Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Let's See Your Through the Scope Pics!

117K views 167 replies 61 participants last post by  peyton 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys there's a ton of questions on clarity, reticle style, etc... etc... that I think could be helped with a thread like this.

So here's what we need. Some really good quality through the scope pictures.

I'd say if you can do them at 50 and 100 yards in both min and max magnification, since these seem to be the most common ranges. Though farther would be good as well.

Also a breakdown of scope brand, model, and reticle style so that we know what we're looking at.

I know its not perfect and that you wont get a perfect impression of how clear the glass is but it should be good enough to give people an idea.

So what say you guys? Anyone wanna start?

#53 ·
Those look nice... especially the one at 16x. :bthumb:

It can be tricky and sometimes and I try to use the buttstock to steady hand, but it still often takes several shots before I get a good one just from moving too much.

By the way... I like that reticle. :)

#54 · (Edited)
The Burris 3P#4 otherwise know as the German #4 in their Mini 4x20mm at around 50 yards.

Leupold's Post & Duplex which is basically a heavy Duplex missing the top post like the G#4. This is in a Leupold 3x20mm at around 50 yards.

Leupold German #4 in their 2.5x20mm also at around 50 yards...

well that's what they currently calling this reticle, but it's really a German #4e as there used to be three types which are explained a little more in my thread "Post reticles and variations of the German #4 that Premier Reticles used to offer" which can be found in the "Parallax and Other Info" section >here<.

Keep em' coming! :t

#55 ·
First ever attempt way back when. 3.5-10x50 Leo VX-III illum on a Rem 700 25-06. I wasn't concerned at the time with illum as I couldn't even see the x-hairs in the camera. Suffice to say my Leos dim down to almost nothing in the pitch blackest of nights with no washout of target animals.
3.5x @ 13 paces

S'all I got JEE until I get the hang of the new camera. ;)

#58 · (Edited)
Thanks for posting hookembevo! :)

Nice looking rig and peek through the scope! :t

Here's a look at the Clearidge Duplex/dot reticle (much like Weaver's Varminter reticle) from their XP 4.5-14x at 100 yards on 14x.

I had it on my CZ 452 Varmint in .17 hmr...

...but I've since moved it to one of my Savage MKII's.

Keep 'em coming! :bthumb:

#59 ·
Another Post & Crosshair... or should I say Picket-post & Crosshair since this post is much like a German #1. This is in an Universal 4x that I put on one of my nephews rifles... approx 50 yards.

I'm reaching the bottom of barrel in my archives. :eek:

Please keep 'em coming in you can! :)

#62 ·
From our recent "sucker match" - we shoot dum dum lolipops at 25 and 50 yards, Here they are at 50 yards (a dum dum is 3/4") thru my Simmons WTC 6.5-20x50 scope set on 20x, with the AO set to 50 yards.

I need 5 hands to get the rifle lined up, hold the iPhone (just held lens to scope), aim properly, and fire, but I want to get a movie of a 'pop busting.

#63 ·
Thanks for posting! :bthumb:

I need 5 hands to get the rifle lined up, hold the iPhone (just held lens to scope), aim properly, and fire, but I want to get a movie of a 'pop busting.
I hear that.

I was wondering what a hit on one of those lolly pops would look like.

Anyway... this was recently posted in the other thread... I may have to get one of these. :)
Here is another product.

#65 · (Edited)
Thanks for posting. :)

Any trickier taking a pic through it at a higher magnification like 45x or even 60x?... as compared to say 36x?

Here's a 1/4 dot reticle at approx. 50 yards on 16x from a Weaver V16.

...and another dot this one 3/4 at the same distance from a Weaver T16 which I foolishly sold... these are hard to find anymore.

Keep em' coming folks! :bthumb:

#66 ·
This is a pic at approximately 100 yards or a little more through an older Simmons 3x9x40 Prohunter scope set on 9x. It is a phillipine made model. It sits atop my 10-22.

This is the same view through my Vortex Diamondback 2x7x35 scope set on 7x. It sits atop my 9422 WMR.

Both pics are from inside my house. I opened up my window but this is still through the screen.

#67 ·
Any trickier taking a pic through it at a higher magnification like 45x or even 60x?... as compared to say 36x?
The smaller the exit pupil, the tougher the shot. It was actually easier to get a photo with the March at 45x52mm than the Leupold at 36x40mm (their EPs are very close at those settings), but when I cranked the March up to 60x indoors it was almost impossible. It also helps to have lots of sunlight right on that bright white target.

It usually takes me three or four tries to get those photos just right... my strategy is to try a couple different settings, without any zoom or flash, and then take several photos and hope one turns out.

#68 ·
The smaller the exit pupil, the tougher the shot. It was actually easier to get a photo with the March at 45x52mm than the Leupold at 36x40mm (their EPs are very close at those settings), but when I cranked the March up to 60x indoors it was almost impossible. It also helps to have lots of sunlight right on that bright white target.

It usually takes me three or four tries to get those photos just right... my strategy is to try a couple different settings, without any zoom or flash, and then take several photos and hope one turns out.
Thanks. :)

Yeah the 2.5x and 4x scopes were a lot easier than the 16x and 24x scopes and I figured that 45x would be a little tougher, just didn't know by how much. I guess that my question is kind of silly in a sense as I imagine that it's one of those things you'd have to try yourself to get a feel of how much more difficult it really is.

I'm in the same boat on the tries and it usually takes me several to get a good pic. ;)

#69 ·
Mueller 8.5-25x Tactical indoors at 50 yards, aimed at two 8.5x11 sheets of paper stapled together (with 50 .22 bullet holes in them).

At 8.5x

25x

Not the best clarity or focus, but I did shoot some extremely small groups with that scope today.

#70 ·
Mueller 8.5-25x Tactical indoors at 50 yards, aimed at two 8.5x11 sheets of paper stapled together (with 50 .22 bullet holes in them).

At 8.5x

25x

Not the best clarity or focus, but I did shoot some extremely small groups with that scope today.
can any one tell me what magnification to use to properly use the mill dots,,, if you notice here there not the same at different levels of zoom

#75 ·
on any scope cause most only go to 9
It's going to vary per scope.

Most manufacturers choose to have the mil-dots to be spaced correctly at max power, but some like Mueller, Bushnell, and Clearidge choose a mid power.

Mil-dots correctly sized at higher powers can be rather larger and some folks don't like that, but that's not necessarily their reason for doing so.

Here's a pic that I modified from SWFA to roughly show what a mil-dot reticle would look like sized correctly at 10x/14x/25x (the original was from a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x).

Most 9x scopes with mil-dots are going to be correct at 9x or not correct at all, which can be sometimes be seen with cheap scopes where they might have used a reticle that was correct for 10x (which is the power that the original mil-dot was based on if I recall) or they were not concerned with it being correct, just how cheap they could make it. Not referring to the Mueller.

#77 ·
It's going to vary per scope.

Most manufacturers choose to have the mil-dots to be spaced correctly at max power, but some like Mueller, Bushnell, and Clearidge choose a mid power.

Mil-dots correctly sized at higher powers can be rather larger and some folks don't like that, but that's not necessarily their reason for doing so.

Here's a pic that I modified from SWFA to roughly show what a mil-dot reticle would look like sized correctly at 10x/14x/25x (the original was from a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x).

Most 9x scopes with mil-dots are going to be correct at 9x or not correct at all, which can be sometimes be seen with cheap scopes where they might have used a reticle that was correct for 10x (which is the power that the original mil-dot was based on if I recall) or they were not concerned with it being correct, just how cheap they could make it. Not referring to the Mueller.
does that scope zoom in on the cross hairs like that or am i missing something