Learning to shoot again - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-02-2021, 06:04 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Learning to shoot again

Had the covid last winter, lost 2 months of my life and dang near died of it, the issue was in doubt for a few days. Have been SLOWLY recovering, Doc sent me to physical therapy/rehab as almost all of my strength had gone away, have been doing some simple exercises and seems to be helping. Still very short-winded and weak. Anyway, talking with the PT guy a few days ago, lamented to him that I had lost almost all my ability to shoot due to weakness, etc, he told me to go shoot anyway in hopes that it would come back.

I have a regulation 10 meter airgun range in my basement along with an FWB300s target gun, iron sights, and a Beeman R-8 sporter with a Beeman 3x9 scope set at 9x. Shot for the 4th times this evening and saw a little improvement. With the FWB, it is just about too heavy right now , a little over 12 pounds, but I will keep trying. Being short winded, I can only hold my breath for about 6 seconds before the target disappears out of the front sight and everything goes grey, even though I have the largest aperture in. It's from my eye running out of oxygen. Also , pretty shakey, I can only get a decent sight picture for 2-3 seconds and it drifts out into left field.

With the Beeman , I can do fairly well as it is a lighter rifle and has the scope.

My goal so far is to be able to reliably put 10 shots in the black on the 10 meter target, tonight I got 8 with the FWB and the Beeman both, which is progress as I was only getting 3-4 when I started.

Being 80 years old doesn't help, I'm sure. Beats the alternative. Glad our club has a weekly .22 benchrest shoot, I'll do a lot better at that.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:25 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Sorry to hear about the health problems. I wish all the best punching the "X".

Mals
Old 05-02-2021, 06:41 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
Being short winded, I can only hold my breath for about 6 seconds before the target disappears out of the front sight and everything goes grey, even though I have the largest aperture in. It's from my eye running out of oxygen.
12#rifle offhand? Thats some good exercise there ole timer.
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2021, 06:58 PM
STRUGL4X'SC

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
12lb rifle is hard for me offhand too,good to see you practicing offhand again, practice with the lighter of your rifles and hopefully build your strength back to the heavy rifle.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2021, 07:01 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Hang in there Sarge, it gets better slowly...
Old 05-02-2021, 07:07 PM
mdew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Small steps lead to large strides. Keep shooting sir.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:46 PM
LRB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyork View Post
...I have a regulation 10 meter airgun range in my basement along with an FWB300s target gun, iron sights,...
I just love inspirational threads jnyork!

Get well soon Sir!

I recently bought a Crosman 1377 pistol and set up a makeshift target range in my cabin just for some plinking fun...and it is!
Old 05-02-2021, 08:45 PM
Rhody
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You are headed in the right direction. You will get there! Your willingness to succeed is a powerful tool. Keep at it!

R
Old 05-02-2021, 09:12 PM
vet6771

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Patience and persistence, sir. So glad you are on the mend. Try building up slowly and don't rush your recovery. Take little steps at first and then larger ones. Being 80 and having suffered a severe case of COVID is enough to knock the strength out of anyone, but you are improving. Don't let the body discourage the mind. We'll say a prayer for you.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:18 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
R8 is a nice one. I had one briefly years ago and being on a power trip I traded it off on a bigger badder more powerful rifle. Dumbass move. Young and foolish I was.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:13 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe start a virtual class, blog, forum, or something, to help other geezers get back into shape and Be all the best they can be, that their old bones will let them be.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:18 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think it's good you're shooting springers; good upper body exercise.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:15 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You are an inspiration. It's tough to come back from an illness but as long as you try you can succeed. Seems like you are getting better. Eight out of ten in the black is good shooting for the short time you've been able to try again. Keep it up.

I love hearing about people that overcome their problems.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:22 AM
toivo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I wish you all the best in your recovery. I've always enjoyed reading your posts, as well as learning from them. Glad to hear that you're on the mend.

I'm about to move to a house that has a basement, unlike the one I currently occupy. It's actually the house I grew up in, which I inherited when my mother passed on. I intend to set up a basement range there. Is there a postal league for airgunning?
Old 05-03-2021, 09:53 AM
Fuzzy Limey

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fuzzy Limey
Well Sarge ... although I don't have your breathing problems, some 6-7 years ago, I found that, due to multiple physical and neurological conditions affecting my ability to safely maintain a sound Offhand - and to some extent also, the Sitting and Kneeling stances, was severely limited. Over a period of time, and lots of intermediate experimenting with various shooting stick/seat devices, I settled on the use of a Rollator with added removable shooting bench - (2 elbows ON for Prone , 1 elbow ON for Sitting/Kneeling, and NO elbows ON for Offhand). It took a year or so, but after much haggling with the NRA, CMP and various Mediical bodies I was able to obtain official Handicapped status for formal competition.

Just a thought !

Fuzzy