Ruger American Rimfire Compact vs. Savage B17 F Compact - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-30-2020, 12:28 AM
airplanek8

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger American Rimfire Compact vs. Savage B17 F Compact

Hey guys,

So Im considering buying a 17HMR entry rifle and I've narrowed it down to the RAR17 Compact and the Savage B17F Compact due to aesthetics and reliability based on reviews. I would be getting the 18" barrel versions of either (compacts). I'm leaning towards the nice modern look of the Savage and the fact it has a smooth barrel with no iron-sights (I would remove sights from Ruger). I'd like to use the for target practice from 75-150 yards with a 3-12x 40 to 50mm scope.

What are your experiences with these rifles?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 08-01-2020, 06:15 PM
sansarcroad
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I chose the B17 and it has served me well. I have had no problems with feeding, firing or ejection. I am still trying different types of ammunition to see what it likes best, but have not been disappointed.

I am sure the RAR17 is a good gun, but my experience with a RAR22 with a threaded muzzle put me off them. The crown was never finished, shots were all over the place and after I paid to ship it back they destroyed it and sent me a different gun which I then sold.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:04 PM
airplanek8

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's awesome! I did a bit more searching and decided to go with the modern look of the B17. I had a RAR 22LR which kept giving me pinpoint accuracy and no failures. I sold it a while ago because of the limited range. I did notice my wrist would get fatigued with the angle of the grip, which is supposedly more vertical and ergonomic on the B17. I also like the fact that the magazine is smooth and does not have the protruding lever from the RAR.

I noticed some people complaining about the barrel of the B17 not being completely free floated due to the cradle under the barrel. Are you experiencing this issue?

Thanks again!