Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-23-2021, 07:09 AM
citation
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
RWS Rifle Match vs Wolf Match Extra

Its a long story but I just opted to receive 5000 rounds of RWS Rifle Match in lieu of waiting (for who knows how long) for Wolf Match Extra. A bird in the hand thought here. I will use this as off-hand ammo at 50 yards. It will not be bench rested and will not be shot at 100 yards. My thought is that there should be negligible difference between the two under these circumstances. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Further, my personal observation of the Wolf was that it was some what dirty. What is the general consensus on this particular subject as well, between these two ammos?
Old 02-23-2021, 08:28 AM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What size are your normal off hand groups at 50 yards with the wolf match extra?
Old 02-23-2021, 09:25 AM
1813benny

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In my experience, RES ammo was one of the cleanest of all .22 SV offerings.

As to accuracy equivalency vs Wolf, only your rifle can answer your question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2021, 09:53 AM
tominboise

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've had good accuracy with both in my rifles, so I would take the RWS no problem.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:21 PM
Noknot

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I never had any luck with any RWS brand that Ive used. The old Wolf ammo worked well in all my guns, dont know since, I believe Eley took over.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:28 PM
letrappes
Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The old Wolf MT was the same as SK Standard Plus as far as I've read. My rifle used to really like Wolf MT and I have a bunch but was worried for when it runs out. I tried some SK Standard Plus last year and it shot identical as far as I could tell so I bought a bunch of that as well.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:19 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have also read that the Wolf Match EXTRA is the same as SK Rifle Match.

Well, I recently bought a brick of each and the Wolf Match Extra was far superior to SK Rifle Match. The Rifle Match was the worst brick of SK ammo I ever had. Prior to 2020, the stuff was phenomenal in my rifles. Wolf Match Extra has run well no matter what.. Pre and post Eley.

I have not had much luck with RWS in my Kidd rifles.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:23 PM
Noknot

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadaBing11 View Post
I have also read that the Wolf Match EXTRA is the same as SK Rifle Match.

Well, I recently bought a brick of each and the Wolf Match Extra was far superior to SK Rifle Match. The Rifle Match was the worst brick of SK ammo I ever had. Prior to 2020, the stuff was phenomenal in my rifles. Wolf Match Extra has run well no matter what.. Pre and post Eley.

I have not had much luck with RWS in my Kidd rifles.

I guess its true what they say about different guns like different ammo. Mine are just the opposite. I have an Anschutz, two Cz 452 Americans, Tikka T1X and Savage and they all love the SK Rifle Match. Thats all I buy.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:29 PM
BadaBing11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All my rifles used to shoot SK Rifle Match exceptionally well . I too was to the point where that was all I bought . I got into one brick that was terrible. The next one wasnít much better than CCI SV.

Iím hoping itís a pandemic related quality slide. It was my favorite for a long time .

Sorry for the thread drift.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:43 PM
Topstrap44

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'll share a bit of what I've seen at my matches over the years and a bit of testing of the two ammos. The old Wolf ammo was the ammo of choice for quite a while but no one had any luck with it after Eley started making it. I've had shooters switch in the middle of a match after trying it and seeing the poor grouping the farther they shot.

I tried the RWS and it shot decent but not as good as the old Lapua Wolf. From what you said about target sizes and shooting offhand either ammo should work. Nowadays we have to shoot what we can get.

Topstrap
Old 02-24-2021, 08:17 AM
citation

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topstrap44 View Post
I'll share a bit of what I've seen at my matches over the years and a bit of testing of the two ammos. The old Wolf ammo was the ammo of choice for quite a while but no one had any luck with it after Eley started making it. I've had shooters switch in the middle of a match after trying it and seeing the poor grouping the farther they shot.

I tried the RWS and it shot decent but not as good as the old Lapua Wolf. From what you said about target sizes and shooting offhand either ammo should work. Nowadays we have to shoot what we can get.

Topstrap
Thanks topstrap....and everyone else. I'm quite happy with my decision to take the bird in the hand and I still have a $100+ credit for the difference in price of the two. I did, however, have it shipped with it to be held at UPS for pickup. Don't want another case "walking off" after UPS "delivery".