Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-01-2020, 09:41 PM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast View Post
Ooh, a cleaning thread! Such fun!!

Personally, I break in and clean 17 caliber rifles like a centerfire. Jacketed bullets and higher velocity, I think breaking it these barrels is helpful.

With a 22LR, I clean it initially and shoot it. And shoot it and shoot it and shoot it. If I"m shooting it every month, it will get cleaned when the groups become patterns.
Me, too, except I'm still waiting for one to turn to "patterns."

I would clean more often but I can't afford all the ammo it takes to get the accuracy back.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:17 AM
KeisiMekaigo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe you don't need to remove the traces of lead and lube. But residues from powder burning are not "barrel-friendly". So I remove them with four or five patches just when I have finish to use the rifle.
A first class cleaning, with a brush, etc, ... when I think accuracy drops.
And, of course, cleaning a gun before using it for the first time is a healthy habit, that can prevent a serious accident.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:24 AM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkymoore View Post
clean it when you start to loose accuracy .cleaning does more damage than shooting I would highly recommend bore snake .CZS barrels are so tight you can damage it also get a bore rod and graphite cleaning rod for running patches ,I ruined my 455 barrel 1st day cleaning with a Dewey rod
How can you damage a .214 bore with a .204 rod? Please explain how the barrel was ruined.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:57 AM
Beerdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking What type oil in your car

Glad to read these post on rifle cleaning. It reminds me of the post on an automobile or motorcycle forum about what oil do you use. Someone always post another one after there have been 100 already. On motor oil the post are mostly unscientific wives tales. Especially when you bring up synthetic oil. Now that I've read the gun cleaning post...I remember my favorite one is "I like my firearm like I like my women, a little dirty". Or written in the dust on the back window of a truck that's been down a dirt road: "If you think this is dirty you should see my girlfriend."
I think I'll go have a beer on the back porch, and pet my rifle.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerdog View Post
Glad to read these post on rifle cleaning. It reminds me of the post on an automobile or motorcycle forum about what oil do you use. Someone always post another one after there have been 100 already. On motor oil the post are mostly unscientific wives tales. Especially when you bring up synthetic oil. Now that I've read the gun cleaning post...I remember my favorite one is "I like my firearm like I like my women, a little dirty". Or written in the dust on the back window of a truck that's been down a dirt road: "If you think this is dirty you should see my girlfriend."
I think I'll go have a beer on the back porch, and pet my rifle.

I always clean new rifles thoroughly, to remove all manufacturing oils/grease/metal bits in the bore. Many guns come with a brownish "grease" that's intended to prohibit rust, not lubricate moving parts....if you shoot the gun new before cleaning you can "cook" that brown stuff onto the metal. Better to start clean, then foul the barrel with some shots down the tube.

I break all barrels in with:
1) Clean when new(or bought used).
2) Run wet patch down after 5 shots
3) Run wet patch after 20 shots
4) Clean barrel completely, and shoot till the end of season before storage.
5) All copper clad bullets will foul the barrel and destroy accuracy at some point...I use Gunslick foaming barrel cleaner, allow to sit in barrel for 15 minutes,,,,then fully remove and patch with light oil.

A clean gun always shoots differently as it slowly continues to foul the bore, a semi "dirty" bore always shoots the same POI.