Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

First look at a Viridian Eon 4.5-14x50 scope

4K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Kragman 
#1 ·
For $65 shipped from Amazon I thought I'd give it a try, thinking rimfire all the way.
Let me just say that (without shooting it) I'd give it 3 stars, and why thats a good thing:
- it has a good combination of features (good mag range, AO to under 20 yards, 1/8" medium height finger adjustable turrets, modest crosshair thickness, IR).
- All the controls feel fine, especially the turret adjustments.
- Image is pretty sharp, but while it is quite clear in the center it loses clarity as you move to the edges. I could very clearly resolve thin, bare tree branches at 150 to 200 yards, using the center. I'm confident that I'd be able to see .22 holes in paper at 100 so long as it wasnt a dark colored target, sitting in shade.
- Pretty good in low light too. I was surprised.

I noticed that the turret bodies have 3 set screws holding them in place, and that mine was drilled a little off, making the adjustment body sit at a little angle.
Its cosmetic, and when I mentioned it to their CS rep (I wanted to know if they are springer airgun safe. They are not.) she immediately offered to swap it for a new one. I declined, as its no big deal to me. But I liked the way the rep first got back to me next day with the answer to my question, and then instantly backed their product when I mentioned the turrets.

So you're not paying for quality construction or quality glass, but I can't call it junk. I think the glass will be a non-issue because the part you use was just fine, and that's what matters.
You do get good turrets, magnification and AO. You don't get a reticle choice (and I want a better reticle).

They also have an Eon 4-12x42 that may have less "donut" effect simply by the virtue of having a smaller diameter objective lens.

Bottom line is that its a cheap scope that seems like a good scope. Only time will tell if it actually is good.

See less See more
#3 ·
One last thing - I just compared this to an older Intensity Optics 3.8-12x44 AO...

The Intensity is tight and smooth with good clicks, and reminds me of the older Philippine made Nikons.

The Viridian isnt as tight. Its not loose at all but seems like it would wear loose a lot sooner than the Intensity. It is smooth, and while both have perfectly good clicks I would give the esge to the Viridian.

The Intensity has better glass. Not like my goid stuff but pretty nice. Resolving sticks at 150 on the AO was easy and crisp.

So, until I test the tracking I still think the Viridian is a good scope for $65. Good for a budget build, etc. Not something to dump your Leupolds for.

#4 ·
Sounds like one of those scopes you recommend to someone, who you know is only going to casually, shoot, and not get very involved with shooting as a hobby. There's nothing wrong with that, i have friends who hunt, who maybe hit the range once or twice a year, and they aren't going to shill out $100 plus for a scope they rarely use.

#5 ·
Pretty much, although I really think of it as a rimfire scope for people who understand why AO is important for a rimfire but dont want to pay the usual AO scope price. Plus I think scopes in the 4-12 range are great for rimfire so having a little extra magnification is fine with me.
I would probably buy their 4-12 for the smaller front bell if I were doing it again.

Its just another Chinese contract scope, but the one I have seems to be made pretty decently. Once I get to test the tracking I'll know if its actually a good scope. Looks like it will be a while though.

#6 ·
Got this to the range yesterday and heres what I can say -
I still think its a decent AO scope for a rimfire "fun gun". But its no target scope.

The good:
No problems with the AO or the turret adjustments. I didnt shoot the box or otherwise test tracking as I burned that time fooling around with another gun, but it dialed what it should have dialed while I was sighting in. And it was consistent enough for me to shoot a 1/8" 5 shot group at 50 yards so I'd say it holds zero at least for rimfire.

The bad:
I shot at 10X, because I couldn't quite get the detail I was looking for at 14X (max). I still think that the glass is pretty good for a $60 scope, but I was also looking through a nice old Tasco 24X and a good Millett scope. They were both much better and kinda spoiled me against using a bargain scope like the Viridian.

#7 ·
If it's not a target scope then what would be the purpose for anyone to own one? Your not going to trust a $60 generic scope for a hunting rifle. So if it's not good for shooting targets IMO it's pretty much worthless.

Nothing against you, I thought you did a good review of the scope.

#8 ·
I hear you Nick.
So, its a little hard to place but I wouldn't write it off. Seems like a good cheap scope that would be used for fun, not competition.
If you wanted an AO scope that didn't break the bank to go on your $99 Marlin 60, or that $150 10-22 you just scored, this could really do it for you.
But its not staying on that CZ of mine. That rifle clearly deserves a proper target scope.
If I could swing a good Meopta I could see it going on that 455. Right now the leader in my mind is a Burris FF2 6-18x50 with their ballistic mildot reticle. Still looking but I compare everything to that.

#9 ·
If your looking for a good scope for fairly cheap you should check out the Vortex Crossfire II 6-18×. One of the most underrated scopes for the $ IMHO. Nice clear glass through the full power range, AO that goes below 10 yards, and the Vortex VIP warranty. They are available with 3 different reticles. The V-plex which is basically just a crosshair reticle, BDC, and V-Brite which is my favorite. The first 2 you can find pretty easily new for well under $200, while the V-Brite is a little more but you can still find them for around $200 new.

#10 ·
Its been on my short list. I have an old straight 6X Crossfire (not a "II") that is a real surprise, so I'm optimistic about the brand.

I want to try to compare it to a Burris FF2 6.5-20 because they are roughly the same money.
Plus I'd like to know more about Athlon, Hawke and some of the less expensive Bushnell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.