CZ 455 project: Which one do first (pillar, glass bed or recrown) - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:07 PM
kevin1

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
CZ 455 project: Which one do first (pillar, glass bed or recrown)

I have a CZ 455 American that is shooting 0.75” at 50 Y. It’s just ok. So, I have decided to use it as a project gun. The idea is to learn things like installing pillars, glass bedding, recrowning, etc…

I saw this on Ebay. There is a guy that does pillars, recrown, work on the bolt for just $130.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CZ-455-Pilla...UAAOSwBLlU3BYV
But that would be the easy way…. I’d like to do one modification at the time to learn and assess the accuracy. It’s more fun and interesting that way. This will be a long-term project. I even envision refinishing the stock at some point (this CZ has a very nice wood). I would never imagine learning these things on my mint SA54. On the other hand, my CZ 455 is perfect for that. I’m very excited.

In your opinion, what is the first thing (project) I need to do with the rifle?

EDIT:
Great....I spelled witch instead of which...and of course you can't modify the title

Last edited by kevin1; 12-03-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:23 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Kind of like auto repair...do the cheapest first. I would recrown.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:32 PM
Code54
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I saw the Ebay listing but my first thought was how do you have a clue if this fellow is a skilled craftsman or some hack that chops on your stuff for practice???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
If you are going to have someone do the work have DJ on here do it. He has done work for me on at least 3 rifles and I am happy with them all. That might even be his Ebay handle....think he is still in NY. I would contact him through RFC.

Last edited by Ledslnger; 12-03-2016 at 08:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-03-2016, 08:45 PM
painterpm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1 View Post
I have a CZ 455 American that is shooting 0.75” at 50 Y. It’s just ok. So, I have decided to use it as a project gun. The idea is to learn things like installing pillars, glass bedding, recrowning, etc…

I saw this on Ebay. There is a guy that does pillars, recrown, work on the bolt for just $130.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CZ-455-Pilla...UAAOSwBLlU3BYV
But that would be the easy way…. I’d like to do one modification at the time to learn and assess the accuracy. It’s more fun and interesting that way. This will be a long-term project. I even envision refinishing the stock at some point (this CZ has a very nice wood). I would never imagine learning these things on my mint SA54. On the other hand, my CZ 455 is perfect for that. I’m very excited.

In your opinion, what is the first thing (project) I need to do with the rifle?

EDIT:
Great....I spelled witch instead of which...and of course you can't modify the title
What's wrong with easy?

If you can get into Duck's queue, and have it fit your time frame...

go for it.

I hear, with a little supervision, he does decent work.

...we really need a laughy smiley.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:09 PM
kevin1

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I’m sure DJ does outstanding work. I have seen many testimonies regarding the quality of his work.

The reason I posted the eBay link was to point out that I’ll go through all this trouble while a guy can get it done for just $130....But the idea is that I want to do it myself and learn from it.

As for the recrown, I'll have to see…That might be the only job I won’t do myself (the tools seems to be a little expensive)
Old 12-03-2016, 09:17 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1 View Post
Iím sure DJ does outstanding work. I have seen many testimonies regarding the quality of his work.

The reason I posted the eBay link was to point out that Iíll go through all this trouble while a guy can get it done for just $130....But the idea is that I want to do it myself and learn from it.

As for the recrown, I'll have to seeÖThat might be the only job I wonít do myself (the tools seems to be a little expensive)
Yeah, that guy can get it done for $130, and it'll be exactly the same as DJ's work, on account of that guy is none other than DJ himself.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:40 AM
drknite

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Exactly right !!! Does great work. For that price you can't go wrong.

Last edited by drknite; 12-04-2016 at 03:43 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:06 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (116)
I would or have someone check the chamber,crown and head-space first and proceed from there
Old 12-04-2016, 05:59 AM
gpd1953

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
why not do the bedding yourself ? I did my Suhl and 452 and both turned out real good . Here is a link to an article telling how to bed and you can also buy a video from him. You can make pillars out of the threaded brass piece used for lamps
http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html. Side note. I got 2 452s from the recent batch from Whittakers . Both shoot extremely well . Just a hunch but I suspect that the tooling used to make the last batch turned out some very accurate guns . Might be a good idea to trade in the 455 for a recently produced 452
Old 12-04-2016, 06:54 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
I'm amazed at some prices Gunsmiths charge, one of the best in NC does crowns where he doesn't have to remove the barrel from the receiver for less than half what I see posted here. Quality, well he builds, shoots and wins at F Class at Butner with his own rifles so must be doing something right, everything he's done for me has been first class.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:42 PM
djdilliodon

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
That is me on eBay. Pillars, upgraded action screws, bolt tweaks, and a recrown for $130 and it includes return shipping. Unfortunately I'm currently booked now and it will most likely be some time before I take on any new work .
Old 12-05-2016, 09:04 PM
MarkBrumbaugh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pillar and bed will do more than anything, and if stress free will eliminate the trial and error on action screw torque. Crown with brass screw and compound. Good DiY projects.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:43 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
Excised the witches...

Good advice above....the re-crown is easy if you have the proper tool, but it's easy to see if you need it. Bedding or pillaging and bedding would be next on the list.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:51 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast View Post
Excised the witches...

Good advice above....the re-crown is easy if you have the proper tool, but it's easy to see if you need it. Bedding or pillaging and bedding would be next on the list.
I've had to give up pillaging, neighbors complained too much.. what would we do for entertainment without autocorrect?

Last edited by chilly807; 12-06-2016 at 05:57 AM.