Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:52 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
shooting w/ glasses - scopes and irons

Had to start wearing low power (+1.25x) cheaters a few years ago. Really need to see a real eye doc and get real glasses soonish I think...

Anyway.... How do you deal with wearing corrective lenses while shooting?
Old 07-31-2021, 09:51 PM
lone gunman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use scopes only

I don't like wearing my glasses if I can help it but if I do I have a pair of Wiley X frames (like safety glasses) with prescription lenses In them with anti-scratch and a ballistic coating I got through my eye doctor. and I use one of those pull-tight straps that attach to arms to secure them to my head so they don't bounce around with each shot.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
One of the reasons i stopped wearing contacts was that you have to wear eye protection when you’re shooting , so I wear my glasses.
The other reason is that with contacts I needed cheaters to read, but could read fine with my glasses. I dont wear bifocals! These will effect your shooting.

Tell the eye dr that youre into shooting, and use scopes and iron sights, and ask how your prescription will work in those circumstances.

My glasses dont impact my shooting.i see the rear sight and front sight on my rifkes and pistols clearly. And on my scopes, well i adjust the reticle so i can see it clearly and then if its ao i use that to focus on the target, if its fixed parallax, i move ny head till its focused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2021, 01:09 AM
JJB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
that's what I did a couple of years ago told dr my problem after I got new glasses took my scope to his office and he made me glasses I could see my scope crosshairs again...…..

jjb

Last edited by JJB; 08-01-2021 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:45 AM
Bradical
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What type of shooting to you do? All types? Hunting and target or just target?

Use in the field can affect how you'd want your shooting glasses set up. This can be very different for just a pair for the range.
Old 08-01-2021, 10:44 AM
National Guard Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Pages and pages could be written on this subject, but the first hurdle is getting in for an eye examination. The next hurdle is trying to find an eye examiner that understands the problems associated with shooting and different focal planes. This is not an easy assignment. I just went in for an eye examination and as a result of a "picture" being taken of the inside of my eye the doctor discovered I have the very beginnings of a cataract in both eyes. Not what I wanted to hear, but not catastrophic either. The good news is this can be corrected relatively easily. If you ask other shooters they should be able to give you names of doctors that know and understand your/our requirements. Finding corrections for rifle and pistol shooting can be complex and require different corrections. It just sucks getting old. I knew I found the right eyeglass professional when he told me to bring my rifle and pistol in so he could obtain his focal plane measurements and not just guess at them. Good luck!

Rick H.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:48 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you are shooting competitively, there are two options: contact lenses or shooting specific frames.

Both have advantages and disadvantages so it becomes a personal decision.

Shooting specific frames allow the lens to be properly positioned in front of the eye. An example of a "mid-level" set: http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...s&item=5020125

Regards,
ken
Old 08-02-2021, 11:13 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
A big problem is that in rifle shooting you are rarely looking through the correction in the lens but, if right handed, the upper inside corner of the lens. There is no correction there unless you have the lens made with it there and there is often distortion! Trying to hold my head on the comb in a twisted position so I look through the lens center is a very hard thing for me to do. And rifle to rifle it may well be a bit different just where you do look through due to head positioning.
If you comfortably sight up and have someone else use a grease pencil to put a dot on the outside of the lens as you are in position you will see (pun intended) what I mean. Btw, on the bench you can rig up the rifle on the front and rear bags so you can sight up and use a pencil yourself to find your spot.
Ive used non-correction glasses for scope use on targets as long as I ensure the ocular is adjusted for me; others dont like looking through my scope if set up that way. Keeps others from using my rifle, lol. For hunting that wont work if you want to be able to see other than on the gun.
For pistol shooting I want to see the front sight clearly even if the rear and target blur somewhat. My arms length single vision computer glasses are the trick for that. My scores and hits went up by about 30% after I figured that out.

Last edited by gcrank1; 08-02-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:51 PM
mwagon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick H. View Post
Pages and pages could be written on this subject, but the first hurdle is getting in for an eye examination. The next hurdle is trying to find an eye examiner that understands the problems associated with shooting and different focal planes. This is not an easy assignment. I just went in for an eye examination and as a result of a "picture" being taken of the inside of my eye the doctor discovered I have the very beginnings of a cataract in both eyes. Not what I wanted to hear, but not catastrophic either. The good news is this can be corrected relatively easily. If you ask other shooters they should be able to give you names of doctors that know and understand your/our requirements. Finding corrections for rifle and pistol shooting can be complex and require different corrections. It just sucks getting old. I knew I found the right eyeglass professional when he told me to bring my rifle and pistol in so he could obtain his focal plane measurements and not just guess at them. Good luck!

Rick H.

Good response, but I will include finding an Optics shop that caters to sports glasses. I wear trifocals (close reading correction, mid distance no correction, far astigma correction) but my shooting glasses are bifocal with the mid to long range view a single correction, the bifocal as small as needed to work at the bench. KM