedown.

The P17 goes almost everywhere I go.

I plan to keep both, but if I were to buy another of either the TX22 or the P17, it would be the P17, especially if I could get one in green or tan.

As you said "pretty close". My advice, keep both.

As a qualifier, I don't regularly put a lot of rounds thru either one.

One more thing -- the P17 is almost identical in size to my main carry Glock G43.
Agree.. Shot both today. Both are keepers. Took a friend along who put 30 rounds through each and he would have either; yet prefers the TX 22.

Replacement price on the TX 22 would run about $100 more than the Kel-tec. Both are hard to find. For the $100 difference, He would get the Kel-tec. Without a doubt, if you can get a Kel-tec for under $200 do it.

Leaning towards keeping both. Have a curiosity about which will do better over time and like the idea of a rotation. The TX 22 was also my first rimfire and I hate to read posts/threads about the "one" that was sold.

#4 · (Edited)
I'll throw in my .02. I owned one keltec. The firing pin broke the first time I shot it. not the first round, but the first outing. That put a bad taste in my mouth about keltec, makes me think they are junk. Now taurus, Ive owned about 6 taurus units and not one has given me an issue. I have a tx22 currently and its a pretty sweet shooting little gun. Shot about 200 rds through it yesterday. I put a burris fast fire on it and its pretty dang fun to shoot.

#5 ·
I got a TX22 first because they were available. It's a good gun. It has brands of ammo that it doesn't like, but a good number of one's it does. The stock sights, the back sight wouldn't stay sighted in.

When the P17 became available I got one. I like the P17's smaller size and lighter weight. I have found only one ammo it didn't like. I had no problems with the sights or anything else.

If I had to pick one it would be the P17.

#6 ·
Replacement price on the TX 22 would run about $100 more than the Kel-tec. Both are hard to find. For the $100 difference, He would get the Kel-tec. Without a doubt, if you can get a Kel-tec for under $200 do it.
I paid about $180 for my P17 about 9 months ago. Saw a $229 TX22 not long ago in the same LGS (was tempted). In this case, only about $50 difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.