Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Adding an additional optic on a scope on a 10-22

834 views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  DrGunner 
#1 ·
I am wanting to add a small reflex sight to my scope on my 10-22 for up close shots. I can see these on all kinds of competition rifles, on top or on the side, but I can't find any discussion or mounts. I guess I don't know what to search for. No competition, just up close shots, snakes or the occasional varmint that appears a few steps in front of you. I don't want to change my base, maybe just a ring of some sort on the scope tube with a short picatinny rail. I this even feasible or practical? Help please

#6 · (Edited)
Depends on the size of the scope. I don't think the ocular end would be a problem but the objective could obstruct it possibly if it is a fairly large scope. I agree it would be kinda high from the bore but I think it would be ok for quick snap shots that don't have to be 100% accurate. There is also the option of using a ring with a side rail but that would pose the same problem with the objective. That's why you usually see this setup on tactical style weapons with low variable power scopes because that have a pretty small objective.

#7 · (Edited)
It's a VX II 4-12x40 AO with a 1 inch tube. It is just a passing thought. When you are walking and spot a cotton mouth, copperhead, or worse Mr. rattler they are usually within a few feet. And believe it or not when you are squirrel hunting with a dog and you are under the tree looking, you may find the fox squirrel just a few feet up the tree looking back at you, You have maybe 1 second and you better not miss. We all know how hard it is to shoot something in the head with a scope when the target is too close. I have always compensated and done pretty good but I keep seeing these competition or tactical weapons with one mounted usually on the side of the scope. I already have a good sight and I figured, why not. I checked out the ebay link furnished by Nick and I think I will order one. As I say, why not. Might work, might not. You guys probably need something to laugh at anyway!

#8 · (Edited)
Oops i meant objective :eek: but thats me, butt backwards. :bthumb:

But if ya got one of those debelled scopes , they are usually pretty low magnification , so shooting closE shouldn’t be a problem . Unless you got it on a serious moa rail, pointed below the bore axis, for long range sooting, but then the reflex sight Mounted on the ring would have the same problem.

Im beginning to think , that the reflex on the top Of the scope isn’t for shooting close up, but rather for shooting further. Im so confused:eek:

#11 ·
bucko- what type of rail do you have?

I wanted to do the same on my AR; I ended up using a low profile 45 degree offset picatinny mount and putting a Burris FF3 on it, mounted to the rail between the scope rings. Easy to use, and fits nice & tight between the scope tube and receiver.
Depending on the rail and rings you're using, it could work on a 10-22.

Here's the low profile 45 degree offset mount I used:

https://www.amazon.com/WOLTIS-Picat...ount&qid=1596762492&sprefix=45+degree+&sr=8-6

Hope this helps-

DrGunner

#12 ·
I can take pics & post later if that would help, but if you click on the link I posted, it’s pretty self explanatory. Mounting to the receiver is far superior to clamping something to the scope tube. I zeroed mine at 15 yards, but it’s worked on 20 foot shots. Mounting on top of the scope is a bad idea, you want the optic closer to the bore axis.

DrGunner

#15 ·
Thanks Dr. Gunner, that is exactly what I am looking for. I was actually hung up with attaching something to the scope anyway and I really don't want it on top. I can't see any reason that the idea won't work for hunting applications unless it is just totally in the way. By the way it is a total KIDD with a KIDD receiver and rail with either medium or low Zee rings with a Leupold VX II 4-12x40 AO LR with a 1" tube in a sporter stock. Thanks again.

#16 · (Edited)
:bthumb::D

Also- I'd have to say I prefer the Truglo mount IF there's enough clearance between the scope tube and the rail, since it has a better designed clamping system.
While the Woltis mount is lower profile, it locks to the rail using two little Allen set screws which could scratch the rail.
I prevented that by cutting a small strip of clear plastic acetate material from a store display package and interposing it between the set screws and the rail to protect the black anodized surface of the rail. It worked like a charm.
I initially mounted mine on the right, but soon realized that I didn't want it on the ejection port side because of the smoke & powder from the ejection port. I moved it to the left, which solved the fouling problem, but then I found I had to rotate
the rifle 90 degrees to sight with my dominant right eye.
My final solution was to mount it on the right, and keep the rubber dust cover on it when I'm shooting multiple rounds.

#17 ·
Thanks again Dr. Gunner. First hand info is the best and hard to come by. I shoot suppressed so the fouling will be greater. I will just have to experiment I guess. One more question please, do you find it better for the optic to be closer or farther away from your eye?

#18 ·
I found it best moved further away, at the far end of the rail just behind the distal scope ring. The FF3 has a 3MOA dot, so it's easy to see.
Bear in mind, if you're out hunting, you'll want that dot lit up all the time, so it's there when you need it. Carry a spare battery and tool to replace it in the field.

Post back how it works out-

DrG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.