Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

1913/Picatinny/Weaver Rails vs. Dovetail for Mounting; Dovetail less Durable?

314 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Toomany22s 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

After a lot of experience in centerfire rifles (NRA High Power shooter since I was a teenager), powerful handguns, and shotgunning, I am now just beginning to try and remedy my embarrassing ignorance of rimfire equipment and practice. I am right now setting up my 1 and only rimfire rifle (a Savage 64 that my wife absolutely loved when she saw it and so we snapped it up), and I hope to be able to find a receiver-mounted rear aperture sight that will work with the rifle. I plan to use a skinner extra-tall .750" front blade, which I hope will be tall enough to work with a few different Tech Sights options.

Dovetails are totally new to me, and it strikes me that dovetail mounting of sighting devices (scope, reflex, iron aperture) is inherently insecure, as there is no crossbar that would prevent even a very tightly-attached sight or scope ring to move forward or backward, either under recoil, or from rough handling.

Am I wrong on this, or are dovetails inherently less secure and rugged a mounting system as something like a 1913 rail?

I am already learning so much from you good people, and I can't wait to be educated more!
:)

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.