Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x33 EFR

10K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  dbr65 
#1 ·
Looking for some feedback on the newer Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x33 EFR. Looking for a good scope to put on my CZ 457 American.
Anyone have any pros/cons for this new version versus the older VX1 or VX2?

#2 ·
Mostly an aesthetics issue for me. The Freedom version just has a block-ier, tactical look I don't care for, and the turret knob covers feel very cheap. Optically, I have absolutely no complaints. I put one on a FWB 300 Jr, and that thing focuses down to less than 10'. Hard to imagine a better scope for a precision air rifle or a nice .22 sporter.

TBR

#3 ·
I was/am a big fan of the VX-2 3-9x EFR and have several of them. I now also have one of the VX-Freedom 3-9x EFRs. Optically, I believe it to be as good as (a tad better?) than the VX-2. But as TBR said, it is not nearly as elegant to look at with that clunky block-shape. And while they both have finger-adjustable elevation and windage, I think I prefer the adjustments on the VX-2. If you can't find a VX-2 EFR in VG condition, and can tolerate the aesthetics of the VX-Freedom EFR, I think you'll be happy with the performance of the new model. And the price is reasonable too. :)

Oh, and welcome to RFC!

Doug

#4 ·
I was curious about the same thing. Leupold hasn’t done a great job letting their customers know how the new scopes compare to the old ones. The VX-2 EFR are almost impossible to find at a reasonable price.

It looks like I will buy a Freedom version.

Thanks for the input.

#5 · (Edited)
The VX-2 EFR are almost impossible to find at a reasonable price.
True. I sold my VX-2 for $549 and that was a better deal than a few sellers were offering. Some people who want one, really want one. :)

In my side-by-side comparisons with other quality scopes, I find them to be okay optically, but not special enough to justify the premium price. They have a wider field of view than some competitors, and I think that makes a positive impression on people. But to my eyes, the optical quality (clarity and resolution) is lower than that of the also-discontinued Burris Timberline 4.5-14x32, for example. And they look nice, which may be their biggest draw for some.

#6 · (Edited)
In the end, unfortunately, the Freedom version is much less tactical looking than most scopes being marketed today, so maybe I should be more accepting...well, I did buy one, and I actually really like it, except for the relatively minor aesthetics of the ocular lock ring, the power ring, the turret shape, and the graduations and markings on the elevation and windage knobs. From the turret forward, it appears the same...so, only the tail-end looks bad. Not a half bad scope :D
View attachment 224717

View attachment 224719

View attachment 224721

TBR

#7 ·
You might look at the mark ar mod 1 line. I have read that it is the same glass as vx2. It has adjustable objective and can be had in 3-9x or 4-12x flavors. I have a couple of the 4-12x and love them. The turrets are graduated in .1 mils and mine have a fine duplex. They can be easily had for $250-275. Just a thought.

#11 ·
I really don't like the "tacticool" look of the Freedom scopes, especially the flat topped turret caps. So I sent an email to Leupold Customer Service and told them that and they responded by sending me a set of matte caps from another scope that have a more normalish look with a little rounding on the top and way smaller serrations on the side. They fit perfect and change the look of the scope to something more traditional.

#13 ·
The Freedom version is better optically than the mid 90"s version, which is old Vari-I quality.

I missed out on the VX-2 before they discontinued them.

Can't say I like the looks of the blocky turret housing of the Freedom series, but the clicks are an improvement over my old one. Like everything else, cheaper is the way.

I'd love an updated Compact 6X AO. Had a little more ring spacing and fit Kimber rimfires and 84's like it was made for them.

#17 ·
TBR’s comment got me to thinking. All these tacticool scopes are what today’s shooters are buying. The rifle’s they buy to put them on are also considerably different than the ones of figured walnut and polished blue that most of us old timers aspire to.
I just got an email ad from a major online retailer, only one rifle in the whole ad had a very plain wood stock, every thing else was synthetic and all the metal parts, steel and otherwise had the rough matte finish. I don’t think I’m going to change what I collect and shoot but it does mean that simple choices of the past are now additional searches.

#18 ·
I am STILL lovin' my Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x33 EFR mounted on my CZ 452 Varmint in .22LR.

One month ago I purchased a VX Freedom 1.5-4 w/pig plex reticle for high power competition on my Service Rifle and it is working very well for me.

Perhaps there are much better scopes out there but for my budget the VX Freedom line has been within reach and still beyond my skill level.

#20 ·
Yep, TBR and Sage, trying to find a 1" tube scope of almost any power above 9X that will focus down to 25 yards or less, and with a reticle that doesn't look like a city street map is really difficult (a duplex works fine for me). There are the cheap Chinese scopes, but not interested. And a gloss finish scope to mount on an old classic -- good luck! The only one of the latter that I'm aware of is the Clearidge Ultra 3-9x32 AO which is quite a nice scope. Will pendulum swing back again???

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.