Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:00 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Rottenstone Questions

Hello-
This is one of those times that I really miss George (NOREMF). I learned a technique from George which involves using a slurry of water & Rottenstone to refinish laminate wood stocks that come with a matte finish from the factory. They can be polished to a nice gloss, which also brings out the color in the dyes of the laminate. I have an old can of Behlens Rottenstone that I purchased on his recommendation, but it has been sitting on a garage shelf for approximately seven years and is clumped inside the can- so I’m reluctant to use it. I have two laminate stocks to work.
My problem? I don’t know what grit this is, and I could not find the same product online. The can says “H. Behlen- Rottenstone Tripoli B720-15006”

Would anyone happen to know what grit this stuff is, or what grit is recommended to slurry rub a satin/matte finish laminate stock?

Any information or advice you can provide will be appreciated

DrGunner

Edit- I’ve searched the web, looks like it’s still made under the Behlen name, but it’s out of stock everywhere Except one shop I found in Canada, and they don’t ship across the border.

Anyone know of a suitable alternative? I have lots of experiencing working with this product, so I really want to get the same thing.

Sigh

Last edited by DrGunner; 05-06-2021 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:15 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
ĎOl shooter- yeah, I saw that. Best I could tell, thatís 4F grit, which I CAN find in abundance under the Behlen label. Iím guessing you noticed the discrepancy and then deleted your post between the time I received email notification of your post and now, as I write this...

The Tripoli mix is fine as frog hairs.

Good news, though- I think...
I actually found a place that lists the Behlen Tripoli mix, MohawkProducts.com. They only list a 5lb can, which is probably 3lb more than I will ever use, but the price is right at $21.27 plus shipping. In this case, having the exact right product makes a world of difference between improving vs ruining a finish.
Iíve used this process on many stocks- it takes time and patience to get the working slurry just right. When you do have it just right you can feel the product cutting, but itís imperative to rub gently & let the material do the work. Itís tedious and messy, but the results are outstanding.

I sent them an email to verify that they have it in stock before I place an order. I figure I will divide it out into ten 1/2 pound cans, put 4 on a back shelf somewhere, put one in a shaker can for immediate use and put up the other 5 in the Pay it Forward forum. Iíll post back here when I get a reply from the vendor.