Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:03 AM
SAM22673

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking For A Lever Action

Who makes the best current production lever action 22lr rifle. My future daughter in law is look at getting my son a gun he wants. He is saving up cabela points, bucks or what ever they are called with their credit card to buy a henry rifle. He hasn't told me which model though. Personally I think a winchester or browning would be better but not sure. I have never owned a lever action.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:16 AM
Ferox34
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Henry, all day long

excellent products, even better customer service, second to none. If you want to get fancy, get a model with an octagon barrel. Be advised the Golden Boy series have different stocks with more "drop". I have 2 Henry's and they are fine shooters and I have received excellent customer service....no problems with the rifles, just cosmetic updates. American made rifles for Americans.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:31 AM
Gasguy
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Henry makes a very good rifle. I have the 24" Frontier and it is an excellent rifle. I have not had any issues with it and prior to it's issuance, I had questions about it that were answered by the President of the company in personal e-mails. Customer Service is premier.
Look at the Henry threads on this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2019, 06:45 PM
Slowalkintexan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Texas' beautiful hill country, Michigan's golden left coast.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Used

I have a nice used lever action 22 in my gun room,, Have to check and see what brand it is....good shooter, I know that,, has a scope..
Old 12-09-2019, 07:16 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
If you insist on new, go with the Henry, the more expensive models totally turn me off with the Gold and Silver plating but if garish looking guns do it for you by all means go for it. If on the other hand a real nice used lever gun will do, go with the 39 as parts for the 9422 could very well be an issue in the future.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:20 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
I would go for the Henry H001. The Goldenboy has way too much drop in the stock for me, let alone a young man. I cheeked one one time, and opened my eyes, and I was looking at the bottom of the hammer where is goes into the receiver. 2" below line of sight, and if a scope would need to be added, I would need to be 3" or more above the stock to see through it. Get the blued model, H001.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:18 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM22673 View Post
Who makes the best current production lever action 22lr rifle. My future daughter in law is look at getting my son a gun he wants. He is saving up cabela points, bucks or what ever they are called with their credit card to buy a henry rifle. He hasn't told me which model though. Personally I think a winchester or browning would be better but not sure. I have never owned a lever action.
When someone asks for “the best”, they usually mean the highest quality.
The highest quality usually has the highest price.

Currently you have 3 options that I know of.

#1 is the Marlin 39A out if the custom shop which is around $3000.

#2 is the Browning BL-22. Some don’t like the short throw lever and the trigger. Mine isn’t bad at all.

#3 is the Henry which is a good value. Some folks consider the Henry, the “best” value.

To me the best isn’t a current production rifle but a used Marlin or Winchester, but you asked for current production. I bought a used, NIB condition Marlin 39A made in the 1970s, at Cabelas a few months ago. I paid $600 OTD. To me, that was a great value.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:48 PM
CamP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm a 9422 fan, but also own a 39A and a 24" Henry Frontier. If buying new, the Henry is the best bang for the buck. If shooting with iron sights, I highly recommend the 24" H001TLB.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:24 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
best is relative.

if he's young where he's "saving" for it, chances are there will be other toys in his future and other times for "saving" for whatever he chooses.

If he gets a henry to learn from, its not bad and its a decent gun to start. Would he want to get a 1K gun to learn and screw up? So, get a henry and go from there.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:00 PM
osbornk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had the Henry basic H001 for years and it has been great. It is the smoothest action I have ever seen and was under $300 new.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:23 PM
GreggieBoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Henry's look like they would be a lot of fun. Too bad I have no space for one in the safe, otherwise ...
Old 12-13-2019, 07:41 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggieBoy View Post
The Henry's look like they would be a lot of fun. Too bad I have no space for one in the safe, otherwise ...
They look good sitting in the corner by the back door, no real need for a safe.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:20 AM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggieBoy View Post
Just do like the rest of us, buy another safe.

Then, of course, you have the fun of making sure it gets filled.......
Old 12-16-2019, 11:21 PM
rem33
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A Henry will be new and come with a lifetime warranty
Old 12-17-2019, 06:59 AM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Well? What was the final decision?