Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Newest Rimfire

3K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Wanderson 
#1 ·
Received my latest little new project gun. HP22A Changed out the recoil spring, Custom Sear Spring & Trigger Return Spring all from M*CARBO. Did the normal clean/lub, fluff and buff and feed ramp polish. Tweaked the mags.. few sharp edges and the lips needed adjustment. Range trip tomorrow!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting. Did not know M*CARBO sold HP22A parts.

Looking forward to report on range trip.

The two HP22A's in my possession have been reliable and surprising accurate.

BTW, there used to be someone on ebay that sold magazine followers that would hold the slide open after the last shot. I bought a couple, and they work well.

#17 ·
HP22A Hold open on last shot.

I made a couple, real simple. works great.
what you will need, center punch
number 43 drill bit
A 4-40 tap
A 4-40 socket head cap screw 1/4 inch long ( found the screw at ACE)

Take the follower out, towards the back of magazine find the center line of the follower, center punch. drill through the body ( make sure its centered between Mag lips) Tap and screw the 4-40 socket head cap screw fit flush to the body of follower.
I moded the slide safety by cutting the ear that fit behind the the mag release,
mags drops out.
test: insert one round in the mag and chamber(be sure you got the firing pin safety on) then pull slide back by hand and the slide will be captured by the 4-40 cap screw, pull back on the slide and push the mod-ed safety into its hold open position
Remove magazine,loaded it reinsert it and push down on safety it will release the slide and strip the cartridge now go shoot. you will like this mod.

To remove follower insert a punch into hole at the base of bottom plate
of magazine remove spring retainer, magazine spring ( remember how all parts came out so that you get it back together) jiggle the follower until you can get it turned at 90° pull it out with tweezers, or surgical hemostats.
I can't post pics a present.

Real simple, works great.

S /SP

#6 ·
With my CZs, Glocks and Springfield's I usually stay at 15 yds...... 12 on a less that real good day for my body. My eyes are not what they use to be along with the rest of my 70 years old body with a multitude of medical problems. My S/A revolvers I am usually at 7-10 yards. Have not competed in many years so it is all for enjoyment , so why not poke holes in the bullseye as much as possible to feel good.

#8 · (Edited)
Ha, just wait until your 70 year old body becomes an 83 year old one. I still shoot pistols at 25 yards but I use a rest to do so as I want to actually hit the target.

I had a Phoenix for a time and it was a great little gun. NO problems what so ever. I found that I was a much better shot using the long barrel instead of the short one. I never did anything to it except put the barrel safety in the off position and disable the mag safety with a little piece of mechanic's wire and depend on the grip safety.

#7 ·
Std. Velocity

Stick to std. velocity ammo, the slides cracking are the most common failure and high velocity ammo will cause that.
Great guns, and excellent value. Even if the slide cracks, in the past Phoenix would replace no cost. Amazes me how bottom tier makers like Phoenix & Hi Point can offer top tier service no questions asked.
Accuracy on mine is just OK but once you learn all the safeties, a really fun reliable gun and a nice all metal pocket rimfire with a decent SA trigger.

#9 ·
I will probably get the 5" barrel later. Funny thing is after the first 20 or so shots I was loading the mag and noticed the adjustable safety. I really do not remember the first one I had having an adjustable safety. After a few adjustments I got to where it sighted in really nice. At 83 I hope to still remember where I hid all my firearms in the house :D

#10 ·
With the 5" barrel, my HP22A accuracy was right up there with my Ruger 22/45, Browning Buckmark, and S&W 22A and was much easier to carry in the field as a backup for my squirrel rifle. I sold the Ruger 22/45, Browning Buckmark, and S&W 22A.

On the other hand I still have a very early (1970) Browning Challenger with which I can consistently hit 4" ceramic tiles at 100 yds. with a good rest.

#11 ·
Well. I haven't misplaced any guns so far but I manage to lose many things----regularly. I just bought a little 9mm with 12 round double stack magazines. I could not get all the rounds in using my thumb so I stared looking for my uplula loader that I haven't had a need for in quite a while. It wasn't to be found. I emptied every box and bag that's concerned with shooting, looked in drawers, cabinets, and safes---twice, to no avail. I gave up and ordered another and I told my wife I would find the old one as soon as the new one arrived. It didn't wait on the new one. I ran across another bag in my jeep yesterday and guess what I found. The missing uplula.

#18 ·
Took the Phoenix Arms Hp22A out to the range today. First time it has been out for months...I still hate putting it back together after cleaning it, but it is a lot of cheap range time fun. The sights will not stay in position...just move left to right and will not tighten down. Ok...just a range toy.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.